Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Recon wont roll!?!?!?  (Read 5058 times)
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »

Alright, after we went riding last with the Recon, we came home, cleaned the bikes and put them in their home. The Recon was fine then. So, I went out to move it yesterday and the dang thing wont roll. Its not in gear, it will start, but if I put it in gear it just bogs down and dies when I try to go. Anyone have any idea? Rear end froze up maybe?
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »

the brakes are froze up. pull the drums off and inspect the brakes, the problem should be obvious once you start to disassemble the brakes. if anything froze up it would be the drums in the front, i doubt the back disk brake is froze.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »

I hate to say it but if you have put it in gear and it bogs down I think it is something more than brakes sticking.  Jack it up try to turn one tire at a time to narrow it down.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »

Its the rear tires that wont roll. The rear brakes may be froze. Ill have to check it out. The fronts roll fine though. I sure hope that this is all thats wrong. I hate Honda brakes. My 450r has had 2 issues with the rear brake pads rubbing the disc and it got so hot and expanded that it wouldnt even go. The bike bogged and stopped. My rotor was glowing. I bled them out a lil and they have done ok so far.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »

excuse my lack of knowledge on hondas different models and what not, but is this the recon 650 with the one single disc in the back mounted to the front of the diff were the drive shaft means the diff? i just worked on one of those today and the back brake was all seized on there, not bad enough to make it not roll like yours, but bad. run your hand across the rotor and see if its all grooved up, if so you probably wore the pads down to metal, and this will be your problem for the most part.

EDIT: i just googled it real quick, i guess om thinking of a different model, you have the small recon, 250 i think, right? we have one of those in right now with the brakes all locked up and it wont roll. i doubt its anything more serious then brakes. drums can get really nasty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:43:30 PM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
TurboGSXR

GoDebtFree.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »

take off the parking brake?

(2) 2003 Honda Rincon 650, DGL, HMF Pipe, Power Now!, HighLifter Springs, HighLifter 2" lift, Gorilla 6"lift, ITP 30" tire combo, Kimpex front and rear bumper, Kimpex front and rear cargo boxes, Radiator spacers, Heavy duty fender cket eliminator, ATV Guru rear hitch, K & N Air
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:59:32 PM »

yes, the parking brake is off. it doesnt work actually. and yes, i have the recon. the 250. ill have to disassemble the brake system and take a peek at it.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:08:26 PM »

yes, the parking brake is off. it doesnt work actually. and yes, i have the recon. the 250. ill have to disassemble the brake system and take a peek at it.

i wouldnt sweat it, its not a big deal. drums get real seized up. just take the drum off and pick up a can of brake parts cleaner and blast it all over them and let it soke in. then disassemble the rest of it. id would take it completely apart. remove the shoes and then you will be able to slide the actuator, or pinion shaft, or whatever its called out once you remove the lever and what not from it and clean it up really good, that is what is seized more than likely. then put it back together with antiseize all over the shaft.
richardnmissy

Kawi 450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »

Not sure what year you have but my cuz has a 05 and i believe the rear brakes are internal in the rear diff. if so check the lever on the side of the diff and see if it is stuck.
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:14:03 PM »

no, mine are on the opposite side of the axle in their own housing. ive never seen a honda with the brakes in the diff.
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »

i just suffered a huge day and a huge part expense due to frozen brakes. Basically take them apart now I let it sit for a year and it rusted shut. Its your brakes I'm sure of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com