Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections of a First Time QS Racer!  (Read 11185 times)
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

After 30yrs of wanting to compete in a race I finally did it this past Saturday at the Myakka QS.  I'm 35, father of two and ride every now and then as I alway seem to let work or something else stand in my way of riding...and of course getting to that first race.  So I showed up Saturday AM ready to go. Got my tent set up...gear ready...walked over to the registration tent and registered then headed back to my truck and got ready for the practice session.  I must admit that I thought this quad scramble racing was going to be like my trips to the OCN or Brooksville.  Cruising on nice trails with the wind in my face and an occassional sip of water from my camelback.  Well...(long pause)...after 10 minutes into the PRACTICE lap I realized that this was a whole new ball game.  My goal was to compete...in C +30 class...beat somebody...I'll blame that on my competivie nature.  Needless to say that it became obvious after the practice lap that I would be lucky to finish the race period! So realizing this, I spent the next five hours before the race hydrating, eating and sleeping.  At 1pm, I lined up on the starting line and began my best immitation of the pre-race movements made by James Stewart (seems to work for him)...well, like I told Dan (Backinthesaddle...it was great to meet you in person Dan) who was next to me on the line...just go ahead.  So the horn blew...everyone took off and only because of the pile up when that first left was made I was close to the riders in front of me.  But as soon as they untangled they were gone and that was the last time I saw any riders from my division except for those that lapped me! This included the women's riders and utes who started behind me! Never, I must repeat NEVER, have I EVER competed in anything that was so grueling.  I've played sports my entire life, competed in Triathlons and a few years ago competed in a 13hr 60 mile Adventure Race and never wanted to quit anything so badly then I wanted to quit that race Saturday (and I've never quit a competivitive event).  Yes, I'm no longer in the physical shape I was in a few years ago but...BUT I didn't quit! Even after slamming into a tree and having my head and thigh slam into the bars of my bike I did'nt quit (thanks to the track crew for helping me pull my bike off the tree and get back on as I was somewhat dazed from the crash).  By the end of the race I had gone through my entire camelback, had cramped hands that could barely hold on, couldn't stand up on my bike nor lean side to side for turns as my body had shutdown completely! I thought the track crew was going to tell me to quit...but I guess there is no mercy rule in QS racing! Maybe they felt sorry for me...if there was a place behind last place...that is where I finished! But I finished by God! And I can't say how good I feel about it. Thanks to the guys on the site that gave me some advice ahead of time (like just try to finish). Everyone out there was great! I'll be back in a few months as I need to get into better shape and let the huge bruise on my thigh heal!!!!
Pat #471...they guy you saw twice during the race...at the start and when you lapped me!

Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!
backinsaddle

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »

welcome to my world, 40 year old out of shape  :-)

sounds about the same as my first race, but each race gets a bit easier.  After about 10 minutes into the first race I kept asking myself why am I out here?  I had the same no quit attitude, and hear I am 1/2 dozen races later having a blast.

Good to meet you Pat, hope to see you at the next one.  I don't remember if you had a steering stabilizer on your bike, but that definitely helps from getting beat up as bad

Mark
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »

Hey Mark! I apologize...I thought when you told me your name you said Dan!!! I guess loud motors, a helmet and pre-race gitters were to blame.  No, I don't think I have a steering stabilizer.  I guess that would have been good because I felt like I was in a washing machine going over those tree roots.  I also noticed that my A-arms are wider than just about everyone else.  I could barely fit between a lot of those trees...I couldn't fit between two and thank goodness someone tore down the tape so I could go around them! I had to creep through the technical sections because of the width of my front.
Pat

backinsaddle

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »

do you have wider arms?  there were a LOT of tight spots between trees.  the first race i ran i couldn't fit between 2 trees, tires jammed, and i went over the bars...some of those have millimeters to spare I think...that's QS racing  :-)

and no worries about the name...
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »

Yep...my front is 50" wide...
Pat

jestr73

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »

Pat, I myself am a 34 year father of two who just started riding quads in 07 and I know how you feel. The first race this season was a real eye opener. You going into with an idea of what to expect and boy does the outlook change once that horn blows. Anyway, I hope to see you at the next one.

Mike McCutcheon #44C (+30C class)
backinsaddle

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »

Pat, I myself am a 34 year father of two who just started riding quads in 07 and I know how you feel. The first race this season was a real eye opener. You going into with an idea of what to expect and boy does the outlook change once that horn blows. Anyway, I hope to see you at the next one.

Mike McCutcheon #44C (+30C class)

Mike, I remember swapping places with you a few times...#40C 30+
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

Mark,
My 50" front...would you say is too wide for this type of racing?
Pat

backinsaddle

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »

I think so...hopefully some of the other riders will chime in...i believe stock is around 47"??
jestr73

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »

Pat, any obsticle on the course can be no less than 50". If your running at 50" you might want to narrow up a little. Also, I believe it was 40C my nephew was snapping some photos for. If it was just stay in touch with me and I will get those to you.

Mark, I think we switch a few times. Look forward to doing it again next time.
jestr73

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »

Sorry, Mark the photos were for you.
backinsaddle

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »

Pat, any obsticle on the course can be no less than 50". If your running at 50" you might want to narrow up a little. Also, I believe it was 40C my nephew was snapping some photos for. If it was just stay in touch with me and I will get those to you.

Mark, I think we switch a few times. Look forward to doing it again next time.

yep, that was me he was taking photos for.  can't wait to see them, and can't wait till next race...
jestr73

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »

I will have them put on CD and get them to you. He was there as a favor for me and my buddies to get some shots and ended up taking over 300 photos. He should be going to each race from now on.
backinsaddle

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

I will have them put on CD and get them to you. He was there as a favor for me and my buddies to get some shots and ended up taking over 300 photos. He should be going to each race from now on.

great...let me know what I owe him for them. 

did you end up in that pile-up at the starting line?  Pat and I missed it...we were bs-ing, didn't hear the warning or the horn, next thing i know everyone was leaving without us.  by the time we got there everyone was piled up and we went around
jestr73

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »

I'm not sure what you would owe him. If he didn't tell you I will find out. I guess it would depend on the number of acceptible photos he has.

No, suprisingly I was third on the start and everything happened behind me. I usually set back and try to stay out of the way, but said screw it and went for it. Ended up 10th which is my best finish so far.

sykolincoln
Supreme Member

save money on tires! ride a trike!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »

awesome man!! Ive waited many years to get back into racing (raced motox when I was young) and got into flat tracking, and love every minute of it! I expected to never win, but I never gave up! and had a blast doing it! Keep going at it! you can only get better! good luck! Wink

3 wheelers are like parapalegic girls....you know you want to ride it!

www.3wheelerworldforums.com

www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/SOUTHGACUSTOMS
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »

That's cool you had fun. I remember my fisrt one it was at Hardrock cycle park in 2001. I was on a stock Blaster. It was brutal, but like you I didn't give up and I finished 14 out of 26 in the 2 stroke B class. Four races later i relized I needed a different quad. Everyone was on a 250R back then so that is what I bought. In 2004 I got the TRX450R. See you at the next one or the GNCC in March!

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

HA HA I aint seen nothing saying he's not gonna try it again! HES NOW HOOKED LIKE THE REST OF US! Congrats on your finish now you can concentrate on competing, that's th easy part! NEVER GIVE up is the key to a scramble. I'm 40 and only been racing for two races before this year, yeah the first one about killed me but I'm hooked now, 85C in the 400 class
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »

Sounds like my first race. I started out in the 0-400C class last season.
I made the first lap and had to pull over to catch my breath and wait for the feeling of wanting to vomit to go away.  I made it through 4 laps though with 3 seconds before timing out.  I was so sore the next day I could barely get out of bed. 

I was hooked though and couldn't wait for the next race to do it all over again.  What's cool is that you kind of know what to expect now, but every course will pose a challenge that will test you differently from the last.

Hope you can make it to more events in the future.  If you really want a challenge do the first round of the GNCC that is in Melbourne this year.  That's a whole other level of competition even for the AM amature race.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »

That was a great story!
Ken Z said everything I wanted to say!
Feed the addiction and hook up with one of the local clubs and you will have a place to ride more than likely.
Help put an event on, and you ride for months!

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
FTRracer444x

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »

I also feel your pain,I bought my first quad 3 1/2 years ago & decided to start racing.My first race was 3 years ago & I started in the same class as you but I was 42.The first race wasn't that bad because I broke a tie rod on the first lap so the pain wasn't that bad but I got the bug and I needed more.The second race I felt just like you after the race I was totally drained,didn't even have the energy to get off the bike.Now at almost 46 I'm in the super senior class & the pain I feel the next few days after is well worth the fun I get out of it.It's very addicting.My main goal now is to finish every race,keep my lap times consistent,give every race 100 percent & most important make it to work on monday.Welcome to the world of XC racing.I hate to say it but the disease will only get worse.Glad to have you aboard.
predatorracer8

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »

all i gots to say is welcome to the best addiction you'll ever have....congrats.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »

Welcome to the club. I promise you the next race wont be as bad. You now know what to expect and how to prepare.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »

Thanks for all the replies! Yep, I am addicted! Still can't walk too well as I'm still sore but addicted nonetheless! Can't wait for the next one.  The great part is I actually have something to motivate me now to keep in shape as I grow old and grey!
Pat

backinsaddle

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »

The great part is I actually have something to motivate me now to keep in shape as I grow old and grey!
Pat

Grin Grin
bandida

a/k/a Mrs. Blackflag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 01:50:13 AM »

Hey, Pat...thanks for your "reflections".   The way you described it, is just how I'm imagining it.  I'm a 33 year old woman, out of shape, and overweight.   I'm thinking of going to the Sarasota race coming up on 3/29, and I am definitely not ready for this.  I should get in some sort of shape and wait for the next race.  However, since I learned of this racing so late in my life, I don't want to miss anymore  opportunities.  I keep saying to myself that I'm freak'n crazy to do this.  I'm not even a mom yet!  I should be thinking of having kids, not racing!!  Hey, at least you have kids...I may lose my ovaries out there!! 

Anyway, I went to practice yesterday, for an hour, and today I can hardly walk....Oh yeah...I am SOOOOOOO not ready for this.   I had this attitude of "I'm in it to win it"....after yesterday's practice, I'm saying "I'm in it to finish it!!"   Cheesy

It should be fun...I'll have to be rolled around in a wheelchair for two weeks after the race, but it should be fun.   Undecided
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:53:58 AM by bandida » Logged

2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4
2006 YFZ 450
2006 Yamaha Banshee
2005 Yamaha Raptor 350
1985 Kawasaki ATC 160
1983 Honda ATC 200
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »

haha awesome! Best of luck! I'm hoping this is going to be my best race yet, buttt i havent been able to ride for a couple months so who knows!

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »

If you use any excuse not to come and play, it will be your loss. No one said you HAD to go as fast as you can. You can go as fast as you want. Let it take you into a conditioning mindset. I know too many, "bigger than they'd like to be" people that have much endurance and capabilities.
Don't make any excuses. Just come and enjoy riding on private property with not having to look over your shoulder for "The Man." It's not a beauty contest. Have you seen my hair?
 Smiley

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
bandida

a/k/a Mrs. Blackflag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »

If you use any excuse not to come and play, it will be your loss. No one said you HAD to go as fast as you can. You can go as fast as you want. Let it take you into a conditioning mindset. I know too many, "bigger than they'd like to be" people that have much endurance and capabilities.
Don't make any excuses. Just come and enjoy riding on private property with not having to look over your shoulder for "The Man." It's not a beauty contest. Have you seen my hair?
 Smiley

No excuses made here....just sharing my thoughts, but mostly fears.  Undecided  I'm still going gosh darn it, even with my medieval Banshee that many or some shun upon.  No. No.   Beauty contest? Hotty    Not sure what you meant by that comment, but if I cared about what people thought of me, I would be sitting at home knitting, or getting my nails done, not riding a sports quad.   Jester   If your comment was because of my overweight comment,  I said it because I'm out of shape, and don't have much endurance, they go hand in hand....not because of how I look.   Wink

That's me...I was mudding on my Banshee.   Yeah...uh?  That's when they called me crazy.   Looney

* bansheedog.jpg (51.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 144 times.)

2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4
2006 YFZ 450
2006 Yamaha Banshee
2005 Yamaha Raptor 350
1985 Kawasaki ATC 160
1983 Honda ATC 200
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »