Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Z400 lubrication system... oil problem  (Read 5564 times)
z400hick85

Stupid is as stupid does.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:38:40 PM »

I have an 04 z400 and for some odd reason, it will not keep all of the oil in the crank case. For instance, I parked it in my garage and i came back to it 2 weeks later and the drain plug had backed up and drained all of the oil in the oil tank. So, on the next ride, I put 1 quart of oil in the tank and started it up to get the oil flowing and then unscrewed the dipstick and oil/water started pouring out of the tank. So, I then drained all of the water/oil out of the tank and crankcase.. put 3 quarts of oil in and started it back up and it was fine. I went riding that day and half way through the ride, check the dipstick and it started pouring out of the tank again. Any advice would be grateful, Thanks.
TOY_DOCTOR
Supreme Member

RHINO 660, YFZ450, TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:42:15 PM »

I am confused, are you saying you have water in the oil tank??? or are you just having problems with oil coming out of the tank when you check it?Huh, Give me a call maybe I can help...352-523-3621   KEN  If no answer leave a message and I will call you back.

TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's
z400hick85

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:53:57 PM »

When I first drained it there was water in the tank but after I had changed it, it was straight oil.
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 06:48:01 PM »

Did you recently do the clutch on this bike? The left side cover gasket and o-ring must be properly installed. It is possible the o-ring or gasket have failed.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
z400hick85

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 06:34:52 AM »

No, I havn't done anything to it other than change the oil a few times.
LTZ400ApK

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:29:11 PM »

water in the oil?kinda sounds like a blowed head gasket,dont know Toy_doctor knows his Z's, and the quad only holds 2000ML of oil which is 2 1/4 quarts  Grin
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:08:16 AM »

3 qt of oil is too much . when you pull the dipstick it will come flooding out . Try 2 .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 11:09:47 AM by J.D. » Logged

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com