Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suzuki LT80 Help  (Read 19397 times)
kdagenais

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

I have a Suzuki LT80 that has a bogging problem. Runs fine except when you first hit the throttle it bogs down allot and then finally takes off. Seems to run fine otherwise but not as fast as the other one we have. Cleaned the carb and found nothing still runs the same. Unbolted the exhaust and still runs the sam. Checked the reeds and appear to be good. Next thing that I can think of is worn rings. Anyone know what the compression is suppose to be for this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

needs to be jetted/tuned. i would start by adjusting the air/fuel screw. it needs to be between 1/2-2 and 1/2 turns out. more out means your pilot jet is to rich, more in means your pilot jet is to lean. turn it until it idles good and has a snappy response. if it is too far out or too far in to achieve this, then change the pilot jet. sounds to me like its a got a rich condition down low so try turning the air fuel screw in a bit and see what happens, you will need to compensate with the idles screw as this will change your idle speed.

if the moter is all stock on stock jetting and it just started running bad than just remember this. if you have no compression or have bad spark than it will always act like the jetting is off no matter how hard you try to tune it... if it is all stock with a clean stock jetted carb then id run a compression check if you think its really truly running that bad. sounds to me like its no big deal tho... also i really doubt it but if its a points/condensers ignition than that right there is your problem, get new points and condensers... its more than likely cdi unless its a late 70s quad lol so i wouldn't worry about that.

... this is a 2 stroke right?
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »

Is the air filter clean? Did you try a new plug?

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
kdagenais

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:02 AM »

It is a 2 Stroke and there is no air fuel mixture screw on this carb. The air filter is clean and spark plug has been changed. I even swaped the carb & reeds from the bike that is runing perfect and no difference. This bike is definetly under powered compared to the other one.  Ran a compression check and it is around 130 to 140. I am not sure what the spec's are for this bike so don't know maybe its time for new rings or not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:00:35 AM by kdagenais » Logged
sykolincoln
Supreme Member

save money on tires! ride a trike!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »

isnt there an exhaust plug or something on these? I know if its in its alot tamer. I plan on picking one up friday for my daughter

3 wheelers are like parapalegic girls....you know you want to ride it!

www.3wheelerworldforums.com

www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/SOUTHGACUSTOMS
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »

Check the compression on the good one and compare.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
kdagenais

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »

Funny you mention that I just did and it is around 170 to 180. Not much of a difference but definetly a not the same.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:16:27 AM by kdagenais » Logged
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

well, if i were you id go ahead and throw some new piston rings on it, they are very easy to install and they are real cheep to. you will have to go through the break in process again after you change them tho. on my 50cc moped it used to run like garbage too the point were it wouldn't run an more becasue the piston rings were originals from 1982 and its ben swamped 100 times. i shanged the rings and it ran like new again.

since the bike was a stock running bike not something you just built or anything, then obviously its not jetting or anything, something has failed, and id say that'd be the piston rings...
offroadjunkee

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »

did you get it?
lugnuts
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »

there are several things to check befor you tear into the engine.  suzuki put restrictors in the exhaust and in the carb on these machines to slow them down.  one was in the exhaust it goes in the pipe where it bolts to the head its a reducer or washer to restrict the exhaust flow thus restricting the engine output power. second is a throttle restrictor its a brass ring in the carb it stops the slide from opening all the way.  i have two LT80 that my kids ride one of them had a problem bogging on accel and it was a bad fuel valve/pump on that machine they use a pump in the fuel valve to control fuel supply and are known to have problems.

steve
727-432-0270
if you cant get it call me i will help you get it running

2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com