Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone BS with me on AIM about fourwheelers.  (Read 4608 times)
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2005, 01:50:49 AM »

Yea, im looking to get a new fourwheeler but instead of waiting 20mins to get a responce, maybe someone could IM me and lets talk a little and you can tell me pros and cons..

Screen name is SVTbolt04

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 02:11:08 AM »

11 looks and no one has IMed me..Come on guys, Im not that scary..

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 08:11:09 AM »

dont have AIM sorry
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 08:13:35 AM »

Not that scary, but percentage of people awake at 2a might be an issue!!
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

What do want to know? I refresh this site every few minutes while at work?

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 04:46:25 PM »

Well, I want to get a 450r/yfz  But I dont think Im going to be able to come up with all the money since my ATV is selling alot lower than I was hoping. I have looked at 250r's and I know they can ride out. Wonder what the pro's and cons are on these bikes. I know they were very popular before the 450's came out, still are but the 450 seems to have taken the ring..

My riding will be mostly trail riding, perhaps maybe some motocross.  But I plan on getting into quad scrambles.

823 for life!

bigb

need a ride..........BAD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 08:04:41 PM »

the con of a 250r is it's a 2-stroke, now that's not a huge negative either as the 2-strokes deliver more power per cc and weigh less. the problem lies in the maitence 2-strokes need rebuilds alot more than the 4's. you can get some z-400's pretty cheap now a days and that's a nice quad.

i personally like the 4-strokes. smoother power delivery less maitence and if you get a big bore you can spank the 2- stroke guys.  Cool

accepting donations in the form of a quad.
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 09:16:15 PM »

I guess thats what I will have to realize is that power comes with a price. I know how to tear down an engine and work on them if it need be since I am a marine mechanic in training. So I deal with 2 strokes all the time.

I think I will make the right desision(sp?) in what ever one I make.

823 for life!

Old_School
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 10:29:09 PM »

Well, I want to get a 450r/yfz  But I dont think Im going to be able to come up with all the money since my ATV is selling alot lower than I was hoping. I have looked at 250r's and I know they can ride out. Wonder what the pro's and cons are on these bikes. I know they were very popular before the 450's came out, still are but the 450 seems to have taken the ring..

My riding will be mostly trail riding, perhaps maybe some motocross.  But I plan on getting into quad scrambles.

For MXing 2 strokes are better. Their lighter and make more power(CC for CC). The 450's are a nice quad but it's just what hot right now and nobody makes a good MX 2 stroke anymore. Factory riders ride 4 strokes cause they get paid to ride them not because they want to(well some may). Yes 4 strokes  generally have less maintenance than a 2 stroke but you can make a 2 stroke last a very long time with scheduled maintenance. Hec, I went 6 years on a top end on my 250 before I had to re bore it. Working on 2 strokes are a million times easier to work on than a 4 stroke. Alot of people that have 4 strokes don't work on them and take it in to have them serviced. That's big $$$. I can take my top end off in 20-30(fluids drained, exhaust off, and jug).  You can get a good MX 2 stroke quad in good shape for less than 2k. Add some aftermarket shocks and your set. Nothing beats the feel of a 2 stroke when it hits the powerband.  Cool  -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla

92' LT250R Quadracer

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:20:12 PM »

Those are the posts I love to read. I makes me wish I was racing right now, roost in my eyes and the sweet smell of 2 stroke smoke.

823 for life!

Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »

For MXing 2 strokes are better. Their lighter and make more power(CC for CC). The 450's are a nice quad but it's just what hot right now and nobody makes a good MX 2 stroke anymore. Factory riders ride 4 strokes cause they get paid to ride them not because they want to(well some may). Yes 4 strokes  generally have less maintenance than a 2 stroke but you can make a 2 stroke last a very long time with scheduled maintenance. Hec, I went 6 years on a top end on my 250 before I had to re bore it. Working on 2 strokes are a million times easier to work on than a 4 stroke. Alot of people that have 4 strokes don't work on them and take it in to have them serviced. That's big $$$. I can take my top end off in 20-30(fluids drained, exhaust off, and jug).  You can get a good MX 2 stroke quad in good shape for less than 2k. Add some aftermarket shocks and your set. Nothing beats the feel of a 2 stroke when it hits the powerband.  Cool  -Mark

Preach  it  brother !! Grin Grin

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Old_School
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »

Preach  it  brother !! Grin Grin

We're endangered..... but not extinct.  Grin Gotta stick together my friend.  Cool

-Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla

92' LT250R Quadracer

Exmx54
Supreme Member

MX rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 01:43:17 PM »

Oldschool I hate to differ but it's a matter of opinion. 2003 was the last year that pro's where alowd to have a custom quad (from 2004 on had to be production quad). Now, if you go back and look at the quads along the starting gate, most of them where 250R geometry with either a YZF or a CRF motor custom fitted inside. Only a select few guys where still on a two stroke, like Jeremiah Jones. If I were you, I'd go and get a stock suspension quad, ride some MX, and ride some trails, and see which you like best, then set your quad up from there. Two strokes are slowly dying, sorry to say but it is true and you gotta face the facts.
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 01:54:35 PM »

Oldschool I hate to differ but it's a matter of opinion. 2003 was the last year that pro's where alowd to have a custom quad (from 2004 on had to be production quad). Now, if you go back and look at the quads along the starting gate, most of them where 250R geometry with either a YZF or a CRF motor custom fitted inside. Only a select few guys where still on a two stroke, like Jeremiah Jones. If I were you, I'd go and get a stock suspension quad, ride some MX, and ride some trails, and see which you like best, then set your quad up from there. Two strokes are slowly dying, sorry to say but it is true and you gotta face the facts.
  Two  strokes  will  never  die  as  long  as  theres  guys  like  Old School  and  myself  to  keep  them  alive ! Wink   I  would  take  a  2  over  a  4  anytime !! Grin Grin

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Old_School
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 03:53:03 PM »

Oh I agree they are dying but it's not from lack of performance compared to a 4 stroke. I believe the EPA has some affect on the manufactors decision to make a 2 stroke quad. That and a 4 stroke has a better rep when it come to reliability. And also a part of me thinks that people nowadays are just too damn lazy to wrench on their own quads(Don't get me started on cars too). Yes with 2 strokes there is a bit more of upkeep on it but when you have an engine that fires on every upstroke it's gonna wear faster.   People down the 2 stroke just because it's old. But CC for CC 2 stroke wins everytime. It's just a better/more efficient design. I guess the average atv owner is in the hands of the manufactor when it comes to what types of quads they ride. But like you said it's all preference. To each his own. I was just giving my opinion. -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla

92' LT250R Quadracer

LIV2RIDE
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 07:13:21 PM »

Nothing beats the feel of a 2 stroke when it hits the powerband.  Cool 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:14:58 PM by LIV2RIDE » Logged

Check out  --------------------------> www.quadsforchrist.net
dirty1

Im in it for the RIDE.....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 12:14:32 AM »

especially when they look like this.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000
Old_School
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 10:23:57 AM »

especially when they look like this.......

Wow! Now that's a nicely restored tri. I bet it flies.  -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla

92' LT250R Quadracer

dirty1

Im in it for the RIDE.....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 08:46:46 PM »

well over a hundred in the quarter....

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: