Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Group rides  (Read 1440 times)
needforspeed

« on: September 25, 2005, 06:32:47 AM »

I was up North for a ride last weekend, being a newbie to ATV group riding, it was awesome. There group rides were different than what I experienced here. What they did was a neat idea, I kinda liked it. There was a group of 60 people on the ride, before the ride the ride leader or whoever organized the group, asked us what our level of riding was. There were 3 levels, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. The difference in the groups was a beginner was easy terrain, fairly flat, and at a slow pace. The intermediate level the terrain was a little hillier, the pace was faster. The advanced was what ever the ride leader wanted to throw at you, at a need for speed pace. There was a designated ride leader for each group, and if someone wanted to they could do sweep. The motto was nobody gets left behind. The group waits at all the turns, if no one is at a turn; it was general knowledge that we went straight. Nobody got left behind.

Being a newbie I chose to do beginner. There was about 10 riders in our group, and it was cool I got to ride with people of my own level, it was fun. I wanted to do it again.

The thing is that there was no pressure on me to keep up with the group of expert riders; I didn’t have to ride over my head, perhaps get hurt, and end my experience of ATV riding all together. I think it was a lot safer approach to group riding, and it was a whole lot more fun. Some of the other advantages are that maybe an expert takes a beginner group out, and teaches them some techniques, or corrects something they are doing wrong, it makes for better riders all the way around. As you do more rides and get better at it, you advance up to the next level.

It is just a thought that maybe we can work it out in our group rides. Let me know what you think.
dreth

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »

we never leave a man behind so you can ride at your pace here! its just more an unspoken rule Grin
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 07:50:33 PM »

Where did you ride?

Welcome to the site, by the way!

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
needforspeed

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 07:51:55 AM »

Where did you ride?

Welcome to the site, by the way!

Rode in PA. The riding was great, the thing about the group we did more riding than we did waiting. I wasn't compelled to ride over my head to keep up with everyone. Something to think about on group rides. The group concept has been around for a long time. I have been on group rides with anything with wheels, from bicycles, to motorcycles, and the first for ATV's. It seems to work. The thing is isn't riding with a group about having more fun, riding more, and bringing beginner riders to a more advanced level.

Thanks for the welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com