Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: and the DOA and DOF reponse is.....  (Read 2351 times)
Mrs.Nightbreed

« on: April 05, 2005, 08:56:35 AM »

HERE IS THE RESPONSE I GOT FROM THE STATE AGRICULTURE AND FOREST DEPT

April 5, 2005

Dear Ms. Walker,

The Commissioner has asked me to respond to your letter.  I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns.  I assure you that the Division of Forestry (DOF) is doing everything in its power to allow the use of OHVs on state lands in a sustainable and responsible manner.  Additionally, the Commissioner of Agriculture, Governor, and Legislature are well aware that OHV operation has become increasingly popular as an outdoor recreational activity and that there are limited sites available on public lands.  This need was the basis for the T. Mark Schmidt OHV Safety and Recreation Act being passed in 2002 (Chapter 261, Florida Statutes).  

The Division continues to explore the possibility of OHV use on state forest lands and is working with the OHV Advisory Committee to try to identify other lands throughout the state to be designated as OHV trail systems or OHV recreational areas.  In fact, the DOF will be opening its first new OHV recreational trail system in July.  This site will occur on portions of Tate’s Hell State Forest and will have approximately 150 miles of trails.  We are also working to provide this activity on other parcels, including several potential sites in south Florida.  The DOF will continue to strive to provide new recreation areas and will work with other state, federal, and local agencies to give the responsible users what they deserve, reasonable access to public lands.

Please keep in mind that the DOF simply does not have final say on activities that occur on lands under its management.  There is a process that we or any other state agency must follow prior to allowing this or any other new activity.  This includes the submittal of a management plan for review and approval.  The management plan includes those activities proposed to take place on the lands.  Prior to any new activities, this plan must be approved by several entities including: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of State Lands, appropriate Water Management District, and the Acquisition and Restoration Council.

In order to keep the public informed of changes in the OHV program and possible new recreation areas, we now have a link on the Division of Forestry webpage, www.fl-dof.com <http://www.fl-dof.com/> .  I would like to applaud your efforts in volunteering on the Ocala National Forest.  These are the type of positive actions that go a long way in demonstrating the responsible nature of the majority of OHV users, thus offsetting some of the negative press from the irresponsible few.  

Sincerely,

Chris Reed, OHV Coordinator

FDACS – Division of Forestry

SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 09:30:40 AM »

Wanna hear something funny? That is the EXACT same email I got back from them. I think it is an automatic response, lol.

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Mrs.Nightbreed

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:55:11 AM »

Gee  I wonder if they even read the letters or just the title and then click the autopilot button Angry
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »

Yeah, it sure does make you wonder. It just shows that the only way to get any attention is to be loud Wink

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
CAOSPOP

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 10:43:28 AM »

Get a load of mine!!!!                                                                  

April 4, 2005

Dear Mr. Orol,

The Commissioner has asked me to respond to your letter.  I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns.  I assure you that the Division of Forestry (DOF) is doing everything in its power to allow the use of OHVs on state lands in a sustainable and responsible manner.  Additionally, the Commissioner of Agriculture, Governor, and Legislature are well aware that OHV operation has become increasingly popular as an outdoor recreational activity and that there are limited sites available on public lands.  This need was the basis for the T. Mark Schmidt OHV Safety and Recreation Act being passed in 2002 (Chapter 261, Florida Statutes).  

The Division continues to explore the possibility of OHV use on state forest lands and is working with the OHV Advisory Committee to try to identify other lands throughout the state to be designated as OHV trail systems or OHV recreational areas.  In fact, the DOF will be opening its first new OHV recreational trail system in July.  This site will occur on portions of Tate’s Hell State Forest and will have approximately 150 miles of trails.  We are also working to provide this activity on other parcels, including several potential sites in south Florida.  The DOF will continue to strive to provide new recreation areas and will work with other state, federal, and local agencies to give the responsible users what they deserve, reasonable access to public lands.

Please keep in mind that the DOF simply does not have final say on activities that occur on lands under its management.  There is a process that we or any other state agency must follow prior to allowing this or any other new activity.  This includes the submittal of a management plan for review and approval.  The management plan includes those activities proposed to take place on the lands.  Prior to any new activities, this plan must be approved by several entities including: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of State Lands, appropriate Water Management District, and the Acquisition and Restoration Council.

In order to keep the public informed of changes in the OHV program and possible new recreation areas, we now have a link on the Division of Forestry webpage, www.fl-dof.com <http://www.fl-dof.com/> .

Sincerely,

Chris Reed, OHV Coordinator

FDACS – Division of Forestry

CAOSPOP

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 10:45:28 AM »

This is what i found out at there web-site you think we should all go !!!!!

Off-Highway Vehicle
Safety and Recreation Act Guidelines
Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee Meeting:
April the 26th from 1 pm to 7 pm
International Game Fish Association Hall of Fame and Museum
300 Gulf Stream Way
Dania Beach, FL 33004

For more information, contact: Chris Reed at 352/ 544-5136, email reedj1@doacs.state.fl.us.

Acknowledgements and Message from Commissioner

Bronson Where to Ride:
Public and Private

Florida OHV Laws

Appendix: Chapter 261
1.1 The 2002 Florida Statutes Title XVIII Chapter 261; Public Lands and Property

Off-highway Safety and Recreation Off-Highway Vehicle Safety and Recreation Act REPORT- in pdf (filesize 850k)

Guidebook in pdf (filesize 780k)

The passage of the T. Mark Schmidt Off-Highway Vehicle Safety and Recreation Act (Chapter 261, F.S.) has provided the State of Florida with a set of guidelines to follow for maintaining and providing state lands for Off-Highway Motorcycle (OHM) and All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) users.

An important aspect of Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use is understanding the legal requirements and responsibilities associated with this recreational activity. The guidebook contains essential information for OHV users and answers to frequently asked questions about OHV use on public lands, roads and trails. Rules and rates contained in this guidebook are subject to change. Please contact each site for current information.

Safe Riding Tips
An enjoyable OHV riding experience begins with safety. While some safety guidelines may be required by law, good riding means planning, safety and  

• Always ride within your abilities.

• Dress to spill- wear appropriate protective gear.

• Travel in a group of two or more riders.

• One rider per machine (unless the machine is designed for two).

• Riders under 16 years old should always be supervised by an adult.

• Do not ride a machine that is too big for you.

• Always provide someone with a ride plan. This should include where and when you are riding, as well as a return time and date.

• Be in shape to take all the punishments a trail will offer. Be prepared to walk out in case of breakdown.

• Prepare for the unexpected- your emergency kit should include the items in the Trip Planning Checklist (below).

• Check the weather forecast before leaving.

• Do not drink alcohol and ride.

• Obey all traffic and information signs.

For additional information on safety contact:
TrailTamers: Telephone (407) 492-8687; e-mail TrailTamers@netscape.net
Motorcycle Safety Foundation Dirt Bike School; Telephone (877) 288-7093
ATV Safety Institutes ATV Rider Course; Telephone (877) 288-7093

Courtesy, Ethics and the Environment
Share the trail- give non-motorized trail users the right of way.

Stay on the trail- riding off the trail damages wildlife habitat and contributes to erosion.

Keep the noise down. Remember- less sound means more ground.

Do not litter. If you packed it in, pack it out.Stay on designated trails.

Keep out of closed areas and off private property.

Always use TREAD Lightly and RIGHT RIDER principles. For additional information on TREAD Lightly, visit their website at www.treadlightly.org

TREAD Lightly:
Travel and recreate with minimum impact
Respect the environment and the rights of others
Educate yourself _ plan and prepare before you go
Allow for future use of the outdoors _ leave it better than you found it
Discover the rewards of responsible recreation

Protect your Privilege
Riding on public lands is a privilege, not a right. As such, it can be taken away if riders don't do everything they possibly can to protect it.
Responsible riders protect their privilege by:

Staying on designated trails
Keeping out of closed areas and off private property
Following applicable rules, regulations and laws

Trip Planning Checklist
All safe and enjoyable activities start with proper planning. Always provide someone with a ride plan. This should include where and when you are riding, as well as a return time and date. Make sure you and your machine are in top operating condition. Call ahead to see whether site conditions are conducive to riding.

Using the following checklist will help ensure that that your experience is an enjoyable one:

Title of OHV
Protective gear _ helmet, goggles, boots, gloves, body protection, long pants and shirt
Plenty of food and water
Extra fuel and oil
Tool kit
First aid kit
Extra spark plugs
Flashlight
Tow strap or rope
Waterproof matches
Duct tape and electrical tape
Tire repair kit
A good map of the area, a compass and GPS
Cell phone or 2-way radio
Camera

PROPER PLANNING
PREVENTS
POOR PERFORMANCE

Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Best Viewed In ... | Department Site Map
© 2004-2005 Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services  
CAOSPOP

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »

I also got this response Get readdy !!!

I assume you are referring to the OHV Advisory Committee meeting in Dania Beach on the 26th of this month.  This meeting is a public meeting and your input is desired.  These meetings are held about every three months in a different region of the state.  Typical discussions include: OHV titling update, grant program update (where is title money being spent), status of potential new OHV sites, public outreach, and public input.  Discussions may also touch on various agencies discussing their land management policies and what they are doing to offer any OHV opportunities.  

If this is something that interests you, let me know and I will send an agenda once it is finalized.

Chris
budman
Supreme Member

No, I'm not depressed...I'm just guarding my beer!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 03:07:15 PM »

Lets go...power in numbers...

www.rratv.net

2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)