Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question - Is there a size of ATV restriction for kids?  (Read 6823 times)
mommyof2monkeys+princess

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:59:12 AM »

Dh and I thought we saw that under 16 yrs old or something kids could only have 90cc or 110cc or something like that.  Is that true?  If so what is the size?  We are hoping to purchase 4 wheelers for the boys before the Fall.

Thanks
Tammy
asmart82

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »

Court cases have ruled with requests that ATV manufacturers print a recommended age limit for certain size engines. Manufacturers now recommend that ATVs with engines larger than 70cc are for ages 12 and up. A 90cc engine is recommended for 16-year-olds and up. These recommendations are not enforced, which frustrates some people, however, ATV manufacturers continue to make ATVs for the young crowds. Several companies have released an ATV model for riders as young as six-years-old.
Quoted from: http://ezinearticles.com/?Riding-ATVs-the-Right-Way&id=67923

Chapter 316 316.2074 All-terrain vehicles.--
(3) No person under 16 years of age shall operate, ride, or be otherwise propelled on an all-terrain vehicle unless the person wears a safety helmet meeting United States Department of Transportation standards and eye protection.

Quoted from: http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/FloridaLaw.pdf

All riders under 16 must wear a helmet and eye protection at all times.
Quoted from: http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/Florida.html

Hope this helps
94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »

I think a 2 year old should be able to ride a quad or cycle. Teach them young so it becomes natural when they're older.

Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!
randyz

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »

My understanding is the child has to take the ATV course on a size ATV recommended for them.  On the Big Scrub rules board it says no person under 16 can ride anything over 150cc.   My 12 year old rides a 250 Sad
kd4jau

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »

My son is only 10 years old he is 200 pounds 5'5 and has a size 13 mens shoe I had to put him on a grizzly 80 whichis still recomended for 12 and up and to small for him  Sad
YFZ_450man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

Over President's Day Weekend we had 7 ONFA members certified to give the RiderCourse provided by the ATV Safety Institute.  This course is approved by the State of Florida and will meet all requirements of the law going into effect on July 1, 2008.  The course will be available free to anyone interested in being a Trail Ranger.  All children we be charged $75.00 by the ATV Safety Institute.  We have been trying to get them to waive the fee, but they will not. There argument is that they provide all the material and and the liability insurance and as they are a non profit, they can not waive fees.  We will be providing all children who pass the course a picture I.D. that will be accepted on all public lands in the State.  Class size will be limited to 4 per class if under 12 and 6 per class 12 to 15.  The classes will be held at the OHV Center on Forest Road 88 in the Ocala National Forest. Classes will be separate for under 12 and 12 to 15.  Parent MUST attend if under 12.  ATV size is under 70cc if under 12 and up to 90cc if under 16.  All students must have helmets, goggles, long pants, long sleeve shirt and over the calf boots. Classes will continue on the First and Third Saturday's of every month. Those who are interested, please post here and I will pm you with how to sign up.

Schedule for Safety Training Courses:  1st and 3rd Saturday of each month, starting in May.  Classes at 9:00am and 1:00pm.  Enroll in the class by calling the ATV Safety Institute at 800-887-2887 or by going to their website: wwwatvsafety.org and look for rider training.  If you have purchased a new ATV, the course is free.  If you have an older ATV, the course is $75.00 for under 16 and $125.00 for adults. 
ridgerunner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

Over President's Day Weekend we had 7 ONFA members certified to give the RiderCourse provided by the ATV Safety Institute.  This course is approved by the State of Florida and will meet all requirements of the law going into effect on July 1, 2008.  The course will be available free to anyone interested in being a Trail Ranger.  All children we be charged $75.00 by the ATV Safety Institute.  We have been trying to get them to waive the fee, but they will not. There argument is that they provide all the material and and the liability insurance and as they are a non profit, they can not waive fees.  We will be providing all children who pass the course a picture I.D. that will be accepted on all public lands in the State.  Class size will be limited to 4 per class if under 12 and 6 per class 12 to 15.  The classes will be held at the OHV Center on Forest Road 88 in the Ocala National Forest. Classes will be separate for under 12 and 12 to 15.  Parent MUST attend if under 12.  ATV size is under 70cc if under 12 and up to 90cc if under 16.  All students must have helmets, goggles, long pants, long sleeve shirt and over the calf boots. Classes will continue on the First and Third Saturday's of every month. Those who are interested, please post here and I will pm you with how to sign up.

Schedule for Safety Training Courses:  1st and 3rd Saturday of each month, starting in May.  Classes at 9:00am and 1:00pm.  Enroll in the class by calling the ATV Safety Institute at 800-887-2887 or by going to their website: wwwatvsafety.org and look for rider training.  If you have purchased a new ATV, the course is free.  If you have an older ATV, the course is $75.00 for under 16 and $125.00 for adults. 

It should read over the ankle boots or at least that is what the ATV Safety  Web site says
I was told that after my son took the class he on a 50cc because he is 10 he could then ride his 90cc after that so have I been misinformed or have the rules changed since then.
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »

It is over the ankle, this whole time and no one has noticed
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:26:12 PM by GrizzlyBear » Logged

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
mommyof2monkeys+princess

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »

OK Thanks so both my boys would need to be on ATVs under 70cc.  My boys are 7 and 8 yrs old. 

Thanks
mommyof2monkeys+princess

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »

sorry one more question  Wink  Is a 70cc OK?

Tammy
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »

Many 70cc are actually 69cc, and they are OK

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak