Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding on dirt roads  (Read 5293 times)
pywacket1955

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »

I know it's been awhile, but I was looking for the post
or any information on which counties you can ride on
the dirt roads. Can anyone help me out?

Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES
dirtycruiser

Life is one long weekend!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »

ATV law a dangerous road to travel

Published: Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 6:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 12:00 a.m.
Good intentions don't always translate into good law, and a prime example is Florida's new rules regarding all-terrain vehicles, which could have deadly consequences, particularly for children.

Prior to the new law taking effect on Oct. 1, ATVs were prohibited on all roads across the state. But the Legislature earlier this year, in approving a 97-page Florida Department of Transportation bill, allowed these vehicles designed for off-road to take to the road in certain instances.

Specifically, ATVs can now be driven during daylight hours on unpaved roads with posted speed limits of less than 35 mph by either a licensed driver or "a minor under the supervision of a licensed driver." It also calls for riders to show proof of ownership and, beginning in 2008, requires ATVers who are under 16 to take and pass a safety course.

Individual counties can "opt out" of the law with a simple majority vote by their county commissions. So far, neighboring Alachua, Putnam, Lake and Volusia counties have already rejected the new law.

The bill was sponsored by state Rep. Greg Evans, R-Milton, who represents a largely rural district in the far western portion of the Panhandle. Evers has said the measure is aimed at putting an end to farmers, ranchers and even recreational enthusiasts in areas where there are no developed ATV trails getting ticketed for going onto lightly traveled dirt roads, often out of necessity. Evers has even argued riding ATVs on roads is safer because riders won't have to blaze their own trails through the woods.

We have no doubt Evers was responding to his constituents' wishes. Nonetheless, here in fast-urbanizing Marion County the idea that ATV riders, especially unlicensed minors, should be tooling up and down any road, regardless of whether it is paved or not, regardless of the posted speed limit, is simply reckless. The stipulation that youngsters be "under the supervision of a licensed driver" is too vague to be seriously considered a safety provision.

ATV ridership is a fast-growing recreational activity. The industry claims 15 million Americans hop on four-wheelers nationwide, and 900,000 of the vehicles were sold last year alone. We have no doubt Marion County has more than its proportionate share of them.

Nonetheless, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission also points out that between 2002 and 2004, the latest data available, there were more than 400 ATV deaths per year, and Florida ranks in the top 10 in ATV-related deaths. The state recorded 72 deaths in that period, the safety commission reported.

The Marion County Commission will hear from the public on Dec. 12, and we have no doubt the debate will be spirited. The commission, however, should follow its neighbors' lead and opt out of the law. Besides the obvious danger, to children in particular, local Florida Highway Patrol officials have raised concerns about what exactly defines "supervision," not to mention its lack of manpower to even enforce traffic laws on the county's paved roads. County Public Works Director Larry Thacker told the Star-Banner he opposes ATVs on dirt roads because of the potential damage they will do to the road surface. And besides, Marion County is blessed to be home to the Ocala National Forest, which just opened 140 miles of trails specifically designed for ATV use.

This well-intended law has the unfortunate potential for deadly consequences on Marion County's backroads, many of which are not so lightly traveled as we grow and grow. The wording in the law that allows children to take to our roads & unpaved, though they may be & on motorized vehicles is most troublesome. Already, one-third of the nation's ATV fatalities are children, the government reports.

Unfortunately, opting out of the new ATV law is an all-or-nothing proposition. Evers has indicated he is willing to go back and tweak the law to quell concerns about the vague supervision wording. The real answer is to prohibit unlicensed ATV drivers from any road. Period.

Until that legislative fix occurs, the Marion County Commission should vote to keep ATV riders off our roads for the safety of all, especially our children.

2009 Renegade 800r X
2007 Outlander 800 Max LTD
27" Mudlite XTR's on ITP 14" SS212, SS106 rims
Precision Racing Steering Stabilizer
Dobeck Gen 3 electronics
BRP HD front springs
Warn XT 30 winch
HMF Exhaust pipe
Dalton Pro Clutch
Ricochet Skids
K & N filter
Insurance
dirtycruiser

Life is one long weekend!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »

The 2008 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.2123  Operation of an ATV on certain roadways.--

(1)  The operation of an ATV, as defined in s. 317.0003, upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited, except that an ATV may be operated during the daytime on an unpaved roadway where the posted speed limit is less than 35 miles per hour.

(2)  A county is exempt from this section if the governing body of the county, by majority vote, following a noticed public hearing, votes to exempt the county from this section. Alternatively, a county may, by majority vote after such a hearing, designate certain unpaved roadways where an ATV may be operated during the daytime as long as each such designated roadway has a posted speed limit of less than 35 miles per hour and is appropriately marked to indicate permissible ATV use.

(3)  Any ATV operation that is permitted under subsection (1) or subsection (2) may be undertaken only by a licensed driver or a minor who is under the direct supervision of a licensed driver. The operator must provide proof of ownership under chapter 317 upon the request of a law enforcement officer.

History.--s. 14, ch. 2006-290; s. 17, ch. 2007-196.

link below....
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=316.2123&URL=CH0316/Sec2123.HTM

2009 Renegade 800r X
2007 Outlander 800 Max LTD
27" Mudlite XTR's on ITP 14" SS212, SS106 rims
Precision Racing Steering Stabilizer
Dobeck Gen 3 electronics
BRP HD front springs
Warn XT 30 winch
HMF Exhaust pipe
Dalton Pro Clutch
Ricochet Skids
K & N filter
Insurance
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »

After a couple hours, I can't find many counties in Florida that did not EXEMPT themselves from this law.

The only one that seemed to embrace it I find almost unbelievable...

Miami/Dade

Very strange.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »

Miami Dade County riders have been working hard to get places to ride. Taking this away was not an option!!
pywacket1955

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »

Can you ride on the dirt roads in Polk County?

Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »

Nope... They exempted themselves from the law.
pancho07yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

Does anyone know the link to what counties opt out of the law and who didn't?
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

There is no single link, you just have to do some Googling to find it.

There is NO COUNTY within 250 miles of Central Florida that it is legal in as far as I could find.

Orange - Illegal
Brevard - Illegal
Volusia - Illegal
Putnam - Illegal
Lake - Illegal
Osceola - Illegal
Highlands - Illegal
Sumter - Illegal
Marion - Illegal
St. Johns - Illegal
Duval - Illegal
Palm Beach - Illegal
Hillsborough - Illegal
St. Lucie - Illegal
Collier - Illegal
Alachua - Illegal

In fact, the only county that I could find it would seem was Miami-Dade.
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:40:48 PM »

There is no single link, you just have to do some Googling to find it.

There is NO COUNTY within 250 miles of Central Florida that it is legal in as far as I could find.

Orange - Illegal
Brevard - Illegal
Volusia - Illegal
Putnam - Illegal
Lake - Illegal
Osceola - Illegal
Highlands - Illegal
Sumter - Illegal
Marion - Illegal
St. Johns - Illegal
Duval - Illegal
Palm Beach - Illegal
Hillsborough - Illegal
St. Lucie - Illegal
Collier - Illegal
Alachua - Illegal

In fact, the only county that I could find it would seem was Miami-Dade.

In Madison you can ride on legally dirt roads. Not sure if it fit's your 250 mile range or not, depends where you consider Central Florida to end.

You really aren't missing out on much, riding a 4 wheeler at 25~30mph on a dirt road gets boring real fast.  Shocked  Probably get slammed for saying it, but it seemed a lot more exciting back in the day, when you had to keep an eye over your shoulder looking for the cops  Grin
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »

I thought of Madison County, but was unable to find an official 'yea' or 'nay' so I didn't include it.

I am still working had to get our group of riders to come check out the Plex!!!  Our biggest problem is we will only drive that far if we can camp there, but since we can only camp on Feature weekends it limits us to one weekend per month to come up.  Several of us also race karts and cars competitively so that eats up 2-3 weekends per month and those end up conflicting with the Featrue weekends.

Oh well, it will happen someday.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:02:51 AM by SpeedQuest » Logged
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:27:20 AM »

I thought of Madison County, but was unable to find an official 'yea' or 'nay' so I didn't include it.

I am still working had to get our group of riders to come check out the Plex!!!  Our biggest problem is we will only drive that far if we can camp there, but since we can only camp on Feature weekends it limits us to one weekend per month to come up.  Several of us also race karts and cars competitively so that eats up 2-3 weekends per month and those end up conflicting with the Featrue weekends.

Oh well, it will happen someday.

Just pm me, we often have camping other weekends (this weekend for instance) as we had a race on the main track.

I do recommend the feature weekends though, they are a lot of fun, lot's to do and watch, and of course a lot of riding.

If there are kids in your group, I would definately recommend a feature weekend, we now have so many fun (but competitive) events for the kids to do, they will never be bored.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com