Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friends of the Forest  (Read 8354 times)
jwscroll
Supreme Member

Singin sweet song, a melody pure and clear

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2005, 06:35:44 AM »

I found this at the division of Forestry website.

Friends of Florida State Forests,Inc.
3125 Conner Blvd., C-25
Tallahasse, Fl. 32399-1650

I'm trying to find out more about this group and what impact they have on decisions made about the state parks. Anyone else ever heard of these people?
Haven't found a website yet. Will post when I do.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 11:50:58 AM »

Sounds like  Wacko   tree-huggers! Dunno

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:08:19 PM »

friends of the forest= psycho people!

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 12:19:27 PM »

http://www.floridastateforests.org/index.html

Looks like they are mostly hikers and bird watchers/picture takers.
foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 12:24:04 PM »

The prefix of FRIENDS of the what ever is very common in here florida .
Here are some other examples .
  -Friends of Big Cypress National Preserve
    http://www.friendsofbigcypress.org/history.htm

-Friends of the Fakahatchee
     http://www.friendsoffakahatchee.org/

These are all enivronmental groups and have nothing in common with atv'rs .
Keep that in mind when you encounter them . I would suggest some atv folks join these organizations and become active just no mention of your interests  . Its good to have an  insider in these clubs.
The two listed above already have moles in them . Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 12:31:13 PM by foreman1 » Logged

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »

Good deal. Was thinking the same thing, why are they considered the only Friends?

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
foreman1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 07:23:33 PM »

Good deal. Was thinking the same thing, why are they considered the only Friends?

Thats an excellent question hardly anybody ever asks these like minded people. I've attended meetings  not as a hunter or off road vehicle user but as an novice "bird watcher and orchid enthusiats " and the impression i get is one of a bit arrogance . They talk about these areas which are state or co-managed by the DOI AS IF THEY ARE THE AUTHORITY . i HAD TO BITE MY TONGUE . DONT EVER SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS AROUND THEM , justt sit back and get educated on their motives .

You be surprised how well funded some of these groups are . They apply for many state and federal grants for research etc. Try to get a grant for your ATV CLUB , youl'll get laughed at . 

Watch them and llearn how they operate , they will have a say i what future area we get and what types of rercreation will be allowed .

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Honda250ex
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 09:21:23 PM »

Tree hugers are the people on the list to shoot

'03 F-250 7.3L
Lawn Service 4Sale w/equipment!!
98% of all ATV'ers FLOOR their quads if your the 2% then your GGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@@@@@@@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 06:30:50 AM »

Folks we need to do everything we can to infiltrate these groups, any one with info on these groups please pm me the info. The Friends have recieve recognition from the Governor for their service to the forests, how many cleanup rides have THEY done? I'm willing to bet that the contribution was to Jebs Campaign Fund.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
lisa

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:32:49 AM »

NO! NO!NO! Guys! They are the ones who set up the trails in Tates Hell! As far as "good" guys, well, they are NOT tree huggers for sure. In fact, JW CALL ME!!! Okay, enough shouting, sorry guys; I just want to get the point across they really are not that bad.

The Friends of Floridas State Forests are not the best, but they are alright. They are a division of Florida's Forestry division. So far, the Forestry Division is accepting of public access in most state forests.

I saw that someone was wanting to get a group across the state working towards keeping access open. Florida's Trail Riders was mentioned. I have a good rapport with one of the main guys of FTR. The biggest problem facing the ATV crowd is exactly what those of you interested in keeping access open have been complaining about, not organized!

Look, I have been trying to get folks together too. My suggestion? Get a few folks together, via email, section of this board, my board, whatever; and form a club with dues of $5.00 each. That will get you all membership to the Florida 4 Wheel Drive Association. That would help the few of you trying to get things together a larger voice. ATVs and 4 wheelers want the same thing, open trails. By being with us, the FL4WDA, you have a larger voice, and working with me (who has been trying to get things going for you even though I am not an ATVer) you will also make sure your needs are met.

JW, call me! If you get my voice mail, leave a time I can call you back. 

Loven It, I didn't realize you were in Ocala. Go to the http://www.floridajeepers.net message boards and look up Jeeptoberfest posts. I won't be able to make it, but there will be a both for the FL4WDA. Tell them I sent you, talk to them. If you would like to meet me, that can be arranged.

There is an OHV workshop/meeting to be held the first week of May. When I get more details up, I will post them here and on my message board; http://floridaequalaccess.org/forum/

That is all I have time for right now.

In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 12:13:38 PM »

I am trying to keep the fire burning by sending emails, messages and making calls, etc. I am also a member of ATVMIAXTREME.com and most of the guys over there are also sending them. We are trying to keep nagging them so that when the time comes, they know we are a big group and will not stop until something is done.

LISA: Perhaps we can become an association within the UFWDA:
ATVFLORIDA and ATVMIAXTREME ($25.00 and $25.00). For $50.00 we get quite a bit. Check it out:

http://www.ufwda.org/joinunited.htm

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:23:49 PM by Eworm » Logged
lisa

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:10:32 PM »

Fl4WDA is already a memeber!  Tongue  We are on top of this. Actually the founding officers of Fl4WDA joined UFWDA. That is probably where they got the  idea for the name: Fl4WDA.

FL4WDA has also become a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, and member  clubs, officers and directors are expected to promote Treadlightly. GPSKurt can tell you I try to stay on top of the issues too!  Wink

In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904
grass-catcher

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 11:00:55 PM »

Lisa,Thank you for youre efforts on behalf of all us.We all talk about doing
something to improve our situation.But the only problem is it takes a lot
of hard work and determination.Myself included ,I have griped about lack
of areas to ride etc.But in the course of day to day life we get busy with all
of the trappings of adult life.Too much to do not enough time,It seems to
me that a lot of enviro-animal groups have members that all they do is fight
for their causes.I wish that time wasnt such a precious commodity these days.So I wouldnt be armchair quarterbacking .Thank you and keep up the
good-fight.

Darry Smith
jjamesbar
Supreme Member

beware of the green trucks

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 06:59:37 AM »

The prefix of FRIENDS of the what ever is very common in here florida .
Here are some other examples .
  -Friends of Big Cypress National Preserve
    http://www.friendsofbigcypress.org/history.htm

-Friends of the Fakahatchee
     http://www.friendsoffakahatchee.org/

I would suggest some atv folks join these organizations and become active just no mention of your interests  . Its good to have an  insider in these clubs.
The two listed above already have moles in them . Wink

in reference to your post

like the godfather said "stay close with your friends and closer with your enemies"

jeff

keep doin what your doin your gonna get what you got
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 05:05:50 AM »

Okay folks I talked to Lisa a little yesterday about this. We need to form an official club to be recognized by the state as a group. Then we can work towards a community goal by making ourselves heard better.
I expect a better response from this crowd than this.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
qt314nfla

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 09:28:06 AM »

Ok, so does a group need to be formed or are we a group here.  Also, Lisa has a group she belongs to.  So then the first question is do we join another group in addition to the one we are currently a part of, or do we create another club or group that we all join.   Starting a new club will likely incur legal fees for how to create a recognized group.  I could be wrong I'm just posing possibilities.
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 11:22:09 AM »

I'll find out more today or tonight, but I think QT is right. We, as a club< will probably have to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition among other things. Like I said, let me get some more details and I'll post about it then. Another possibility is to use an existing club, I think.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 12:40:25 PM »

man, i cant stand these people. There are people out there that could care less about litering and taking care of the forest, but for the most part, us atv'ers do our part in taking care of it as well. What these groups need to attack is businesses that tear down land to put up cement when its not needed. Just recently there was a small place near me that we use to take our trucks and atv's every once and a while and have some fun, just staying on the trails. But now some jackass with money put up a house on the edge of the property and i guess bought all the property (even though he has a fence lining the yard) and put up no trespassing signs. He's cut down about 3-4 acres of forest now. what a jackass! You cant bring you trucks back here and mess up our land, but we can go ahead and destroy it. It does me no good posting this on here but i had to vent.

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 03:40:36 AM »

The next public OHV meeting will be held on November 15, in Stuart, still waiting on directions. Not sure if we need to show up in force or if we just need a represenative or two, either way we need to get organized if we want to have any riding areas left. Still finding out more info, doing most of my research on my lunch hour so it takes s little while.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 06:03:37 AM »

www.becomeafriend.org/index.php
I don't know how to create a link but check out this site. It will also lead you to another site called The National Forest Foundation. We could probably use alot of info from both sites.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
needforspeed

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 09:08:05 PM »

Friends groups are volunteer groups that support a particular oganization. There are many friends groups in the area, there is a friends of the rainbow river, friends of the library, friends of the forest. They have no real say in policy matters, they support their organization by suppling them with the needs that are not in the budget. Simply put they will donate money to the organization for items that are in need that the budget will not cover. They have no real politcal say in matters.

Last year or the year before when the whole issue of the trail system began, the forest service supposefully had a representative from each group that uses the forest. There was a representative from the 4 wheel drive  the bicycle  the motorcycle etc. That is probably whom you should talk to about airing your opinions to. Trying to stop what is going to happen or has happened regarding the trails, you should have spoke up last year, it is too late now. If you are looking for someone to voice your concerns to you should probably look at someone in Washington.

Perhaps instead of paying the legal fees etc for forming a club, maybe the ATV's and the 4 wheel drive clubs can use one another to fight for the cause so to speak.
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 04:41:52 AM »

As far as the friends having no say your wrong, look deeper into the website for the Friends and you'll see what I mean. As far as changing the way things are, thats what change is all about, changing the way things are now.
I know that some of you are not going to follow any of the rules set forth by the USFS or the FWC but keep in mind that every time an OHV breaks the law it affects all OHV riders. What we need to change besides the rules are our own attitudes toward riding land, it's not a government given right to ride so why do we act like it is? For most it's the thrill of the ride or a passion for the wilderness, either way the amount of land available to ride is shrinking quickly and if we don't do some thing to stop it we'll all be truckin a couple of hundred miles to ride.
As far as being a worthless group. the friends helped to open Hells Tate to OHV activity again, I'm suggesting we at least become friends with the Friends to see what else they can do to help us out.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
qt314nfla

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »

As far as the friends having no say your wrong, look deeper into the website for the Friends and you'll see what I mean. As far as changing the way things are, thats what change is all about, changing the way things are now.
I know that some of you are not going to follow any of the rules set forth by the USFS or the FWC but keep in mind that every time an OHV breaks the law it affects all OHV riders. What we need to change besides the rules are our own attitudes toward riding land, it's not a government given right to ride so why do we act like it is? For most it's the thrill of the ride or a passion for the wilderness, either way the amount of land available to ride is shrinking quickly and if we don't do some thing to stop it we'll all be truckin a couple of hundred miles to ride.
As far as being a worthless group. the friends helped to open Hells Tate to OHV activity again, I'm suggesting we at least become friends with the Friends to see what else they can do to help us out.

Great attitude and I second your thoughts on changing our attitudes about riding and following the rules.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 05:15:37 PM »

http://www.fs.fed.us/news/2005/releases/11/travel-management.shtml

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
jwscroll
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 05:28:02 AM »

Thanks aintskeered. That link will take you to the USFS webpage about the new ruling being handed down on OHV activity in the forests.
www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/final.pdf
This is the link to the Adobe file, this is considered the final draft.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com