Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator question  (Read 4642 times)
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

When it runs it idles up and down like it has a load being turned on and off.  To get it to smooth out I closed the choke about half way.  Any ideas what causes that? 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »

When it runs it idles up and down like it has a load being turned on and off.  To get it to smooth out I closed the choke about half way.  Any ideas what causes that? 

Clean out the carb.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

thats what I was afraid of.... bad gas

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »

LMAO, I just had to do mine. It was super simple, but I somehow lost the needle!

I bought a rebuild kit in the middle of the storm down in the keys for $12! Tecumseh parts are dirt cheap!

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »

spark plugs old /fowled anit scared of the thunder stom coming are you.lol its a little strom nothing to worry about

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »

I had a problem years ago, cleaned the carb and everything in the bowl with acetone.
Just be careful with plastic, don't let it soak long.
I just used a tooth brush and wiped with a rag.
Ran great after that.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
KAW3604x4

I am a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »

Once it's running fine again, do not turn it off with the switch. Turn off the fuel and let it burn all the fuel out of the bowl to keep it from gumming up again. I do this with all of ours and I am at my Mother's house now cleaning the carb to get it to run again. She has the same generator that was bought at the same time I bought mine and I have never had any issues. I think she has learned to not let just anyone use it anymore.

2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »

Once it's running fine again, do not turn it off with the switch. Turn off the fuel and let it burn all the fuel out of the bowl to keep it from gumming up again. I do this with all of ours and I am at my Mother's house now cleaning the carb to get it to run again. She has the same generator that was bought at the same time I bought mine and I have never had any issues. I think she has learned to not let just anyone use it anymore.

Yep thats the trick  Wink

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

After the problem I had, I've used the product called "Stable".

Use in everything, generators, quads, chain saw, lawn mower, no problems since.

But the statement of draining all the fuel from the carb bowl is great if it's going to sit for over 6 months.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »

spark plugs old /fowled anit scared of the thunder stom coming are you.lol its a little strom nothing to worry about

I have two 250 gallon saltwater tanks with thousands worth of coral and fish. I don't mess around when my generator takes a crap...oh and electric makes my house water go as well. I should probably go buy another one...

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »

I wasn't worried about the storm... my power went out and I have some meat in the frezer I didn't want to go bad.  The last time I shut it off I did shut the gas off and let it die.  So I have some carb work to do and change the plug.  LOL till next time.  Thanks for all the info!

KAW3604x4

I am a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »

Check the gap on the plug first before replacing it and breaking into the carb. It turned out that it was the gap alone that caused my Mother's not to start. Huh Wink

2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

Check the gap on the plug first before replacing it and breaking into the carb. It turned out that it was the gap alone that caused my Mother's not to start. Huh Wink

I saw a guy lose an entire day of riding once while swearing his expensive new NGK plug was perfect.

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »

I will do that thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com