Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn: All Holey Lands Riders  (Read 50081 times)
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »

I'd just like to put this out there...just so everyone is aware.

It seems like one of the last "great" legal riding spots we have right now around the tri county area. With that said, PLEASE respect it.

When I was out there not only did I see people riding around doing wheelies on the pavement, but I also saw countless speeders doing doughnuts and such around THE TRUCKS!!! If no one knows, the speed limit is 30, clearly posted.  We had several guys try to park about 1ft away from our truck/trailer...pretty rude if you ask me.  There was plenty of parking.

Please just respect this place so it doesn't get shut down to ATV's.  I've heard talk of it, then confirmed that it was NOT going to be shut down the 1st by FWC last time I was out there.  But I was also told that if this behavior continues, that it's a possibility. 

Just remember, save yourself some time, bring the right airboat flag, please be respectful of other riders.  I don't think it's necessary to ride wheelies on the pavement, and it's certainly not necessary to create and stir up dust around the trucks, it's just plain rude.  I really think it's fine to do your little speed racing down the levee...way down the levee.  Just remember, it is a LEGAL riding spot, that means FWC is around and could be around the corner at any minute, I don't think you want a reckless driving ticket, or get kicked out and pack your stuff up for the day, that would sure ruin a ride. 

I'm not picking out any certain groups of people either, b/c some of these guys were on 4x4's and some on 2wd's, I've owned both, so I know the type of riding.  I just saw an INFLUX of people coming out there after 8th street closed indefinetly...

I love the place, and I was appauled at how much trash was left from saturday night.  I think we definetly need a cleanup ride or just a few trash cans might not hurt...I mean I can't believe how people litter in the everglades...it's mostly young kids too. 

Anyways, I just wanted to express my feelings about the situation, I love the place, it's my main riding spot and I want to keep it that way for a LONG time. 

BTW, if anyone is going to say that it's closing the 1st, don't post please, I don't want to hear it...unless it's an "active rule change"...then you can post it for me Wink

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
300 quadrunner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »

deff agree, and i wasnt able to make it out there this weekend

Florida Cracker

2001 Mazda B3000
4" lift on 33" MT/R

2002 Honda Rancher 350
2in Lift with 26in mudlites on 12" SS
Snorkeled exhausted jetted and clutch kit
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:15:54 PM »

You know, I have been riding that place for 31 years now, and I have heard more stories about this and that than I can count through them, but from what i understand they do want to fill in the canals and install pipes for the giant everglades plumbing job. When they kick us out, it won't be for disrespectful riders, they have been there forever along with bastards dumping construction debris out there. It will be for big sugar.

I agree it sucks people are dumping trash out there, but that has also been going on forever also. I just pick it up and move on.

People doing doughnuts in the parking lot is a relatively new thing, and since my truck is junk I don't care, but my buddies with nice rigs have been known to go teach them some manners.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 11:37:15 PM »

It sure does suck when people disrespect the few riding areas we have.

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »

It sure does suck when people disrespect the few riding areas we have.

Really isn't any different than all the beer cans I pick up off the reef on every dive I make. In general, people don't care unless it can be seen from their yard, at which point they cry to code enforcement.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:59:19 PM »

Same here. You wouldn't believe all of the trash that I run into while kayaking.

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
Anoriginal

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »

Everyone knows exactly what type of people are causing it. It's going to be closed. Just a matter of time. The few always ruin it for the many.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »

Everyone knows exactly what type of people are causing it. It's going to be closed. Just a matter of time. The few always ruin it for the many.

Yeah, land developers and sugar farmers. No one gives a damn about reckless atv'rs or they would close Krome Ave.

That said, is a ride to the buggy bridge possible right now?

logandzwon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »

You'll need a good atv with good mud tires, but if you have the right bike, ya.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:44:57 PM by logandzwon » Logged
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

Yeah, land developers and sugar farmers. No one gives a damn about reckless atv'rs or they would close Krome Ave.

That said, is a ride to the buggy bridge possible right now?

We made it 1/2 way NO problem, but then my buddies belt light came one...we made the decision to turn around.

We were coming up to the 3rd camp on the main airboat trail when that happened.  We are both on 29.5's with snorkels if it matters, but we were mostly in 2wd. 

We are definetly planning the ride for this upcoming weekend, or the weekend after. It's feasible for us.  We just need to bring more gas, I am putting 2 2.5 gals on top of my cooler.

It was really dry mud up until the first 2 story camp, then it became my favorite...the water!!! We ran a beautiful airboat trail all the way...

I think riding out about 6 miles is prime right now, I love it.

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
shogun323
Supreme Member

Fuzzy Pickles #1 Dancer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »

Nice pics bro. Thanks for sharing!

"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »

Scroll down to page 27........

http://myfwc.com/commission/2007/Dec07/Documents/Prop2008-09DraftRulesforWildlifeandFreshwaterFishPPTAgendaItem4B1and2.pdf
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »

We made it 1/2 way NO problem, but then my buddies belt light came one...we made the decision to turn around.

We were coming up to the 3rd camp on the main airboat trail when that happened.  We are both on 29.5's with snorkels if it matters, but we were mostly in 2wd. 

We are definetly planning the ride for this upcoming weekend, or the weekend after. It's feasible for us.  We just need to bring more gas, I am putting 2 2.5 gals on top of my cooler.

It was really dry mud up until the first 2 story camp, then it became my favorite...the water!!! We ran a beautiful airboat trail all the way...

WOW, I thought it would still be under water, conditions look perfect!!!!!! I hear you on the gas, and have run the exact path you did a hundred times. Awesome pics and vids BTW. I am ready to hit it anytime, less than a 1/2 ride for me.

JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »

So reading the proposal and who made comments, I suspect ATV'rs were not in favor of the change.
I seem to remember a time when you needed a hunting license to ride out there. Where can we find the minutes of the meetings?

jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 03:16:18 PM »

WOW, I thought it would still be under water, conditions look perfect!!!!!! I hear you on the gas, and have run the exact path you did a hundred times. Awesome pics and vids BTW. I am ready to hit it anytime, less than a 1/2 ride for me.

Awesome! It's perfect conditions right now, so I think we are heading out saturday, I'll let you know for sure by PM.  It's an awesome ride! I was on the gas just a tad Wink I was trying to do a steady pace.  We were also in 2wd some of the time, in the vid I was in 4x4 lock though, for some reason my bars kept on jerking around if I wasn't in lock b/c of the marsh/rocks catching my tires. 

08 Brute 750
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »

Those rule changes are pretty strict...seems like it will get outvoted 3/2 if you look at the stats...I don't know maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

08 Brute 750
budman
Supreme Member

No, I'm not depressed...I'm just guarding my beer!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »

It was pretty good out there. jrpro, I ran into you guys out there Sat, out near the 2 story camp. 6 bikes, me on the 2WD Rancher, and my grandson was on his 2WD stock Recon. Well, stock with a snorkel we didn't need Sat.

www.rratv.net

2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »

Awesome! It's perfect conditions right now, so I think we are heading out saturday, I'll let you know for sure by PM.  It's an awesome ride! I was on the gas just a tad Wink I was trying to do a steady pace.  We were also in 2wd some of the time, in the vid I was in 4x4 lock though, for some reason my bars kept on jerking around if I wasn't in lock b/c of the marsh/rocks catching my tires. 

I can see by the pictures it is prime. I have been wanting to run it from the alley entrance, over the buggy bridge and to the parking lot for like a year now. I sure do miss the HL's, one of my favorite places for sure. If it is at all possible, I will make it out Saturday.

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 07:10:27 PM »

Hey pro, that was us(with my Dad Budman) you ran across out there on Saturday. Budman's gang is exactly the kind of riding partner you need out there in that stuff!

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
MATT1969

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »

this place is not meant to be a great riding spot.it is a WMA (wildlife management area)that allows atvs to hunt.this rule has greatly bin twisted.now everyone thinks thay have the right to go out there and ride all over the place hunting season or not. i like how some people say ride at night during hunting saeson.its fine it wont mess up hunting in the daytime.thats just the person that is going to get it back to hunting only out there.when some scouts for months and trys to keep anything human smelling out of his area and someone decides to ride all around his spot at 2 in the am.that spot is trashed.now hes pissed and calling everybody that he can to say that people riding all over out there just to ride is casing problems.so for everybody that says thats a graet place to ride .don't forget it is a hunting area not atv park.so whine all ya want everybody doesn't have the right to ride out there.you just think you do and take advantage of it .
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »

this place is not meant to be a great riding spot.it is a WMA (wildlife management area)that allows atvs to hunt.this rule has greatly bin twisted.now everyone thinks thay have the right to go out there and ride all over the place hunting season or not. i like how some people say ride at night during hunting saeson.its fine it wont mess up hunting in the daytime.thats just the person that is going to get it back to hunting only out there.when some scouts for months and trys to keep anything human smelling out of his area and someone decides to ride all around his spot at 2 in the am.that spot is trashed.now hes pissed and calling everybody that he can to say that people riding all over out there just to ride is casing problems.so for everybody that says thats a graet place to ride .don't forget it is a hunting area not atv park.so whine all ya want everybody doesn't have the right to ride out there.you just think you do and take advantage of it .

WMA's are riding spots for all the public's recreational enjoyment, and we all own them. No one except camp owners have any rights out there to anything except their camps and private owned land. Sorry if you think us riding under your tree stand at night is going to hurt something, but in the end it is public land and if this rule takes effect we will all just start carrying our licenses and guns to ride it. Was like that in the past for a while, and the best hunting is far from where we ride anyway.

MATT1969

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »

if you think all wma,s are public recreational riding areas.then try and go riding at all your state wma areas and see what happens.i have hunted  most of them .there are only a handful that allow atvs.also im not the one you have to worry about if you ride under my  tree stand.its somebody with friends in high places or somebody that just will not stop complaining and making a big deal till someones starts to listen and all atvs are banned for good.there are many more hunters that there are atv riders.you can tell that by how much hunting land there is and how many atv parks we have. some day they are going to ban atvs at hunting areas because they are becoming such a problem.look at like this.you go to a public fishing  area ( they do have no motor fising areas) in a boat to enjoy some fishing and all the sudden there are boats and jet skis all over the place with people skiing . you can not Evan cast you rod its so packed.what do you think is going to happen? someone is going to complain enough .and they will stop allowing boats in that area inless there fishing. as much as nobody wants to hear it there gonna kick every body out of that wma areas who is just riding all over the place.

oh ya and heres florida state law

Florida Hunter Harassment Laws
(28 Fla. Stat. ch. § 372.705 (West Supp. 1995))

FLORIDA STATUTES
TITLE XXVIII. NATURAL RESOURCES; CONSERVATION, RECLAMATION, AND USE CHAPTER 372. WILDLIFE

372.705. Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers
(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:

(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in §. 775.082 or §. 775.083.

Laws 1990, c. 90-170, § 2.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:21:03 PM by MATT1969 » Logged
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »

Hey pro, that was us(with my Dad Budman) you ran across out there on Saturday. Budman's gang is exactly the kind of riding partner you need out there in that stuff!

Oh awesome! Who was on the laws? You guys seemed pertty cool, I like the waders comment, we actually used them a LOT later on down that airboat trail  Cool

You guys go out there often?

It's not hunting season right now.  So what am I hurting?

I don't get how riding at night effects your DAY hunting? I mean I don't know a whole lot about hunting and all, but I don't understand how my riding effects your hunting...I could understand "Hunter Harassment" if I was riding around your tree stand DURING THE DAY.  Totally different story then.

08 Brute 750
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »

WMA's are riding spots for all the public's recreational enjoyment, and we all own them. No one except camp owners have any rights out there to anything except their camps and private owned land. Sorry if you think us riding under your tree stand at night is going to hurt something, but in the end it is public land and if this rule takes effect we will all just start carrying our licenses and guns to ride it. Was like that in the past for a while, and the best hunting is far from where we ride anyway.

x2.  There are no WMA's to my knowledge that you can not "bird whatch" or "walk around".  I could be totally wrong b/c I don't know much about it. 

It's public land, not private.  I could totally underand a hunter whining about what you are if it was YOUR PRIVATE LAND...but it's not.  It's public land, even the land you hunt on...

08 Brute 750
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »

if you think all wma,s are public recreational riding areas.then try and go riding at all your state wma areas and see what happens.i have hunted  most of them .there are only a handful that allow atvs.also im not the one you have to worry about if you ride under my  tree stand.its somebody with friends in high places or somebody that just will not stop complaining and making a big deal till someones starts to listen and all atvs are banned for good.there are many more hunters that there are atv riders.you can tell that by how much hunting land there is and how many atv parks we have. some day they are going to ban atvs at hunting areas because they are becoming such a problem.look at like this.you go to a public fishing  area ( they do have no motor fising areas) in a boat to enjoy some fishing and all the sudden there are boats and jet skis all over the place with people skiing . you can not Evan cast you rod its so packed.what do you think is going to happen? someone is going to complain enough .and they will stop allowing boats in that area inless there fishing. as much as nobody wants to hear it there gonna kick every body out of that wma areas who is just riding all over the place.

oh ya and heres florida state law

Florida Hunter Harassment Laws
(28 Fla. Stat. ch. § 372.705 (West Supp. 1995))

FLORIDA STATUTES
TITLE XXVIII. NATURAL RESOURCES; CONSERVATION, RECLAMATION, AND USE CHAPTER 372. WILDLIFE

372.705. Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers
(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:

(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in §. 775.082 or §. 775.083.

Laws 1990, c. 90-170, § 2.

I do understand what you are saying, and have hunted most if not all the Florida WMA's myself through the years even though they suck (atv's or not)...My point is that it is public land, and not for the exclusive use of hunters. Leaf lickers can go out there and walk around if they so desire. The law you quoted was written specifically for PITA types doing crazy junk to ruin a hunt, but they can still go walk around if they feel like it and no one can stop them without committing murder.

The fact is, it is a great riding spot for only a small handful of people in our sport who enjoy deep muck, it is the yahoos on stolen sport bikes on the levy that are pissing everyone off. That is the problem IMO and should be addressed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com