Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1999 chevy 2500  (Read 9826 times)
WOODY_450r
Supreme Member

Lifes better when all 4 wheels are under the quad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »

im about to buy a 1999 chevy 2500 4x4 on 35's and it gets 11 mpg and i was wondering what i could do to get a little better gas mileage

WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT !!!!!!!!

JOSH WOODS #411

05 450r
01 chevy 4x4
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »

whens the last time you changed the 02 sensor? if never, then id say get a new 02 sensor and clean the map sensor and maf sensor also. maybe even get a new map sensor. also make sure you dont have any exhaust leeks and of course fresh plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. another simple little bolt on that helps mpg a little bit is a msd blaster coil. i got one for 30$ used on ebay.

now if you wana go all out, if you get a custom tune and a full exhaust system with headers and no cats and all, and a nice intake you will see a very noticable increase, enough to pay for the parts in gas money you save over a long period of time...
MedicMudder
Supreme Member

USMC...OOOO RHAA !!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:35:12 AM »

If that is a 99 2500 it  will be the old body style,it will have a 350 or a 454,with a 4-11 rear end.Say good by gas mileage.If you are lucky it will have a 373 rear end is it 4wd? Unless you are getting the deal of a life time,might wanna think about it with gas at 4$gal Cry

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
 My son is a United States  Marine. SmileySmiley Semper Fidelis.
 Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!
94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »

whens the last time you changed the 02 sensor? if never, then id say get a new 02 sensor and clean the map sensor and maf sensor also. maybe even get a new map sensor. also make sure you dont have any exhaust leeks and of course fresh plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. another simple little bolt on that helps mpg a little bit is a msd blaster coil. i got one for 30$ used on ebay.

now if you wana go all out, if you get a custom tune and a full exhaust system with headers and no cats and all, and a nice intake you will see a very noticable increase, enough to pay for the parts in gas money you save over a long period of time...

For what you'll pay for long tube headers, a professional ecm tune and an exhaust system, you'll never get good enough gas milage to make that up. Mabey in 40 years. If anything, the exhaust and tune will make your truck use more gas. A tune on your stock truck like that will only be dumping in more fuel and mabey mess with timing.

A K&N filter wont do jack unless you get the $250+ kit. Then you'll gain 1-2 gal. per mile. Your best bet to get better milage on a heavy duty truck on 35's is to get smaller tires but that would be lame. You can't go smaller.

Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

For what you'll pay for long tube headers, a professional ecm tune and an exhaust system, you'll never get good enough gas milage to make that up. Mabey in 40 years. If anything, the exhaust and tune will make your truck use more gas. A tune on your stock truck like that will only be dumping in more fuel and mabey mess with timing.

A K&N filter wont do jack unless you get the $250+ kit. Then you'll gain 1-2 gal. per mile. Your best bet to get better milage on a heavy duty truck on 35's is to get smaller tires but that would be lame. You can't go smaller.

not true, a tune with no cats and exhaust with headers and a msd blaster coil and intake will more than likely give you aboiut 3-4mpg better. thjat would take maybe a year to pay off in gas...

a stock intake with a  drop in k&n is fine as long as you hack the box, or if its a nbs chevy the stock intake with a drop in pretty much performs no worse than a full intake.

a 99 could be new or old body style. more than likely new body style tho.

if you want a truck that gets good mpg then get an old half ton chevy 6.5 diesel, they have their problems but they are simple to fix and with a little work you can have a truck that gets killer mpg and performs well..
backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »

i had a fullsize blazer w/ a 350 auto tranny 3.?? gears 4wd not lifted w/ mud tires and an edelbrock intake w/ no muffler and i got like 8-10 mpg [i drive fast] i would suggest lookin into getting a small car/truck my car payment and gas combined cost less than the gas for the blazer and my cars under warrenty just my $.02

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
WOODY_450r
Supreme Member

Lifes better when all 4 wheels are under the quad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »

its the olderbody style with a 350 with 4.11 gears..i was thinking about a chip, throttle body spacer, intake and  thats all i can do as of now......what kinda chip should i get?

WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT !!!!!!!!

JOSH WOODS #411

05 450r
01 chevy 4x4
MedicMudder
Supreme Member

USMC...OOOO RHAA !!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »

I figured as much,might try spike tv,powerblock for lots of web sites,tech help. wwwAutoanything.com The main thing with your truck is low greared rearend. I have a 99 1500 w 5.3 @70 mph,I am turning 1800 rpms,with the 2500 you will be turning ?2900-3200 rpms.= badazzzz MPG Cry.\.But you can pull a house down!!!!!!

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
 My son is a United States  Marine. SmileySmiley Semper Fidelis.
 Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »

dont waist your money on one of those piece of crap plug in tuners. a local dyno shop will custom tune your truck for around the same cost and you will have way more power and MAXIMUM fuel efficiency as long as they tune of of a wide band 02 sensor. its all about the air fuel ratio, the narrow band 02 sensor can only get you close, the wide band that a dyno shop will use will put you right at the goal air fuel ratio meaning that your not waisting a drop of gas like you would if you air fuel ratio is just a little rich do to an inaccurate reading on your crappy narrow band 02 sensor... not to mention, more power means less throtal to get moving= less fuiel consumption. a custom dyno tune is about the best thing you can do for mpg, but you cant get it tuned while its stock and then go throw headers on or something like that becasue it will throw the tune off, you need to decide what you want and get it tuned for it, that way everything is working at its maximum efficiency.
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »

My 5.7 2500 4wd Suburban is getting 19 on the highway right now with everything working good. I am going to reprogram some things in my chip tomorrow and I expect to gain at least 4 more MPG.

I was getting 12 with a really dirty aircleaner, frozen egr and bad o2 sensor.
Just correcting those things got me 7 MPG.

dont waist your money on one of those piece of crap plug in tuners.

I agree with this. It is unfortunate his ECU can not be emulated so you can not see/feel the changes in real time. I can't believe you aren't programming that truck of yours. It is pretty damn easy and you can get everything you need for under $100. I have already read a bunch of posts on how to tune for a supercharger on thirdgen.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »

are you referring to me when you say i can tune it for under 100$ becasue if so id like to see were you are finding this stuff? on moates.net the real time emulator alone is around 2-300$ i think an d then i need a cable to datalog. although i may make my own cable...
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »

Give it up Jack this is another one of them kids that are always right Roll Eyes

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:07 AM »

lmao, dude, what is wrong with you. im asking a serious question, if he found it somewhere for 100$ id like to know? whats so know it all about that?... your making yourself look like your just out to get me now...

idk how else to put it really, but i really seriously would like to know how i can do it for under 100$, and im not sure how i could say that any less "know it all"... no sarcasm intended... really.

once you all stop thinking im out to look like a know it all and that im really just trying to help, or in this case i just asked another member for some help because he obviously knows something i dont if he can get the stuff for around 100$ this forum will go alot smoother...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:35:54 AM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »

are you referring to me when you say i can tune it for under 100$ becasue if so id like to see were you are finding this stuff? on moates.net the real time emulator alone is around 2-300$ i think an d then i need a cable to datalog. although i may make my own cable...

I just built this two transistor cable to datalog for $6. http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=24

Ebay is full of capable eprom programmers for $30. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310054111815&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=310053097642&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Eprom eraser for $20: http://cgi.ebay.com/UV-tube-Eprom-Chip-Eraser-Ultraviolet-Light-Timer-Erase_W0QQitemZ220239222166QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4661QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course emulating is nice, but hardly necessary so the free version of tunerpro is fine: http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/

Good intro at: http://www.thirdgen.org/promintro

Jeez, talk about a threadjacking. I will make a post detailing all this with some pictures in it's own thread eventually....

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

I just built this two transistor cable to datalog for $6. http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=24

Ebay is full of capable eprom programmers for $30. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310054111815&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=310053097642&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Eprom eraser for $20: http://cgi.ebay.com/UV-tube-Eprom-Chip-Eraser-Ultraviolet-Light-Timer-Erase_W0QQitemZ220239222166QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4661QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course emulating is nice, but hardly necessary so the free version of tunerpro is fine: http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/

Good intro at: http://www.thirdgen.org/promintro

Jeez, talk about a threadjacking. I will make a post detailing all this with some pictures in it's own thread eventually....

i have the 95 ecm which is the 7427(?maybe?) which is different than the older style one in the pre 94 Chevy trucks... i was under the influence that i cant do the whole ship burning thing, i had to have a real time emulator. i could be wrong tho...
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

i have the 95 ecm which is the 7427(?maybe?) which is different than the older style one in the pre 94 Chevy trucks... i was under the influence that i cant do the whole ship burning thing, i had to have a real time emulator. i could be wrong tho...

I thought you had a 91, I must be blind.

ODB2 like is in yours has many great features, but emulating isn't an option for those ECU's I think. You can erase and flash the eprom through the port on the dash though. That is sweet, but a little more scary if it screws up for some reason during the download and won't work anymore...

Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »

no, the thing is, it is an obd1 but 95 was the first year for this particular ecm which was the basis for 0bd2... or something like that...

it has all the greatness(simplicity) of obd1 lol, no maf, no 02s behind the cat, ect
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:26:20 PM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com