Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need HELP....Think it's a Scam?  (Read 5290 times)
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2005, 08:07:34 PM »

OK, my parents have a boat for sale it's been in the boat Trader and in the paper for about 2-3 months, they are contacted from a guy in Germany and he wants the boat site unseen  Shocked As soon as they told me I said it was a scam.....But they think I know everything  Angry Mom says they guy is transferring the money to a woman in Ft. Lauderdale and she will pay for the boat and when they get the "Cashiers Check" or (I would want CASH) they will mail the title.  

So this guy is going to pay like 20,000.00 for a boat and have it shipped to Germany...I just find this hard to believe Huh..... It's a 25' Maxim (Cheese Wedge as I call it Rolling on the Floor Laughing)
I know we had a thread awhile back about internet scams but I did not see it.

Any Comments?

Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:19:22 PM »

My brother was selling something on ebay and was contacted from the guy that wanted to buy it and had a story very similar to that one, he didnt even answer the guy and said it was a scam.

Seems fishy imo

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:23:34 PM »

I wouldn't do that. My dad is a HUGE talk radio junkie and he listens to this financial expert named Clark Howard. He is nothin but how to spend and save money. My dad said that if it is from europe then not to trust it right there. But there is a ring going around and these people say they are from some other country and they are buying these cars and boats and giving people FORGED checks and then the people who owned the car or whatever deposits the check and gets the money and then 10 days later there bank calls and says that the check was no-good and all that money had to be payed back..  This girl that lives up north somewhere called into his show and said that a man claimed that he wanted to buy he car. He said he wanted the car and that he would give her a cashiers check and he would pay to have the car shipped to his house. So she did and the check was mailed or however it got there. So she stopped by the bank, deposited the check, got her money and went straight to the delership and bought a new one. 10 days later the bank called and said that the check was no-good and all that money had to be payed back. She sold the car and some other posessions to pay for it. So i DEFINTLEY would not do that. Go to http://www.ClarkHoward.com to get more info and if your parents are dead set on the deal then tell them to go to this site first.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:24:55 PM »

Well if you get $20,000 cash sell it.  Let them arrange shipping.  But I would look into it first.  But hey if you get clean money why not.  "If it sounds too good to be true it's not."

Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »

don't do it, its a big scam give the guys email to the FBI

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:28:53 PM »

FBI why?  People these days call the FBI for anything just don't sell it.

Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »

Son, would you please stop and think before you type. If you didn't sound like such a dingbat then people would actually listen to you and reply to you on a positive note.
Think about that before you hit the send button next time.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
ppark350se
Supreme Member

hustle muscle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »

Son, would you please stop and think before you type. If you didn't sound like such a dingbat then people would actually listen to you and reply to you on a positive note.
Think about that before you hit the send button next time.

lol thats great but yes send it to the fbi they do crimes like this all the time.

dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »

Kawgirl, tell your parents NOT TO GO THROUGH with this!!!!!!!!!
 That is one of the oldest scams in the book!
 If someone was willing to spend 20k for the boat they sure as heck could find one in Germany, and not have to " pay" shipping.
     Get your parents to read some of the replies to this thread and maybe they will be conviced.   If they are still set on it , at least have them talk to your local Post Master general, I am sure they will be given plenty of info from them                         GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
dreadhed

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 10:23:08 PM »

I am a talk radia nut too.  I listen to Clark Howard too, & he would say don't do it.  I would not take a cashiers check.  The check will clear then your parents will let him take the boat.  Then a month or 2 later the bank will say it was a fake.  Then they are on the hook to repay the bank.  Banks suck at looking for bad cashiers check.  I just heard how all this works the other day on Clark Howard.  Dave Ramsey who does a show on the same thing would say not to do it ether.
RL400
Supreme Member

Keep the rubber side down.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 10:24:02 PM »

Be safe, and dont do it.  I'm sure there will be other people out there looking to buy it.

rl.
The hyrbid kid
Supreme Member

LIFE'S SHORT RIDE HARD.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »

i wouldnt so do it its a gaint scam..........
and i would love to say somthing about raptor700r but i did and got banned so ima let him go.. even though he doesnt post a single thread thats help full..

07 CHEVY 2500HD DURMAX LMM 4X4..
06 TRX450R FULL WALSH  AND AXIS... SOON TO BE WHITE..
03 CRF450EX FULL HOUSER AND AXIS.. HYBRID BABY..
bluesman
Supreme Member

03 ds650baja/03kfx 400/ 03kfx 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 05:10:17 AM »

Very simple when you get the full 20k in cash you let them take the boat and title!!!!!    not before!!!
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 06:03:48 AM »

and i would love to say somthing about raptor700r but i did and got banned so ima let him go.. even though he doesnt post a single thread thats help full..

Send me a PM if you wanna say somehing... Grin

wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 07:32:50 AM »

I have 25,000 worth of gold 1 ounce bars that I will trade them. Will pick up the boat in the morning. see you then.  Grin

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 07:36:32 AM »

Dude, you didn't get banned for saying anything to raptor700r. I made a post explaining what happened. Someone was banned for a day and several peoples host address got included in that ban by accident. As soon as we realized what happened the problem was corrected.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 09:23:34 AM »

It is a scam. If the people can just dish out $25,000 site unseen then they can afford to come pick it up themselves. You cannot trust a cashiers check any more because with computers these days people can make them up themselves. I would not take a chance on having my boat taken to germany on a chance that the check is good.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 09:42:36 AM »

Send me a PM if you wanna say somehing... Grin

We all send you PM's to tell you to shutup, but you don't listen, so whats the point?

kawGIRL, I found this on a site  www.carbuyingtips.com

"
Let me get this straight. Your little old car isn't selling to anyone locally or in the U.S. Are you really that stupid to think someone thousands of miles away on another continent is going to buy your car? Are you that gullible? If you drive on the right side of the road in America, why does someone in the U.K. who drives on the left side of the road want your American car? Are you that stupid to think that some stranger in another country is going to send you MORE money than your asking price and trust YOU to make change and send them the remainder? Besides, what business do you have dealing with a foreign buyer? Are you nuts? I got an idea, go to Western Union, and wire me all the money in your bank account. Just leave $50 to get you to Friday. Wouldn't you rather give all your money to me, someone you love, rather than deal with the heartache of knowing you got scammed? Let's turn you into a donkey.

USE YOUR HEAD!
A buyer in the UK or Africa does not need to a buy a Camry from you, they can get all the same cars over there. As I alluded above, why would someone in the UK want an American marketed car when the steering wheels are on the right hand side of the car in England? Did you ever consider that? Think about this: How often do you see her en America a car with the steering wheel on the right hand side? How often do you buy a car from the U.K.? SO you can see they really have no legit reason to buy your car. Any time a buyer outside the U.S. wants to buy your car, a big red flag should go up."

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/nigerian-scams.htm

yes they are mainly talking abou tmigerian scams, but it does say the "buyers" claim to be from UK, Germany, and Scotland too.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 09:46:04 AM »

hmmm, got to thinking about this. I say go with it, just don't spend the money so when it is discovered its a bad check they have it to pay back. When its time to ship the boat goto a junk yard or buy one form some guy for $250 that is just a big 1950 hull rotten out, and ship that to them. You might lose a little money, but it would be worth it.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 10:41:14 AM »

THANKS for all your advice everyone, I gave them all the information that this is a scam, we will see if they blow me off or not  Bang Head

I did find this from Autotraderonline....
They had the boat listed here so maybe they will believe this Dunno

Common-Sense Advice for Sellers
Selling a car you find online is a lot like selling a car through a classified ad in the newspaper. In either case, use your best judgment.

Confirm contact information
Be particularly wary of buyers willing to purchase your car sight-unseen, especially buyers located overseas. Always verify the buyer's street address and phone number.

Secure payment first
Do not transfer the title until you have payment in hand at the agreed upon price.

Verify that a certified check is genuine
Before you deposit a certified check, verify authenticity with the issuing bank—not just your bank. Make sure the account contains sufficient funds and the issuing bank guarantees payment on the check. It may take a week or more for the check to clear. It hasn't cleared just because your bank has accepted it and credited your account.

Beware of overpayment or other complicated payment schemes
Don't agree to any plan where the buyer asks to send a check for more than the sale price and requests that the seller refund the difference. And be suspicious of any buyer who proposes making payment through a friend or agent of the buyer.

When they bought this boat we told them not to buy that kind of boat... the resale $ucks ...I think they are just trying to prove us wrong Bang Head
So now they have bought a 35' Sport Fishing/Diving boat.....Hello Looney it took them 4 years to figure that one out Huh

gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 09:41:51 AM »

[So now they have bought a 35' Sport Fishing/Diving boat.....Hello Looney it took them 4 years to figure that one out Huh

now that sounds like a nice boat.

at first i had an 18' trihull with a rinky dinky chrysler 70.
then a reinell 19 with 4 cyl. i/o
then a 1975 searay 25' with (2) 6cyl i/o.

all of the above=piece of craps.

now i've had a 1978 mako 211 and have had it for about 5 years now and its the best boat ever. open fishermen are the way to go.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com