Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF nonprofit clean up group  (Read 3053 times)
turbojoe

New to the big scrub area

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »

Im kinda new to this whole situation, I just started riding in ONF in the last 6 months.  My father bought property 3 miles from scrub that we can ride out from.  One thing i noticed is that there is a lot of trash out on the trails and i here i maybe loosing the right to ride on some of those trails,  I think if we as a large group of people with a commen intrest, could start a sort of corparation and all of us put in 20 to 50 bucks each year.  we could maybe pay some of the younger members who live close by to go out and pick up the trash on a weekly schedule. Many members make coments that ONF should be more like croom were we pay a yearly fee.  I think it should too, but if they arn't going to do it we should start our own nonprofit group to show the state we are doing something positve.  just an idea, dont know if it would work. but i would pay 1000 bucks if i didnt have to see trash, and it helped convince the state that we are a responsible group of people and not just a bunch mullet having dirtbags
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 09:32:13 AM »

Why pay someone to clean up? Why not just do what we've talked about doing so many times and just have a HUGE clean up/group ride. And instead of just relying on the people of this website why not go to our local atv/motorcycle shops/dealers after a date is set and post up flyers. There truely isnt that many members on this website (When you consider how many people in Florida ride). Obviously we as a group need to get the word out a lot more then what this website can do. I think we need to work together with dealers in order to get something worth talking about together.

-Ashley

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:33:01 AM »

all your points have been discussed before, try doing a search for ocala cleanup, or Rodman clean up,,,,we have done cleanup rides before.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
themensh

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:12:23 PM »

I suggested in earlier post about this group (ATVFLORIDA.COM) adopting part of highway 40 and riding and picking up trash.
  Not only would we be cleaning up the major thoroughfare through ONF...but we would be visible to motorists driving thoriugh.....and get
our site recognised by having the name posted on highway signs.
   Picking up trash on the trails is fine and dandy also......but sure would like to get a pat on the back every now and again.
   Picking up trash along the road.......the state provides orange vests, trash bags (and pick up).
   In my oopinion, cleaning up highway 40 would gives us better visibility
as far as "doing good".........Policing trash on the trails is a positive also......but I don't think it will effect the number of trails in the future.

Chuck 'roast
ATVXtreme

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:21:54 AM »

I have never been involved in a clean up before. I think everyone has good points. Maybe if chuck(roast) knows the ins and outs on how to do this, maybe chuck(roast)  can help you out. You might want to post something at big scrub. Maybe clean up 40 for awhile, then do part of the trails.

If both of you can get it together, and you let me the date, time and meeting place, I will put something in the local paper. After it is all done if you can give me some statistics like how many dumpster of trash were picked up.. I'll see about maybe putting that in the paper also.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »

I suggested in earlier post about this group (ATVFLORIDA.COM) adopting part of highway 40 and riding and picking up trash.
  Not only would we be cleaning up the major thoroughfare through ONF...but we would be visible to motorists driving thoriugh.....and get
our site recognised by having the name posted on highway signs.
   Picking up trash on the trails is fine and dandy also......but sure would like to get a pat on the back every now and again.
   Picking up trash along the road.......the state provides orange vests, trash bags (and pick up).
   In my oopinion, cleaning up highway 40 would gives us better visibility
as far as "doing good".........Policing trash on the trails is a positive also......but I don't think it will effect the number of trails in the future.

Chuck 'roast

good point, I had not thought about the visibility aspect of it.

I'll make some phone calls next week and see what's involved with adopting part of the highway.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
ATVXtreme

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 02:25:39 PM »

If there isn't enough people to help we should put it on different websites, and as SkyHighT100 says different ATV motorcycle shops.

Why pay someone to clean up? Why not just do what we've talked about doing so many times and just have a HUGE clean up/group ride. And instead of just relying on the people of this website why not go to our local atv/motorcycle shops/dealers after a date is set and post up flyers. There truely isnt that many members on this website (When you consider how many people in Florida ride). Obviously we as a group need to get the word out a lot more then what this website can do. I think we need to work together with dealers in order to get something worth talking about together.

-Ashley

themensh

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »

Ida_mann........
search on 'florida adopt a highway' or something like that.  You will find
a site that even gives you a form to fill out and also outlines what the state of florida will provide (orange vests, trash bags, sign for the highway. etc).
  I don't know how far MY authority goes as far as involving this website.....(that's where a "CLUB" comes into play, elected officials, rules/regulations and that sort of stuff)
  There isn't a BIG requirement.....once a quarter or so to remove trash........
  But I think this site could use a "ATVFLORIDA.COM has adopted this highway" sign. 
    One mile on either side of the access road to Scrub (off Route 40) would be a good start!
shackles

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »

They do clean ups out there but it's usually the jeep clubs doing it from what I hear.  Maybe call one of the Ranger Districts and see if they can supply some stuff _trash bags, dumpsters, etc)
ATVXtreme

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 07:54:06 PM »

I think the florida jeepers does the north section. I believe the forest service will provide a dumpster, but maybe shackles is right - get in touch with the ranger district out there.
themensh

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinformationoffice/moreDOT/adopt.htm
http://www.floridasuicideprevention.org/adopt-a-highway.htm
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/statemaintenanceoffice/aah-agreement.pdf

Out of these three URLs.......should be enough info to get SOMETHING started?
  I am willing to ride and pick up trash......but I want a damn sign that says
I belong to a group that is WILLING TO PICK UP SOMEONES TRASH!!!
  I don't ask for much (really....)
  A friggin' sign.......
      No need to ask a RANGER for a trash bag, since the state will provide them to the people that adopt a highway  (along with orange vests)

(I have my own ORANGE vest)

I am finding it more and more that this site (ATVFLORIDA.COM) is not a leader in ATV rights, but more of a gripe site.   Gripes are fine, in as far as a gripe goes. 
Makes me feel better to pregnant dog sometimes......doesn't get anything done though.

chuck 'roast
themensh

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:29:56 PM »

PREVIOUS post.......:
  I typed   " BItc#"........came out as 'pregnant dog".
     so much for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com