Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Centennial Trail - Ocala National Forest  (Read 88709 times)
dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »

I am headed to centennial trail tomarrow f/r 13 trail head.i think that a lot of riders think the trails are motocrosss track i think they should take out the bad banked turns do a little rerouting i been hit to times from others coming in to bank the turn

Just ride
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »

really?!?!? i dont wanna sound like a thingy here but it is a trail ride. whooped out? comon..ya want it paved next? maybe we oughtta put up stop lights at the trail crossings and make sure we have mirrors at all the curves so ya can see around em.

i get it really i do..some p[eople ride with total disregard...my friend broke his collarbone in a head on on a trail at croom...we still rode there tho...

dont over regulate it and if the trail is only one way how will my 5 yr old be able to ride it? maybe i dont wanna go on a 4 hr ride..so i turn around and go back

geez man comon..yer riding in the woods...on a trail in the forest...yer lucky ya even got that

go ahead and bash...

gary

Yippie, I get to bash.  If you have been following this thread like I have, you would know we all help each other to let the rangers know where the trails are rough and trees are down.  I totaally under stand the deal with your 5 year old not wanting to ride the whole 42 or so miles...and now for the rude response from your rude responses, wait til you 5 year old gets hurt fro a head on or something then lets see what you think of safety.  Lack of 2 way trails is why my 6 yo does not ride Ocala.  This thread has been awsome for us riders.  Don't be a smart a$$ and speak about paved trails and mirrors
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:40:58 PM by Starbuc71 » Logged

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

I had a long conversation with a ranger about this. If they make the trail one way & some body
rides it the wrong way & a collision with injuries occures it puts the Forestry Service @ fault for not inforcing it!!!!!!! This happened in another state & a big payout was awarded in which the Forestry Service had to pay. After this they shut the trail down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't want to see this happen here.  People have to realize that the trails are not a closed race coarse & they are the only ones riding them. If they want to ride WFO go to a track & ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are always pro and cons to the one way trails.  I totally see the states point of view.  If it would jepordize our riding trails, keep them 2 way.  I have to say, even on the blind turns if you are driving normal speed, you could still have a good collision.  Thank God we have never ran into anyone riding like a motocross race as of yet

Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »

You can't fault a guy for saying a one way trail would be safer. It would, period. However diesel makes a good point about it becoming a longer trail with no out. In this case, maybe a cut through trail would be beneficial. I'm sure there aren't any one way trails in the works anytime soon, as that would require a LOT of changes.

One option I think would be good for everyone is adding one way trails off of the main two way loop. A lot of parks are going this way, and it's a great option. I will ride Ocala whether it one way or two way. But I would probably go every week if there were one way loops added eventually. Keep up the good work and giving us a place to ride!
I agree with Diesel about not being able to turn around with no out.  I actually never thought of that.  Probably the best part of his bashing me post...lol  I did hear a while back that there used to be a clearing somewhere  that kids could ride and have fun kinda like the pit at croom.  I know on the north trails at the TR on 19, there is a small kids area. 
  I love riding Ocala and never want to loose it.  I just don't want to end up terribly hurt over 100 miles away from home due to someone elses stupidity.  I also appreciate all the hard work Kris does to keep this trail maintained hence why I mentioned the whoops.  Some people need to chill out here and keep it a great source of info for all of us

dieselbeef

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »

its the best..well ride it n matter what..soon i hope
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »

[/quote]
  I just don't want to end up terribly hurt over 100 miles away from home due to someone elses stupidity. 
[/quote]

Totally Agree but "you can't fix stupid"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »

You can't fault a guy for saying a one way trail would be safer. It would, period. However diesel makes a good point about it becoming a longer trail with no out. In this case, maybe a cut through trail would be beneficial. I'm sure there aren't any one way trails in the works anytime soon, as that would require a LOT of changes.

One option I think would be good for everyone is adding one way trails off of the main two way loop. A lot of parks are going this way, and it's a great option. I will ride Ocala whether it one way or two way. But I would probably go every week if there were one way loops added eventually. Keep up the good work and giving us a place to ride!
I agree with Diesel about not being able to turn around with no out.  I actually never thought of that.  Probably the best part of his bashing me post...lol  I did hear a while back that there used to be a clearing somewhere  that kids could ride and have fun kinda like the pit at croom.  I know on the north trails at the TR on 19, there is a small kids area. 
  I love riding Ocala and never want to loose it.  I just don't want to end up terribly hurt over 100 miles away from home due to someone elses stupidity.  I also appreciate all the hard work Kris does to keep this trail maintained hence why I mentioned the whoops.  Some people need to chill out here and keep it a great source of info for all of us

That big pit like area was up around Roddam Reservoir.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
strubby

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »

I can't speak of there current trails as I haven't been to Ocala in way too long. You see, I am a sport rider, as are most of my friends and we like to ride them as they were intended. Would I rip around in 3-5th gears at Ocala? Now that's just stupid. That's why I also like the idea of one way trails (or loops off the main trail like I mentioned before). And that's also why I would go there more often if that ever happened. It is NOT safe to ride as fast as I like to at Ocala, 5A, or pretty much any other place I frequent, because you just don't know who may be coming your way on the other side of the turn. The comment about going to the track makes sense, but it's very hard to find a place with one way XC style trails. DFA is having problems as we speak. Is anyone who doesn't use common sense while riding an idiot? Yup. Doesn't matter what they are on.

So anyways... I see things a little differently than some of you because of my 'need for speed', but there is a time and place for it. Finding that place is the hard part. Since this is where we post suggestions, tips and express our thanks, I think this is fitting!

Oh, the other reason I haven't been to Ocala is because a few of my buddies don't have their bikes registered. Has anyone gone without troubles under the same circumstance? I read Kris said it would be ok, but it's an hour and half drive. I'd hate to leave them waiting in the parking lot all day  Laugh

'13 Scrambler 850 LE
'15 RZR 900 S
'15 RZR XP1000 Highlifter (SOLD)
'12 RZR XP900 LE (SOLD)
'08 Outlaw 450 MXR (SOLD)
dieselbeef

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »

http://www.tampabayridindirty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=6430ab77c84f93da6dd94122f65c6260&t=5657
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

Tell all of your "friends" to bring their unregistered bikes to ONF and let us know the date, we'll make sure they get a warm welcome!  Wink

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »

Enough said, one way trails don't sound that bad after the post on that link.  We'll see what is said here when one of us is the one screaming to the ER in pain after a nasty head on due to a stupid a$$ is racing on the trails.  I just hope it's never a child that gets hurt

dieselbeef

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 07:07:21 AM »

tat happened to a friend of mine at croom and he got a plate in his collarbone to remember it by....it happens...when people are F'IN STUPID Angry
strubby

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »

Tell all of your "friends" to bring their unregistered bikes to ONF and let us know the date, we'll make sure they get a warm welcome!  Wink

Really? That would be awesome! Only reason I haven't been in a long time is because they're afraid it'll be a wasted trip for them, so I have no one to go with. It's only an hour and half trip, I used to do it EVERY Saturday a few years back before all the changes. (nothing against the changes! My riding group sort of fell apart)

'13 Scrambler 850 LE
'15 RZR 900 S
'15 RZR XP1000 Highlifter (SOLD)
'12 RZR XP900 LE (SOLD)
'08 Outlaw 450 MXR (SOLD)
dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »

Blue sink trail block

* IMAG0181.jpg (126.16 KB, 640x384 - viewed 640 times.)

Just ride
dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

!

* IMAG0182-1.jpg (50.53 KB, 512x384 - viewed 601 times.)

* IMAG0182-1.jpg (50.53 KB, 512x384 - viewed 621 times.)

Just ride
dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

!!

* IMAG0183-1.jpg (44.9 KB, 456x384 - viewed 627 times.)

Just ride
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »

Hello All,

Sorry I've missed many conversations.  I have been at annual training for the National Guard.

I will be out on the trails this coming week to work on and access needs.

The one-way arguement.  Due to "liabilities" the Ocala NF will probably never go to "one-way" trails.  We cannot enforce/monitor this properly.  The issue arises when we mark it as one-way and then someone decides to turn around and head in the wrong direction for any number of reasons, good-intended or not.  When a collison occurs in this situation, the Govt can be held liable for not stopping this individual from doing so.  Obviously very hard to do as we cannot be on every mile of trail at all times.  We have signs on the highway for speeds and traffic laws, but they are not always obeyed.  A sign on our trail would seem to be no different. 

As for cutting out corners, we are still working on that for employee/volunteer benefit since we have to ride the trails towing equipment that takes our observation away sometimes, it is safer for us to see through a turn and then navigate it with the equipment.  A collateral benefit is that the riding public can now see through these curves as well.  I hope everyone understands this concept.

Our trails are designed for slow-riding, enjoyment of nature and the Ocala National Forest's ecosystems.  Not for speed and excitement.  There are other systems in the State that offer those thrills and we encourage you to use them!  We welcome anyone to our trails and hope that they enjoy a relaxing and fun ride with family and friends, or just the calm solitude of riding by yourself.  I will continue to monitor this site and improve the trail as often as I can.

Thanks,
Kris
dieselbeef

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »

just curious since yer here..whats the unofficial.... if the ranger catches me..... policy on firearms? i have run up on a bear more than once and at one time considerably closer than i would have wanted to be. thankfully the bear didnt seem to care and just walked off. we were on a marked trail i add.
i have no intention of using it for any purpose except poss self defense is if needed. fleeing would def be my first defense. im sure the bear can outrun me..as well as my wife and 5 yr old..
i have a carry permit and it would be out of sightin all likely hood. i would not ifre it unles i was def in fear for someones life
so what exactly would the ranger say if he was to happen to see me with it..inadvertantly

thanks..i know its off topic but easily answered here.
gary
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:27 PM »

Hello All,

Sorry I've missed many conversations.  I have been at annual training for the National Guard.

I will be out on the trails this coming week to work on and access needs.

The one-way arguement.  Due to "liabilities" the Ocala NF will probably never go to "one-way" trails.  We cannot enforce/monitor this properly.  The issue arises when we mark it as one-way and then someone decides to turn around and head in the wrong direction for any number of reasons, good-intended or not.  When a collison occurs in this situation, the Govt can be held liable for not stopping this individual from doing so.  Obviously very hard to do as we cannot be on every mile of trail at all times.  We have signs on the highway for speeds and traffic laws, but they are not always obeyed.  A sign on our trail would seem to be no different. 

As for cutting out corners, we are still working on that for employee/volunteer benefit since we have to ride the trails towing equipment that takes our observation away sometimes, it is safer for us to see through a turn and then navigate it with the equipment.  A collateral benefit is that the riding public can now see through these curves as well.  I hope everyone understands this concept.

Our trails are designed for slow-riding, enjoyment of nature and the Ocala National Forest's ecosystems.  Not for speed and excitement.  There are other systems in the State that offer those thrills and we encourage you to use them!  We welcome anyone to our trails and hope that they enjoy a relaxing and fun ride with family and friends, or just the calm solitude of riding by yourself.  I will continue to monitor this site and improve the trail as often as I can.

Thanks,
Kris

Once again Kris, thank you for all you do.  I totally understand the liability of the one way trail and the number of hairpin turns on the trail system to be thined out.  I guess having a close call with a head-on last week, it freaked me out.  no trail system will ever be perfect and in my opinion, Ocala is the best Florida will ever have.  I totally agree that the trail system was designed to liesurly ride and enjoy the "old" Florida.  Keep doing what your doing and if you don't want reports of whooped out trails or trees down, let me know.  I hate sounding like a priss or pre-maddona on here to some.  Just want an enjoyable ride for everyone and a safe one

dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »

well i like the way the trails are coming along knocking down the banks is good clearing the trees out 4 a good view i like now some tables 4 rest stops would b cool on a few of the cleared bends.I just started riding again i rode out on both trails systems in 07 8 an 09 an it has changed a lot like the sharp bends got real bad banked i like the kicked back ride an all day ride.

Just ride
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »

Clapper Clapper Yes thank you Kris!!!!!!!!!!!  I realy don't care what others think about me posting problem areas of the ONF trails here Starbuck. It makes Kris's job easier to keep the trails in his area more rideable & to pass along info to others about problems in there sections!!!!!!   If you can remember where those trees are down Dalem352 post it up, it will make it easier for Kris & his Crew to find & remove them!!!!

Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »

Clapper Clapper Yes thank you Kris!!!!!!!!!!!  I realy don't care what others think about me posting problem areas of the ONF trails here Starbuck. It makes Kris's job easier to keep the trails in his area more rideable & to pass along info to others about problems in there sections!!!!!!   If you can remember where those trees are down Dalem352 post it up, it will make it easier for Kris & his Crew to find & remove them!!!!

Thanks for agreeing with me SMP63. One of these I'm sure we run into each other in Ocala

dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

well now that i have an axe i can do more i cant aford a chain saw i ride once a week mostly near the weekend so i will do what i can to help keep the trails clear the one posted of blue sink was a bad block i had to chop my way thour whit a hammer claw.

Just ride
dalem352

don't look back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »

the downed trees i posted was just b 4 blue sink on the west side

Just ride
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »

just curious since yer here..whats the unofficial.... if the ranger catches me..... policy on firearms? i have run up on a bear more than once and at one time considerably closer than i would have wanted to be. thankfully the bear didnt seem to care and just walked off. we were on a marked trail i add.
i have no intention of using it for any purpose except poss self defense is if needed. fleeing would def be my first defense. im sure the bear can outrun me..as well as my wife and 5 yr old..
i have a carry permit and it would be out of sightin all likely hood. i would not ifre it unles i was def in fear for someones life
so what exactly would the ranger say if he was to happen to see me with it..inadvertantly

thanks..i know its off topic but easily answered here.
gary

You have a carry permit, as far as I am aware, you are fine.  Good intentions and the right licensing are the important things here.
-Kris
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com