Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: honda rincon 680 or polaris xp850 eps  (Read 10830 times)
Stinky Pete

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »

Looking at these 2 bikes (honda rincon 680 or polaris xp850 eps). I know both are strong but, need more input or experiences people have had with either one. Trying to figure out which one will do better in the mud and not break down. Thanks

2009 Polaris XP 850 EPS

2008 Honda TRX450R (SOLD)

2005 Polaris Phoenix (SOLD)
08Honda400EX

Dirty Foot Adventures is my favorite place to ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »

I love hondas but the 680 is pretty slow for a big bore.  I don;t like the trannys or the brakes on them either.  Also a very heavy bike not to have power steering

Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM
Stinky Pete

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »

Thanks for the info

2009 Polaris XP 850 EPS

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:28:51 AM »

The 850 has more power, but, the 680 consumes 1/3 less fuel and has no CVT belt. But, you can simply carry extra fuel with a Rotopax or Kolpin container and an extra belt. Because, the 680 is direct drive(no belt) you'll feel the gears shifting and may be more susceptible to tranny and other drive train issues(during aggressive mudding vs. mostly trail riding).

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

I feel like the rincon needs just a little lower gearing.  Top speed on a 4x4 means nothing to me so lowering the gears is not a big deal to me but there are somepeople who can't stand loosing speed.  Other than that I like the Rincon overall better than the xp850.  Power and speed the polaris is way ahead but the overall quality of polaris seems to be lacking. I have a honda and polaris, the polaris has cost me probably 300% more to maintain than the honda.  I have always been one to believe that if you take care of your stuff it will take care of you but I haven't felt that way with my polaris.  Now I have put both bikes through more than what it is designed for so some blame has to fall on me but not all.

If you want to sling mud, race around trails/mud, and lift it a lot.  I don't think the Rincon is for you. (compared to 850) If you want to cruise around and just mess around in mud and still make it through 90% of the holes I think the Rincon is more your style.  I firmly believe the Rincon will be less to maintain BUT you still have to take care of it.  You take either bike brand new and run into water up to the tank you will have problems.  Maybe not then or next trip but it will come.  I'm not one those people that look for deep water but I prep my bikes just in case.  The first thing I do is run all the vent lines up to at least the handle bars its VERY affordable to do and VERY important to do.  Next for me was tires and rims (rims only because how much lighter the aluminum rims are).  I'm not a big fan of snorkel kits but I do have one on one bike thats up to you.  Sorry to rant on and on hope this helps just my 2 cents

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Stinky Pete

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »

Thanks all for the good info .. good things to note down

2009 Polaris XP 850 EPS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com