Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Cypress National Preserve  (Read 5850 times)
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

Just returned from a trip to my camp in the Big Cypress this weekend. Boy are things changing down there. With the closure of the Holeylands, there's been a HUGE influx of new riders on ATV's in the preserve. Unfortunately, with that influx we've gotten the bad element that got the Holylands closed in the first place.

The ORV permits are likely sold out as of the time I am posting this message. Next year will be a lottery and the deadline for getting in the lottery was last month. So, if you didn't sign up, you are out of luck.

But, with the huge numbers of ATV and SxS's in the preserve, there's a lot more traffic into remote areas. Already, numerous camp owners are reporting break-in's and vandalism from ATV riders which is sad. Trash is on the rise at "destinations" and the reports of misbehaving on ATV's is through the roof. (This is according to the NPS).

The problem, as usual, is the old 80/20 rule. 20% of the riders make the other 80% of us look bad. In this case, we're seeing a lot of people coming into the preserve without ORV permits and without ORV licenses. Also, sport bikes are being ridden at high speed down the trails (15mph limit) and double riding on bikes designed for one is a common occurrence. Finally, kids under 16 without a driver's license are being caught riding bikes as well.

In response, the NPS is really picking up on enforcement. They are strictly enforcing the park curfew (closed from 10 p.m. till 5 a.m.), speed limits, permit and license requirements as well as the double rider issue. In fact, from Friday afternoon till Sunday morning, we were checked by 3 different groups of 2 rangers. I was really glad to see them as we were 100% legal and I think more enforcement is definitely needed.

According to the NPS, you're likely going to see 24/7 coverage of all the preserve access sites on weekends and holidays. Also, they are going to be hiding in the back country on main trails and strictly enforcing all rules, including the speed limit, permit requirements, and the new designated trail system, etc. Tickets start at $175.00 now and go up from there. If you have multiple violations at once, confiscation of your bike is no longer a mere possibility; it is now a likelyhood.

I, for one, am very happy to see this. More enforcement is what we needed. The lack of enforcement along with the idiots (the 20%) is what got the Holeylands closed. Looks like the NPS is serious about the Big Cypress and hopefully it will survive for ATV use. However, given the fact that the majority of the complaints and problems in the Big Cypress have a common thread of an ATV, there's already very strong talk of banning them in the Big Cypress. One can only hope that we 80% can save the day in spite of the 20% moron contingent.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:41:30 AM by Realityhello » Logged

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:00:39 PM »

I was out there this weekend also at our camp. I know someone that sits on the ORV committee and I heard the same things form them. I was told that two years max before they the atv are not allowed in there. Unfortunately we are our own worst enemy.
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »

lswjth2 - I'm on the committee too and I can tell you it more likley than not that the ATV's will be banned within the next 2-3 years max. Possibly sooner givent he fact that we're in a state of change right now and new rules/regulations are being drafted.

Hey, was that buggy ("Little Tonka") from your camp?

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »

Nope we don't have a "little Tonka" buggy. I had a swamp buggy and 2 atv's. Sold the buggy and bought a Rhino, then I heard about the atv's, so i sold them both and got a second rhino. Our camp # is 609-86, this is "Blanco's" camp. Hey by the way, thank you for working on the OHV management committee. We need people that understand the culture and the access issues that affect us all. I have been going into the Cypress since 1978...
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »

Glad to do what I can to help. Like you though, I am afraid it's already over for ATV's in the Big Cypress.

We ran into a group of about 20-25 people up by Hamilton's pond (north west of Little Deer Airstrip) on Saturday afternoon. None of them had ORV stickers and most were riding two up. Several of them were kids, obviously under 15 riding big machines alone. They made a mess of the place and threw trash everywhere. In addition, they drove through the middle of every camp around. Even stopping at some of the camps that were vacant and walking around them. We rolled up on them and made sure they left.

Like I said, it's the 80/20 rule.  Sad

jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »

Aw man, I was actually hoping to get a permit this year...I've been busy and I guess I missed the deadline Sad

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »

I was out there all last week and I believe law enforcement's presence is  double what it was last year. Rumor has it that some 9 additional rangers have been added , might be true with all the new few faces I've seen.

This season I spent roughly 4 weeks out there since hunting opened up and I have run into rangers on buggy trails that are well off the main trails ( dispersed use still permitted) . I usually encounter them by the truck at night waitin for you to return in order to check you.
They are checking your hunting , drivers ,and ORV licenses as well checking firearms and so on. I'd almost swear we have more rules and regulations than in the city. I believe the party crowd wont last long out there, especially if camps are gettin vandalized.

Also NPS's forestry division have been  working on controlled burns in Turner river unit since Nov.
I've ran into the them in Windmill area as well as Burns .

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »

Yeah, it is nice to see that they are being aggressive with the burning. It's been too long for some areas for sure.

Hopefully they will get things under control down there real soon. Once a few of the idiots get their $10K Rhinos confiscated, things will turn around.  Wink

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

Just returned from a trip to my camp in the Big Cypress this weekend.

Hey Thanks Matt for the phone call.  Smiley Smiley

I got my letter yesterday about the permits.  That place is on complete lock down. Glad to hear NPS was ready for the 20%. Do you think NPS would be interested in a watch group by the 80% of us.?

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »

I know....I know. It was a spur of the moment trip. Just went in, mowed, cleaned up and then came out. Not much of a relaxing time and didn't take any time to hunt or explore. Definitely not the trip to go on.

I will call you though when we go for a fun weekend.  Wink

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »

My last weekend out there I blew my motor, broke my track bar, broke my fan, and pooped a spring off.  Soooo needles to say I won't be out for a while.  Thought I would regester my RZR but if they are done I will have to wait.  Funny story I have no brakes on my buggy and this lady stepped out about 10ft in front of my buggy.  She checked everything we were fine but I told her please step out of the woods a little sooner I am lucky I had no air pressure so when I let off it slows fast. 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
jds450r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »

Tryed to ride out there but no atvs allowed they told me... closest place to my home and cant ride. man florida is getting to be a drag gotta move back to wisconsin. 

JDS
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »

Tryed to ride out there but no atvs allowed they told me... closest place to my home and cant ride. man florida is getting to be a drag gotta move back to wisconsin. 

NO atv's?Huh

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »

Well, someone lied to you. But, if you have a 450r, you have no business riding out there anyway. There's a 15mph speed limit that's strictly enforced. Plus, there are tire size restrictions that the 450r will not meet. Finally, it's usually wet and muddy. Not a place for sport bikes at all.

jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »

Well, someone lied to you. But, if you have a 450r, you have no business riding out there anyway. There's a 15mph speed limit that's strictly enforced. Plus, there are tire size restrictions that the 450r will not meet. Finally, it's usually wet and muddy. Not a place for sport bikes at all.

So can we still get our registration stickers to ride there?  I'd really love to get mine, my bike won't be out of the shop for another week or two though

08 Brute 750
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »

No. They are still messing with the lottery system and the registered/reserved stickers. If you previously had a sticker, you can go get one. Otherwise, you're probably going to lose out. After January 31, 2009, teh left over stickers will be put into circulation and available. However, I'd call first before driving to the Oasis Station for inspection, registration and your ORV license.

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

I won two stickers in the lottery. If you did not enter the lottery you will not get one.

For all of you illegal riders.  If I see you I WILL call the Rangers. You have taken enough places away.

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »

No. They are still messing with the lottery system and the registered/reserved stickers. If you previously had a sticker, you can go get one. Otherwise, you're probably going to lose out. After January 31, 2009, teh left over stickers will be put into circulation and available. However, I'd call first before driving to the Oasis Station for inspection, registration and your ORV license.

Definetly, thank you.  I don't know much else besides what I read onthe website.  I used to ride holey lands all the time, and I watched that place go from paradise to hellhole...

I do have a big bike, but I'm not the typical "mudder" so to speak.  I'd love to ride again just like the old days where you COULD get lost, and you are somewhat alone...I have been riding at some other places that are just too crowded and filled with...well you know.

So Jan 31st hopefully they will ahve something for me :0

08 Brute 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com