Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Enough ?  (Read 4343 times)
ar963

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:29:06 AM »

I am thinking of getting my son a small quad (50cc).  He is almost 4.  I have seen some young kids with full body protection on quads riding Ocala. 

Any opinions or experiences with small kids ?   
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »

i'd say go for it but let him ride in a parking lot a few times before the trails.
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:01:43 AM »

Make sure you buy all the gear and never let them on it without it! No matter what! Wink

ar963

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

Thanks, 

Any suggestions on where to buy a small helmet and other safety gear ?
backinsaddle

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:13:15 AM »

Each child is different.  Do you think he will listen and do as told? 

I started my oldest on an eton 40 at 3 1/2.  Along with all the safety gear, I also bought helmet communicators so i could talk to him while he was riding and give him pointers.

My youngest is a wild man coming up on 3 years old.  I don't think he's going to be ready at that age as he has a mind of his own.  So the point is, only you can evaluate whether he is ready.
Lt55

Saving Lives!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »

Good idea Backinsaddle,I have a 7 yr old son and would like to keep track of him when we ride.How much are the helmet communicators and how far can you be for them to work or not work?
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:28:50 PM »

Thanks, 

Any suggestions on where to buy a small helmet and other safety gear ?

Try one of our site sponsors:

www.oaspowersports.com
www.extrememotorsales.com
www.floridaatvs.com

I think each kid has to be individually evaluated to see if he/she is ready. My 3 1/2 old girl would be all over the place on a quad right now. She's extremely smart, but just figured out the coordination to ride a big wheel recently. 6 months from now it could be totally different.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »

Oh yeah, check out Cycleworld's Kids section. They just ran a story this month on kids and motorcycles. Just about all this info applies to ATVs, too.

http://www.cycleworld.com/cwkids/index.php

Another good site with kids and quads in mind.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:36:38 PM by Mr.BoNeS » Logged

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
backinsaddle

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 02:43:26 PM »

Good idea Backinsaddle,I have a 7 yr old son and would like to keep track of him when we ride.How much are the helmet communicators and how far can you be for them to work or not work?

I'm using ones by chatterbox (www.hjc-chatterbox.com).  The cheap ones go about $200 each (cheaper on ebay) with 2 mile range, their high-end ones go for about $325 each, with 5 mile range...all their units are voice activated.  To keep it cheaper, you can get the helmet mount for him, and a handheld for yourself for about $30.  I also think you can probably make one yourself with a walkie-talkie (duct tape to helmet) and earphones attached to the inside of the helmet for a lot less money.  a third option is the garmin rino gps's that have built in radio communicators...they vary in price depending on the model you buy.

there are some other companies that make the helmet communicators, Collett i believe is one of them (do a web search).  Supposedly a lot of the guys that run the baja's use pci radios: http://www.pciraceradios.com/  Military spec, but expensive

hope this helps.

Mark
FloridaATVs-com

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 11:51:44 PM »

This is my son on his 50cc. This is after about 4 months of riding. He was 5 in this pic. I gave him this bike just before he turned 5. You should be just fine. Just make sure he is always wearing a helmet and he will get it on his own. I hardly had to teach my son anything. He grasped it pretty well. I just turned down the governor and within a week, I turned it back out and he has been fine.

Let me know if I can help out with your purchase of a 50 or a helmet. Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

dreth

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 07:36:56 AM »

my son started on a 50cc at the age of 3! but my son is very controlled and listens well! so its like they said, if you think your son will listen and is capable then go for it!!

this is my son at the age of 5 on his new lt80 Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Honda250ex
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:44:01 AM »

Dang dreth!!. Your son is doing better than you, Grin I got two cousin's and they both got 50's one is 4 and the other is 2 1/2 years old the four year old does not drive that good but the 2 1/2 year old has more commen sense but usally the 2 year old is with his dad.

'03 F-250 7.3L
Lawn Service 4Sale w/equipment!!
98% of all ATV'ers FLOOR their quads if your the 2% then your GGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@@@@@@@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
ar963

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 08:55:50 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.

bigscrub79
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 09:22:54 AM »

my son started on a 50cc at the age of 3! but my son is very controlled and listens well! so its like they said, if you think your son will listen and is capable then go for it!!

this is my son at the age of 5 on his new lt80 Grin
Like father, like son.

rappy350

faster than yours

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 01:53:38 PM »

The one thing you have to remember when you put a little kid on a quad is how easy they panic. My brothers son has a 50 and his throttle stuck once and he panicked so bad he couldnt hit the kill switch. Another thing when buying smaller quads is look for quality. My nephews quad is a piece of crap, the starter broke, and we have been waiting for 3 months for the company to ship us a starter that we have already paid for.

2005 Raptor 350(mine)
Hot cams camshaft
K&N High Flow Air filter
Dyno-Jet stage one jet kit
Razrs on the back
2005 Kodiak 400 w/winch(dad's)
2005 Wolverine 4x4 (brother's)
 Big Red (sister in-laws)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com