Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF is getting insane  (Read 8721 times)
F3RR3T

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »

ive lived here for 19 years and the forestry is taking this sh*t to far.
by buddy and i went riding and he was ticketed 200 dollars for aggressive tires.

28" 589's on a 650 rincon

all these rules and regulations are just to get there pockets fat
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »

Its really a shame. I have NO interest in riding there anymore, its just no fun.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »

I would fight it. There is no mention of this in the "rules".

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0261/ch0261.htm

261.20  Operations of off-highway vehicles on public lands; restrictions; safety courses; required equipment; prohibited acts; penalties.--

(1)  This section applies only to the operation of off-highway vehicles on public lands.

see http above for the details.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
sykolincoln
Supreme Member

save money on tires! ride a trike!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

DAMN THAT sucks! me and a few buddies thought about going back down there... but forget it!

2 years ago a ranger wanted me to pull my paddles off my atc and I asked him where it said in the rules that paddles went allowed... he said they were in there, so out of my back pocket I pulled the rules out and asked him to show me..... he couldnt and I was on my way... yea there just trying to be baddass's and collect for stupid reasons.

3 wheelers are like parapalegic girls....you know you want to ride it!

www.3wheelerworldforums.com

www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/SOUTHGACUSTOMS
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »

Civil disobediance is the answer. Read the book called "The Monkey Wrench Gang". these people fight big government, big land owners, big mining operations. Its a good read. The character is George Hayduke. 

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »

Wow that sucks!! 589s aren't even super aggressive! Good thing he didnt have outlaws or those new highlifer tires...

05 kx 250f
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »

I guess they figured they could never catch people playing in the mud so they will just ticket the ones with mud tires. lol

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »

Did you get the information from the guy who wrote you the ticket atleast, so you can get the correct tires needed? I would have asked for the guidelines book or something!!!      Is there one?              I have not been to Ocala in years!!!!!!

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »

I was told no tread bigger then an inch.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »

had a Marion county deputy tell me yesterday about a BLACK RANGER that is stopping people trying to entice them into a trap like asking political affiliation and such and accused him of running from him till the bro found out he was a LEO off duty then he backed down so all be ware

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »

is he the black power ranger? how is it that I have been riding there at least once a month for the past 2 years and never have had any problems? I have to beleive that if you have problems riding out there you are stupid.
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »

Tell you what nutt, what they are saying is true! I live in the lake delancy area and when you are checked by a ranger they usually start out with an attitude, and with me and alot of others that will only get them back an attitude! I have found that if you question a ranger they usually will feed you a line of bullshit! So maybe stupid is as stupid believes!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:34:34 PM by Backwoods Racin » Logged

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

I have only been riding there for about a year, maybe once a month, sometimes twice a month, but most of the time we get there Friday and leave late Sunday.  We have been 'checked out' by the rangers many times, but never have we recieved any warnings, nor have we recieved any attitude.

Very strange, the same people always get attitudes and others never get attitudes.  Grin
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 05:37:30 PM »

where are these rangers at? I never see them.
where you at in Ft.McCoy? I love that smoked meat loaf at the grocery store there at 316 and 315.
pywacket1955

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »

My son and I were thinking about a trip to Ocala.
He has 27'Mudlites 450 Foreman and I had 26' 589's
0n a 450 Forman. We haven't been there in about
a year or so.  Should I get rid of my 589's before
riding in Ocala?

Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES
dgt714

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »

I had a problem once out there,A ranger gave me and my son a hard time about him riding my big bear,Iasked her to give me the ticket and i`ll see her in court,the only thing she said that this was a warning.When I got back home I called ONC because I new I was right.This is what the ranger Emailed me.This is from the ONF Florida 

Dan, 

There is no size limitations here on the Ocala, but children under 16 must 
have in possession a certificate showing satisfactory completion of an 
approved OHV course. Also, everyone must have a copy of a personal ID and 
proof of ownership, this must have the owners name and vin number. The 
daily passes must be displayed while operating the machine and each 
operator must purchase a pass. Have a safe and enjoyable time on the Ocala. 
Jay 

Jay Perry 
Assistant Program Manager 
Dispersed Recreation, Trails, and Public Use 
Lake George Ranger District 
Ocala National Forest 
17147 East Highway 40 Silver Springs, Fl 34488 
(352) 625-2520 ext. 2515 

This was before the age thing ,Iwas planing to go back but never did.My point get all the info you can.Not all of them know what they are doing or the rules,I think they makem as they go. Evil
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »

I had a problem once out there,A ranger gave me and my son a hard time about him riding my big bear,Iasked her to give me the ticket and i`ll see her in court,the only thing she said that this was a warning.When I got back home I called ONC because I new I was right.This is what the ranger Emailed me.This is from the ONF Florida 

Dan, 

There is no size limitations here on the Ocala, but children under 16 must 
have in possession a certificate showing satisfactory completion of an 
approved OHV course. Also, everyone must have a copy of a personal ID and 
proof of ownership, this must have the owners name and vin number. The 
daily passes must be displayed while operating the machine and each 
operator must purchase a pass. Have a safe and enjoyable time on the Ocala. 
Jay 

Jay Perry 
Assistant Program Manager 
Dispersed Recreation, Trails, and Public Use 
Lake George Ranger District 
Ocala National Forest 
17147 East Highway 40 Silver Springs, Fl 34488 
(352) 625-2520 ext. 2515 

This was before the age thing ,Iwas planing to go back but never did.My point get all the info you can.Not all of them know what they are doing or the rules,I think they makem as they go. Evil

Now I would suggest anyone that even remotely thinks tire size may be an issue for them print this out, and keep it with them in a Ziploc baggie along with copies of their Registration, ID and any other pertinent information.

Those of you that have been previously hassled should be jumping all over this.
ltr450qr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

Just so everyone knows and understands what really is going on in the Ocala Forest. My friends and I have been riding there off and on for 12 years and have witnessed vast changes from whom, to what is enforced in the forest.
Here's the deal; Not everyone who gets hassled by various "enforcement entities" (notice how "law" as intentionally left out) who have the ability to ticket and will, are the same people. You need not have to give an attitude to receive one. You can pull out all of the rules you want and it'll just get you more tickets. The rule for the tires is no rule @ all and is typically written up under the general violation of "destruction of natural resources", in which these people have been trained to use their discretion. This can involve oversize tires, aggressive tread, mud actually on your truck or quad (no matter where it came from), I have never been given a ticket but I have personally witnessed them being handed out. The fine for the destruction is "variable" and based once again upon discretion. This is like "criminal mischeif" laws designed to create a situation where someone can be ticketed or arrested for nothing other than a cop saying so, it's a catch all. The laws recently changed in this state allowing ATV's on public unimproved roads (dirt) with no posted limit or a limit of under 35 unless the local jurisdiction overrides that law with one of their own. The forest is Federal property and does not recognize this law. Once again, they do what they want. The reason for their "generosity" in creating a trail system as it has been described to me is basically to get all the law abiding folks and the ticket book crowd in the same place to generate some revenue (yes, I've had a couple of the rangers whom I've come to know personally over the years tell me this, these are the same people who live there and have for some time and are tired of watching the land be destroyed and actually use some discretion rather than just getting out the ticket book on every occasion).  Problems aren't created by who is riding so much as where. If you ride in places where there is mostly just local riders, you see very little problems vs. Big Scrub and the surrounding areas where you see plenty of abuse of power and bad attitudes to go with it.
I have seen fines range up to $550.00 and the kicker is, they are federal violations. To "fight" requires more than just arming yourself with a list of Federal Statutes, it requires an attorney and a trip to Tallahassee. If you just decide to ignore it, they don't suspend your license, they issue a federal warrant for your arrest and send the US Marshals to your house. They do a better job of tracking down Forest violators than guys who kidnap kids and take them across state lines to have sex with them.
Your best bet is to park off the highway somewhere, carry no forms of ID, that's all I'll say about that.
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »

damn sure a lot of truth to that

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660