Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 400ex mods  (Read 9418 times)
jaxdawg

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

what would you do to a 400ex engine.  i was thinking of what engine mods i could do to it.  already have k&n filter, jet ket, white brothers pipe, and dyna FS ignition
DZ 350
Supreme Member

Lift Your Truck, Fat Chicks Cant Jump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:14:03 PM »

send the bike to ATP they send it back dialed in, they will do all the engine work!! horsepower machines !!

-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:29:56 PM »

how much power do u wnat out of it
i would get a hot cams stage 2 and make it a 416 or u can go bigger like a 426,440, also they have a 460 kit and they also have 500 kit
                                                                                        ^  im geting one this summer

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
jaxdawg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »

why do so many people have the 416?  it seems to be the most popular
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »

More reliable.

When you have a bike with more power that it was intended for, it takes a while to get it started and warmed up. A  416 isnt that much larger than stock, therefore it will be noticable, but not a pain.

Just a recomendation, dont get the 500 kit..

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »

More reliable.

When you have a bike with more power that it was intended for, it takes a while to get it started and warmed up. A  416 isnt that much larger than stock, therefore it will be noticable, but not a pain.

Just a recomendation, dont get the 500 kit..

y do u say that have u had experinces with them befor Huh

DROP & DESTROY
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »

why get a 500cc kit? Unless you first of all, like to buy 45dollars worth of race gas, and when you turn it off, you have to wonder if that will be the last time before you have to rebuild it.

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
jaxdawg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:34:19 AM »

how much power do u wnat out of it
i would get a hot cams stage 2 and make it a 416 or u can go bigger like a 426,440, also they have a 460 kit and they also have 500 kit
                                                                                        ^  im geting one this summer
as much power as i can get without putting to much stress and pressure on the engine.  what about getting an edlebrook carb for it
TurboBanshee_kid
Supreme Member

banshee's 4 life and 2stroke's 4 life!!!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:35:04 AM »

why when you get the engine work Roll Eyes

New to the Engine 421cc Cheetah Cubs that are fully race ported, Hot Rods 4mm Stroker Crank, Ricky Stator fly wheel and 200watt stator also timing plate is at +5, NOSS Head with 17cc domes, V force 3 reeds and 36mm MIKUNI Flat Slide carbs
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 07:15:16 AM »

I've only got a 406 in mine, but everyone who rides it thinks it's much better.

ATP is the Honda horsepower king.

If you ever get the chance to meet me out on a ride, I'll let you ride mine and see what you think.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »

I would suggest tuning the power that you have and use what you have. once you stroke and poke the internals you may run into reliablity problems. maybe the sleeve coming out of the cylinder and locking the motor while riding,....HINT HINT
SERIOUSLY you might want to consider sprockets to better use the power you have you learned alittle on jetting this weekend. tuning is a key. just bolting things on and hoping to go fast is not beneficial. porting a cylinder head ,maybe an option
larger head pipe for increased top end.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:07 AM »

you dont have to have a huge unreliable bore to get power, there are other ways such as porting, cams, carb.I would just go with a 426, and get cams, porting, maybe a carb...
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 10:52:36 AM »

never thought to ask but what year is your EX?

reason I ask is that if it's within the 4-6 year old range, don't bore it out unless you are prepared for some reliability issues.

This was something that was found out after my 400EX went through three headgaskets in the span on a month.  When those engines get to that age range, the metal of the middle of the engine where the sleeve is(don't know the name) get's brittle.  This causes the head bolts to come loose when it gets hot and whammo, there goes your head gasket.

The only REAL fix for the situation is to get a new piece and start over.

There are kits out there that claim with stronger bolts you can get by, but to make absolutely sure that it will hold together you need a new metal piece.

and it aint cheap.

Just ask ATP about it and they will steer you in the right direction.

and follow the advice of Mr. Norris above.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
jaxdawg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 01:46:44 PM »

it's a 2001.  i was thinking about going from a 15 tooth to a 16 tooth front sprocket to get more power.  i've had previous experince with a 300ex that had a wiesco piston in it,  but after a couple rides the piston sleeve chipped and the pieces got all cought up in the cylinder or somethin like that.  so i'm not real sure if a big bore kit or hot cams is the way to go
Hollywood
Supreme Member

Team ATP Racing #8

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »

Listen to what Ida and Billl are saying they are both knowledgeable on the subject. The 416 or 406 can make plenty of power and still be reliable. Stay away from the 500cc bore/stroke combo's there are a lot of problems that go along with them. Only way to build a reliable big bore in a 400ex is to fork out the big bucks for a Duncan PC4000 billet cylinder. It elimates all the problems w/ stock of pulling the head studs from the constant heat and most of the overheating issues since you have a lot of extra cylinder wall.

'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr
Mrs.Nightbreed
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »

Also, to add: J&E pistons don't have the brakage problem that you described from the Wiseco. We use J&E in everything we can. I have only used other brands when a JE is not available. 

Whether you stay with a stock bore or a little bigger don't go too high on the compression if you want reliability. The high compression tends to stretch out the studs and you will have to replace them. Not to mention the added expense of race fuel.

If you have your heart set on more than just portwork I would recommend a 416 with a 10.8:1 JE piston. It will have more power, still be reliable and you can use pump gas.
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »

Are there any problems with really modded 400's overheating when ridden hard?  It can get hot here in the summer, and if you're in the mud, forget about it.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »

it's a 2001.  i was thinking about going from a 15 tooth to a 16 tooth front sprocket to get more power.  i've had previous experince with a 300ex that had a wiesco piston in it,  but after a couple rides the piston sleeve chipped and the pieces got all cought up in the cylinder or somethin like that.  so i'm not real sure if a big bore kit or hot cams is the way to go

The 16 tooth sproket with not give you more power it will however use the power you have at a different level. in a nut shell you  will increase you top end speed. and you will not shift as often or has fast. you will find the you will use more of the gear you are in.
Hollywood
Supreme Member

Team ATP Racing #8

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »

Are there any problems with really modded 400's overheating when ridden hard?  It can get hot here in the summer, and if you're in the mud, forget about it.

Not sure how modded you mean but I have never had a problem with mine overheating. in the bigger bores though yes it will produce some heat problems due to the very thin cylinder walls.

As far as the sprocket goes the 16 tooth will give you more top end with a little smoother acceleration while a 14 tooth will give you a little harder accl. but lose some top end. Also with the 16 you can't run a case guard which isn't a great idea. You can also look into a rev box that get's the limiter up around 10K rpm....like a TC or Dyna but you will need some mods to get the motor to pull those kinda rpm's in the higher gears Like p&p, cam and pipe should well do it. I run the 14 tooth with 18" tires and can still hit 70+ mph in 5th just to give you an idea.

'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »

i got a 14 t and i hate it lol yea i can get threw the gears faster and much quicker but i hate it lol

DROP & DESTROY
jaxdawg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 07:37:12 PM »

ok so just to get an idea, how much would port work cost?  and how much more power would i get?
Hollywood
Supreme Member

Team ATP Racing #8

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »

Porting usually runs a couple 100 bucks...by itself won't make a heck of a lot of difference but along with a good cam, exhaust and maybe a piston.....then your talking a good bit of power...maybe around 10hp increase over stock. Give or take.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com