Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: becoming a mechanic.  (Read 11686 times)
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

with a A&P certification, will that pretty much qualify you for any mechanical job out there?
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »

experience(speed + quality) + www.asecert.org = $$$

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Turboderf
Supreme Member

**HONDA** WARRANTY **SUCKS**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »

Turning wrenches for a living  sucks ,it used to be good 30 years ago dont do it go into computers or something else
X2 i worked for toyota and lexus for 20 years and walked out 6 years ago went in business for myself on 9/11/01 its ok but the cars are getting harder to fix and you make less money every year publix is a good compry to work for but it sucks working for a car dealer  you work alot of hours the guys that are making good money are the old timer or the one that bing feed by the service writers but good luck with what ever you pick to do
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

although i agree you should do what you enjoy, turning wrenches is very hard on the body,wallet and mind.
the amount of tools required is overwhelming. your body takes a beating and so does your mind. i am also a cmat-l1 tech and its getting tougher everyday. the pay sucks for the amount of work you have to do.   i wouldnt recommend it for anyone.

gery

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »

mixed feelings here. hmmm. i love working on stuff. i dont care about having billions of dollars but i do want to be able to live comfortably and enjoy the toys ive got. its a fine line between being able to buy the toys and have time to play. my dad was a manager for Publix and was making 120k a year but working 60-80 hours a week and we never got to do anything. yea, we all had sweet bikes and he got a new car every 6 months but he wasnt happy and neither were we. now he works full time (40hrs) for them and we have the time but not as much $ and all. i definitely want to be a mechanic or engineer (im not good at math so that takes alot of engineering out). i just dont know what kind of whatever. ive even thought about a Air Force mechanic on a jet or something. guess i just need to marry a rich girl. lol.
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »

My cousin is a mechanic for the air force and he see's the world and loves his job AND makes good money. But your never home. I would LOVE to do that. But racing is my passion and I cant give that up.

I forgot about the toll it takes on your body. Sheesh, that use to suck. I must of done 40 evaporators last summer and that will tear your back UP!

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »

Turning wrenches for a living  sucks ,it used to be good 30 years ago dont do it go into computers or something else

well, if everyone thought that way there would be a severe need for mechanics. i like working on stuff and all too. i love atv/mcs though so i dont know if i want a career doing that. i may get tire of dealing with them.

Unfortunately that is the case, we are in need of techs and can't get enough good one to stick around. The car business is a roller coaster ride, the great phrase of feast or phamon is very common. A good friend once told me don't make your hobby your career. You will eventually hate your hobby. Turning wrenches is not bad as long as you work for a good company like UPS or Publix or something similar
Good luck with what you choose
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

well, if everyone thought that way there would be a severe need for mechanics. i like working on stuff and all too. i love atv/mcs though so i dont know if i want a career doing that. i may get tire of dealing with them.

Unfortunately that is the case, we are in need of techs and can't get enough good one to stick around. The car business is a roller coaster ride, the great phrase of feast or phamon is very common. A good friend once told me don't make your hobby your career. You will eventually hate your hobby. Turning wrenches is not bad as long as you work for a good company like UPS or Publix or something similar
Good luck with what you choose

thats why i dont want to do the atv/mc mechanics. my passion is Gator football and riding. im not too into big trucks or cars but i do like working on them. its not a hobby though.
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »

Fox,

My advice to you, in general, no matter what career you choose is:
1) go to college or get some form of higher education in order to distinguish yourself from the rest.
2) get as many certifications as you can.  It maybe just a simple piece of paper, but it will make yourself more valuable and marketable.
3) don't sell yourself short.  Meaning that if you have a talent or special skill you should exploit it to the fullest.  I have seen several people who were very talented and bright people who settled into a job where they didn't fully reach their potential.
4) Be selfish.  In business or any career, you have to always look out for yourself.  You manager or supervisor probably isn't always going to be looking out for your best interest.  Rather, he is always going to be looking out for his best interest and always trying to make himself look good.  For example, I had been working my butt off one time on this project and had one of my managers take all the credit for my hard work.  But when things go wrong, they will be the first ones to put the blame on you. 
5) Don't be complacent or satisfied with where you are in the company.  Always look for ways to improve yourself and move up in which ever company you work for.  As soon as you get complacent, you will be stuck there and won't be able to move up.  Wherever you decide to work, make sure there are opportunities to move up in the company both financially and vertically up the "corporate ladder".  The last thing you want is to be stuck in a dead end job.  It gives you no incentive to work harder.
6) Work for a company that you will be happy with.  Having a well paid salary is nice, but eventually you will be miserable and it will affect your personal life.  The most important thing to a happy career is liking the people you work with and working with people who will provide on the job training.  Working with people who are willing to teach you new things will keep things interesting and less frustrating. 
7) Remember this saying "The toes you step on today could be connected to the a$$ you'll have to kiss tomorrow".  Never treat anyone that works below you as an inferior person and don't burn bridges in your career because you never know when you may have to cross them again.  Making people who work under you feel important and appreciated will work wonders for your career.  They will work harder for you, which in turn will make you look better. 

These are just some things that I have learned in my career and can be applied to any job situation.  In the end, no one will be able to give you a definite yes or no answer on which career path you should go down.  I know you are facing a very intimidating and big choice right now but ultimately you know what you are capable of doing.  Take as much advice from the old folks as you can to make the best informed decision.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »

Not to start another topic here but I don't think college is for everyone.  Some of the most successful people I know never had a lick of college.  And I know people with 2 degree's looking for work (part laziness is the reason they are still looking)  Some people think just because they go to college they are "owed" jobs.  In my business, I would take pasion, character, motivation, "common sense", and adaptability over ANY Harvard degree (LOL not like they have a body shop degree)  I just hate to see some people go to college and come away with a degree and think they can just walk right into a job.  That or they think certain jobs are beneath them.  Anyway as I said before good luck!!

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »

for me, if im not learning something i love than im going to fail bigtime, college would be a big waist of money, theres no way id pass. uti however, no doubt i can pass it because i already know alot about cars and trucks and would love to learn as much as i can, not just learn it because i have to...
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

for me, if im not learning something i love than im going to fail bigtime, college would be a big waist of money, theres no way id pass. uti however, no doubt i can pass it because i already know alot about cars and trucks and would love to learn as much as i can, not just learn it because i have to...

me too. i dont think id do very well in college. i do well working on stuff. i cant write a paper for my life but i can rebuild a engine pretty good. and ive never worked on anything until the last 2 years. i look at some of the stuff that my friends do in college and i definitely couldnt do it. i was not in a public school either so i have never had to sit and listed to someone teach me. i am not good at taking notes or anyhting. one of my friends was going to BCC here and he couldnt pass at all then he went to UTI and did great and is now going to the Arizona campus to do a special porsche program. my dad and mom ever went to college either. unless you have to have it to do what you want to do, i dont think its necessary in some cases. i dont think knowing how to write a book is gonna help me rebuild a publix truck. lol.

Sleazy_Rider78, that was great advice. thanks.
Turboderf
Supreme Member

**HONDA** WARRANTY **SUCKS**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

If you like it then go for it you will alway have job waiting somewhere people alway need something fixed theres alot of college folks that cant change a tire they just pay someone to do it
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »

If you like it then go for it you will alway have job waiting somewhere people alway need something fixed theres alot of college folks that cant change a tire they just pay someone to do it

thats my uncle. cant change a air filter in his house. he is a lawyer for the state. i figure i will always have a job like you say. it would be sweet if i did get a job at Publix or UPS because of benefits too. i already have started accumulating stock at Publix. my job there will help me to transfer to the fleet crew too. UTI has a program that teaches auto, diesel, and heavy equipment core stuff. then i can do a few electives and be set. ill be certified in all 3.  Grin
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »

Not to start another topic here but I don't think college is for everyone.  Some of the most successful people I know never had a lick of college.  And I know people with 2 degree's looking for work (part laziness is the reason they are still looking)  Some people think just because they go to college they are "owed" jobs.  In my business, I would take pasion, character, motivation, "common sense", and adaptability over ANY Harvard degree (LOL not like they have a body shop degree)  I just hate to see some people go to college and come away with a degree and think they can just walk right into a job.  That or they think certain jobs are beneath them.  Anyway as I said before good luck!!

I have a body shop degree from Atlantic. Not really worth a damn without I-car and some ASE's these days, but before those existed it actually meant something.

I agree with your post. Unemployable guys with degrees are a dime a dozen and usually not qualified to sweep the floor.

A job you don't love is just that, a job.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

yea I have been going to tampa for iCar trying to get my shop back in gold status LOL

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
backinsaddle

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

my 2 cents:

like some have said, do what you love and are passionate about, and stick to it...the money will come

as for college/degrees/certification...rubbish.  I have an ivy league degree and make over 6 figures a year.  While college has given me certain skills that can only be learned from a book, i walk all over overeducated people all the time...they get lots of degrees and lots of certification letters after their title, but mostly because they don't have the capability to get ahead through hard work and perseverance, so they get another degree or certification.  I haven't been back for any kind of schooling since college, while many of my colleagues go regularly, and I always find my way to the top of the ladder whatever company I'm working for.  If I need to know how to do something, I do the research and figure it out myself...

I would any day take someone that was hard working, interested in improving themselves and the company, and made it to the position they are in because they worked for it than someone that went to college and has the degree.  It's more than what you know, it's how well you can use what you know, and if you don't know, can find out the answer on your own. 

this country is running out of skilled labor.  no one want to learn the trades, but I see big $'s in the trades, maybe not working for someone else, but absolutely working for yourself.  someday i will get out of my office job and start a company doing something mechanical/trade related.  there are very few people left anymore that can do quality work, and i for one and willing to pay a premium for quality service...I'm sick of having to redo what someone did for me incorrectly the first time.

As an aside, If you're only concerned about salary, I've read several business reports over the years that compared the number of college educated millionares to those that never went to college.  There are more milionares that did not go to college than did.  My suspicion is that the entrepreneur has a risk taking mentality that doesn't go well with college...they are the doer's of the world, and classroom settings don't fit this personality type.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »

backinsaddle, that would be describing me too. i can figure almost anything out if i think about it. i cant stand half azzed work either. if i do it, i do it right. weather for me or someone else.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com