Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think we should allow pics of riding without helmets?
change the rule - 63 (53.8%)
Keep the same - 54 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 108

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention all members  (Read 47792 times)
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »

It doesn't matter if it just means the guy in the picture is doing. All that matters is that he is on an atv while he is. I can understand someone not wearing one in camp just getting from camp to camp, but even then some drunken idiot can ruin that calm transition in a second. Those who hate our sport don't talk to us, if they cant get our message, they rely on our image.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »

You can have images of riders wearing armor, someone will still find something to complain about. I say," There our images, if you don't like them, don't look at them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:35:34 PM by ScratchupBangupBoy » Logged
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »

Ofcourse they will find something to complain about, but that doesn't mean we should give them the oppurtunity to complain about helmets.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »

We can go on and on about it. It's up to the site owner. If he allows it, then kewl. If he doesn't want it...don't complain about it. I will never post one without a helmet unless I'm just sitting there.
Bleedsblue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »

I say change it. I think it limits the people that want to share pics from mudding events that don't feel the need to wear helmets. There are hundreds of ATV sites out there and very few go to the extent to block pictures of riders without helmets. I understand why the rule was put in place and I understand the site is about promoting safe riding but allowing the pictures is not going to change the way anyone feels about ATV riders. Fact is when you look at it alot of the people opposing this are sport riders and in that type of riding I can see wearing a helmet all the time as it's a much faster pace and more dangerous.

Bill

2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs
GrizzlyGator

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »

Why not photoshop all the pics so they have no heads.... Wink

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Here is a prime example of a tragedy of a no helmet very slow speed accident. Was right next to the truck not even 20 feet away.

Jennifer Chapman.

Need I say more?

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
MudPuppy

Got Her Did?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

I say that if you are going slow no helmet.
If you have a seatbelt on no helmet at all.
If your balls to the wall HELMET!!!

But also think... Motorcyclists don't wear helmets... I personally don't hear much junk about them riding without helmets.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4

98% of the teenage population will try or does smoke pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.
Bleedsblue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

Here is a prime example of a tragedy of a no helmet very slow speed accident. Was right next to the truck not even 20 feet away.

Jennifer Chapman.

Need I say more?

Yes that is a tragedy. However that instance nor the posting of pictures of riders without helmets is going to change most peoples minds including mine. Blocking the pictures simply limits the sharing of good times we all have, some with helmets and some without.

2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »

To ride with or without a helmet? Totally up to the rider even though it is recommended.
To change the rule here to appease the folks who choose to ride irresponsibly, is as bad as two languages in Floriduh.
There is another site that is for atvs and they allow anything, so post your no helmet fun pics over there I guess.
I voted, keep the rule.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »

16 and under have to wear a helmet by law. Not an easy job for moderator however it comes out.

The law also says, anyone under 16 is to ride nothing larger then a 90cc. LOL

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »

16 and under have to wear a helmet by law. Not an easy job for moderator however it comes out.

Lol yeah thats too extreme. A 16year old can even fit on a 90cc.
ScooterB

Trying Not to Offend Anyone and Failing

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

That is not true

Here is the statue

261.20  Operations of off-highway vehicles on public lands; restrictions; safety courses; required equipment; prohibited acts; penalties.--

(1)  This section applies only to the operation of off-highway vehicles on public lands.

(2)  Any person operating an off-highway vehicle as permitted in this section who has not attained 16 years of age must be supervised by an adult while operating the off-highway vehicle.

(3)  Effective July 1, 2008, while operating an off-highway vehicle, a person who has not attained 16 years of age must have in his or her possession a certificate evidencing the satisfactory completion of an approved off-highway vehicle safety course in this state or another jurisdiction. A nonresident who has not attained 16 years of age and who is in this state temporarily for a period not to exceed 30 days is exempt from this subsection. Nothing contained in this chapter shall prohibit an agency from requiring additional safety-education courses for all operators.

(4)(a)  The department shall approve all off-highway vehicle public safety-education programs required by this chapter as a condition for operating on public lands.

(b)  An off-highway vehicle must be equipped with a spark arrester that is approved by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service, a braking system, and a muffler, all in operating condition.

(c)  On and after July 1, 2008, off-highway vehicles, when operating pursuant to this chapter, shall be equipped with a silencer or other device which limits sound emissions. Exhaust noise must not exceed 96 decibels in the A-weighting scale for vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1986, or 99 decibels in the A-weighting scale for vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1986, when measured from a distance of 20 inches using test procedures established by the Society of Automotive Engineers under Standard J-1287. Off-highway vehicle manufacturers or their agents prior to the sale to the general public in this state of any new off-highway vehicle model manufactured after January 1, 2008, shall provide to the department revolutions-per-minute data needed to conduct the J-1287 test, where applicable.

(d)  An off-highway vehicle that is operated between sunset and sunrise, or when visibility is reduced because of rain, smoke, or smog, must display a lighted headlamp and taillamp unless the use of such lights is prohibited by other laws, such as a prohibition on the use of lights when hunting at night.

(e)  An off-highway vehicle that is used in certain organized and sanctioned competitive events being held on a closed course may be exempted by departmental rule from any equipment requirement in this subsection.

(5)  It is a violation of this section:

(a)  To carry a passenger on an off-highway vehicle, unless the machine is specifically designed by the manufacturer to carry an operator and a single passenger.

(b)  To operate an off-highway vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or any prescription or over-the-counter drug that impairs vision or motor condition.

(c)  For a person who has not attained 16 years of age, to operate an off-highway vehicle without wearing eye protection, over-the-ankle boots, and a safety helmet that is approved by the United States Department of Transportation or Snell Memorial Foundation.

(d)  To operate an off-highway vehicle in a careless or reckless manner that endangers or causes injury or damage to another person or property.

(6)  Any person who violates this section commits a noncriminal infraction and is subject to a fine of not less than $100 and may have his or her privilege to operate an ATV on public lands revoked. However, a person who commits such acts with intent to defraud, or who commits a second or subsequent violation, is subject to a fine of not less than $500 and may have his or her privilege to operate an ATV on public lands revoked.

(7)  Public land managing agencies, through the course of their management activities, are exempt from the provisions of paragraph (5)(a).

History.--s. 4, ch. 2006-290.

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »

It's not a law it's a guide line/recommendation.

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »

To ride with or without a helmet? Totally up to the rider even though it is recommended.
To change the rule here to appease the folks who choose to ride irresponsibly, is as bad as two languages in Floriduh.
There is another site that is for atvs and they allow anything, so post your no helmet fun pics over there I guess.
I voted, keep the rule.

Toast Thumbs Up Bow Clapper

indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

Helmet law section Section 3..Also how many were aware of section 4

316.2074  All-terrain vehicles.--

(1)  It is the intent of the Legislature through the adoption of this section to provide safety protection for minors while operating an all-terrain vehicle in this state.

(2)  As used in this section, the term "all-terrain vehicle" means any motorized off-highway vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator with no passenger. For the purposes of this section, "all-terrain vehicle" also includes any "two-rider ATV" as defined in s. 317.0003.

(3)  No person under 16 years of age shall operate, ride, or be otherwise propelled on an all-terrain vehicle unless the person wears a safety helmet meeting United States Department of Transportation standards and eye protection.

(4)  If a crash results in the death of any person or in the injury of any person which results in treatment of the person by a physician, the operator of each all-terrain vehicle involved in the crash shall give notice of the crash pursuant to s. 316.066.

(5)  Except as provided in this section, an all-terrain vehicle may not be operated upon the public roads, streets, or highways of this state, except as otherwise permitted by the managing state or federal agency.

(6)  An all-terrain vehicle having four wheels may be used by police officers on public beaches designated as public roadways for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws of the state. All-terrain vehicles may also be used by the police to travel on public roadways within 5 miles of beach access only when getting to and from the beach.

(7)  An all-terrain vehicle having four wheels may be used by law enforcement officers on public roads within public lands while in the course and scope of their duties.

(Cool  A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ch. 88-221; s. 5, ch. 95-333; s. 30, ch. 96-350; s. 3, ch. 96-413; s. 162, ch. 99-248; s. 54, ch. 2002-295; s. 37, ch. 2005-164.

Copyright 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:40:58 PM by indianjoe » Logged
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »

We all may not wear them. But not showing pictures mean we do not condone it. 

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »

To the guy who said "Motorcyclists don't wear helmets"

All of my friends who ride bikes always have the basics, riding jacket, thick jeans made for riding, gloves, helmet, and most of all.. riding shoes. They love to see a squid ride by with a new A&F shirt with shorts and sandles. People like them are reasons their insurance rates go up.

I vote for it to stay.

"dress to crash and hope you don't."

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
FoxHondaRider
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »

i think its good to show people they should ride with helmets by not allowing pictures of no helmet riders.  some people might see it and say well if they ride without a helmet maybe i should too.  people dont use common sense all the time.  I actually dont like riding without a helmet.  I feel as if something is missing and it is.  The helmets have saved my life before so i choose to wear one.  Even if i am just going to ride down an empty straight road through the gears i wear it because theres always that chance.  i've read about quite a few deaths on motorized vehicles because they werent wearing helmets

2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »

Just a side discussion:::  Wink

Would one of these be legal at Croom?

* m35-ss-right-photo.jpg (32.06 KB, 421x299 - viewed 189 times.)

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »

As long as it has a chin strap.

Anoriginal

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »

Bones -

Here's something to consider. As the owner of this site, you're held to a very high standard. Your site is a watermark of sorts for the ATV community in Florida. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on the helmet issue (mine and yours included), I think you have a duty to portray the ATV community in a light most favorable to anyone viewing the same. This includes allowing only pictures that show riders with helmets.

The last thing I am sure you'd want to do is to provide fodder for the extremists that would shut us down. These people will use anything they can against us. Not only does it not make sense to give them what they want but, to do so would seem irresponsible.

Just an observation.

~ Matt   Wink
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »

Honestly, I don't see whereas, this site allowing the posting of pics with or w/out helmets is going to pursuade anyone to ride with one or without one...  I will say this though, you will not find a whole heck of alot of muddin pics w/helmets.... For me helmets are not a matter of preference, is matter of what style of ride you do.  If I was hauling butt on a Quad, or say a dirt bike, then yea I would surely wear a helment.  If I am trail riding, doing a little mudding, or seeing how deep I can go on my 4-wheeler, than no I am not wearing a helmet...

Well I guess we shouldn't be watchin any of Gretchen Wilson's Redneck Woman Video's either, and does that also mean we can't post any of her pics.... (man I wish I was her..... Cool)

* sm_ATVr.jpg (3.74 KB, 94x150 - viewed 249 times.)

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »

Bones -

Here's something to consider. As the owner of this site, you're held to a very high standard. Your site is a watermark of sorts for the ATV community in Florida. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on the helmet issue (mine and yours included), I think you have a duty to portray the ATV community in a light most favorable to anyone viewing the same. This includes allowing only pictures that show riders with helmets.

The last thing I am sure you'd want to do is to provide fodder for the extremists that would shut us down. These people will use anything they can against us. Not only does it not make sense to give them what they want but, to do so would seem irresponsible.

Just an observation.

~ Matt   Wink

I couldn't agree more. That is exactly why helmetless pics have not been allowed since the begining.

Please understand that we are not doing this in hopes that more people will wear helmets. It exactly as Anoriginal said, It's to try and keep the tree huggers from using it against us as riders to get more of our land shut down.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:16:50 PM by Da_Mtg_Man » Logged

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

put the damn helmet on, it doesnt hurt you and your gonna sweat in FL with or without a helmet on.

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com