Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: what would you do
slap on the wrist, don't do that again and let them go on their way.
dock pay
thanks for waiting till you had nothing to do and I'm glad your education is important to you.
talk for an hour to try to make the employee understand that they are stealing from the company

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: calling all bosses and small business owners....  (Read 26982 times)
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »

If there was an incident months ago about this then he knows you are well aware of Policy , Obviously HIS Policy but in any event YOU should not be doing school work regardless..His point of view is he is not paying you to study and do homework.  As an Employee you have to respect that , and he as the Owner needs to make it perfectly clear that when You are on his clock you will be doing work related to HIS business. I bet you he is making a point and using YOU as the example. No matter how you slice it it is his world....

PS- he could always get accidentally smashed in the face with a cinderblock while reading poetry and eating granola under his Boyfriend the Oak tree???

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »

then he should have never been called in on his day it goes both ways

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

If there was an incident months ago about this then he knows you are well aware of Policy , Obviously HIS Policy but in any event YOU should not be doing school work regardless..His point of view is he is not paying you to study and do homework.  As an Employee you have to respect that , and he as the Owner needs to make it perfectly clear that when You are on his clock you will be doing work related to HIS business. I bet you he is making a point and using YOU as the example. No matter how you slice it it is his world....

PS- he could always get accidentally smashed in the face with a cinderblock while reading poetry and eating granola under his Boyfriend the Oak tree???

good point, and maybe that's what I will go into before I start talking about "it was my day off to do school work"

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »

I am quite sure he was given the choice...and if he does not want extra hours he needs to make it clear that he is not to be called when they are short handed.

Not to be a A-hole....but when you deal with ANY company 99% of the time it is not a democracy...and there is no Middle road...I hire people for clerical positions all the time..and I encorage them to better themselves at school....I am quite a pain in the but about annoying them if they are on the fence...pushing them to go for it...HOWEVER..when you hit the clock...we have a job to do...That is the bottom line...to me there is NO gray area.

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »

Maybe he is just getting you disturbed a little wondering if you will be fired to just give you a big raise.

Well maybe not...............He could be reading this forum.  Grin Grin

Anyhow, maybe just go in and explain that you may have made a mistake by assuming since it was your day off to do school work, you figured that he would not mind you working on it after you got everything at work accomplished. That the next time you get called in, either you will check with him first to see if you can do your schoolwork after the work is finished or you will not be able to make it in. Or either you will go in and as soon as the work is finished you will be clocking out and going home to do your school work.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2007, 11:29:26 AM »

First off, it sounds to me like you're not happy working for this gentleman. So why stay. Work place stress is a very taxing on one's quality of life.

Second off, If the guy admonished you previously about a similar incident...that changes things a little bit. It doesn't make it right that your managers called you in and aren't doing there job properly. However, it does say that you've been made aware that management doesn't want you to be completing personal tasks on company time.

Sounds to me like you should find someplace that is more in tune with your own work place philosophy. (If you're only getting $300.00 pay checks, that shouldn't be too hard to do, especially in the tech sector.)

Me, I spend all my time screwing around on ATVFLORIDA.COM and ANGRYMUSLIMS.COM, so I don't have time to do homework or other non productive activities in the work place.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »

he asked,,,,"what kind of gas?"

110 octane Leaded fuel, I replied

It would have been funny if the "tree hugger" explained to you if you don't have about a 12.0 to 1 or higher your just wasting your $$$$ that could be spent on other things that could make your ride go faster.

Race gas does have more additives that will make a race engine run cooler. The only problem is, with a stock Low compression engine, if you use race gas in it, the burn will be so slow and late, it will get the pipe red hot because the flame is burning out the pipe.

Then he offered you a humus sandwich!

Nuke The Whales!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:40:30 AM by UncleRico » Logged

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »

By the way..what is it that your studying?

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »

he asked,,,,"what kind of gas?"

110 octane Leaded fuel, I replied

It would have been funny if the "tree hugger" explained to you if you don't have about a 12.0 to 1 or higher your just wasting your $$$$ that could be spent on other things that could make your ride go faster.

Race gas does have more additives that will make a race engine run cooler. The only problem is, with a stock Low compression engine, if you use race gas in it, the burn will be so slow and late, it will get the pipe red hot because the flame is burning out the pipe.

Then he offered you a humus sandwich!

Nuke The Whales!

read my sig,,,,,the 400EX is ATP'd,,,,but other than that I don't get the chance to ride much and the fuel usually sits in the tank for long periods of time,,,,long enough for regular gas to gum up the works,,,,however with the synthetic stuff it never does that and my quad usually fires up after about the second revolution even if it sits for 6 months.

that's why I stick with the race fuel,,,,,if they made race fuel in lower octane that was cheaper, then I'd go for it.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

By the way..what is it that your studying?

just starting Civil Engineering.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »

I am quite sure he was given the choice...and if he does not want extra hours he needs to make it clear that he is not to be called when they are short handed.

Not to be a A-hole....but when you deal with ANY company 99% of the time it is not a democracy...and there is no Middle road...I hire people for clerical positions all the time..and I encorage them to better themselves at school....I am quite a pain in the but about annoying them if they are on the fence...pushing them to go for it...HOWEVER..when you hit the clock...we have a job to do...That is the bottom line...to me there is NO gray area.

I know its not right to do personal stuff at work under NO situations.... but isn't a boss calling up a employee (away from work) putting business into a employees personal life the same?  The difference, the boss doesn't have to get reprimanded or loose his job by calling, (so he can gamble) the employee could loose everything (well a job), with his gamble to do homework. Not really the same to me.  I try to do everything I can to help my guys out.  In my line of work they can make us or break us.  My guys going the extra mile on every car they touch will bring customers back, if they just did there job we would be the same as every other shop.  So they take care of me I take care of them!!! Now as we all know just because I take care of them doesn't mean they are good to me but thats a gamble I am willing to make for good business.  I also pay 100% benefits... I want the best guys here so I have to treat them the best.  In business everything is a gamble including spending more on my guys. 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »

The #1 thing lost in business Customer Service
The #2 employee working conditions

Think about it... they kinda go hand in hand  Wink

Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »

I agree 100% ...but how can you properly service a customer if you are distracted by Classwork?...How can all employees be happy if Johnny is allowed to do class work in down time while eveyrone else is doing Busy work...Sure Johnny will make up for it later but is it fair to the rest?....OR during downtime John , Steve and Mike are all doing classwork ...and none see they have a customer because innocently enough they are involved ina class project...How do you single one of them out with out making them feel picked on or slighted?.....I know the answer to all of the above Questions...DO NOT ALLOW IT...It is a can of Worms I refuse to Open...

Side Note- You are a GOD for paying 100% benefits..a  Class act, Dying breed my friend..Kudos

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »

Hang up the following flyer in the break room....

COMPANY MEETING
            October 30th 2007
                 12:00 PM
           Re: Forming a Union
   Better Pay - Better Working Conditions

That should spike your boss's tone!

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »

I agree 100% ...but how can you properly service a customer if you are distracted by Classwork?

GOOD POINT , sometimes its hard to imagine situations LOL

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »

Side Note- You are a GOD for paying 100% benefits..a  Class act, Dying breed my friend..Kudos

Thank you, I sometimes think these guys take that for granted (thus the whole, employees not helping me out sometimes) a little over $400 for each person each month LOL I hope what goes around comes around. Anyway thanks  Wink hope business picks up for everyone  Smiley

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »

Hang up the following flyer in the break room....

COMPANY MEETING
            October 30th 2007
                 12:00 PM
           Re: Forming a Union
   Better Pay - Better Working Conditions

That should spike your boss's tone!

LMAO I use to be in a union (actually I still am)... go figure i was the one talking about working conditions LOL  Well back to my personal customer thank you cards (LOL trying to fix #1 problem... customer service)

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »

I agree 100% ...but how can you properly service a customer if you are distracted by Classwork?

GOOD POINT , sometimes its hard to imagine situations LOL

actually, funny you would say that, as I was setting up the homework, a customer called and I walked her and her staff through an issue they were having with their phone system,,,,spent about 9 minutes on the phone doing that.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »

ida you sound like a real nice guy and your boss sounds like a real nebish. you should bring a baseball bat to the meeting and club him like a baby seal in front of the other employees. obviously your trying to better your life. does this guy honestly think you give 2 ..... about his lousy paying work on your day off crappy job? i think not. smash a hamburger down this guys throat! dont let anyone put you down ever! i dont care if its the pope. this guy needs a reality check starting by picking up his teeth with broken fingers. effin vegan! thank you NYRAPTOR  Grin
Anoriginal

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »

Punch his eyes shut then tea bag him.
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »

and then finish him off with a dirty bandit mask! dirty sanchez!
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »

Punch his eyes shut then tea bag him.

Finally, some sound legal advice!

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2007, 05:06:28 PM »

well he was in today so I stopped by there on my way to class(two fold reasoning,,,,one get it over with, two, if he started getting long-winded I could jump up and say "I gotta get to class")

run-down of the meeting, I let him talk first(he loves this) and I was watching the clock so these times are accurate......

he spent 3 minutes talking about how "this could be considered "even though I know this is an ugly word, but 'theft'"(yes these were his words)

then he spent a little over 5 minutes talking about how something like this is a "terminable offense" at most other companies.

3 minutes on how he likes me and I'm one of the "senior technicians" and he doesn't want to lose me over this.

So I told him that I had been thinking of this meeting for a little while and I wanted to say two things to him then comment on both.  I told him that he told me a while back that "when you are a business owner and business is good, everything is good, when business is bad, everything is bad."  I told him that I would never understand that unless I was in his shoes and that later on down the road I probably would be and then I would truely understand, but till then I would do my best to sympathize.

Second, I told him that a couple months ago when I told him about my schooling where this semester I am placed on acedemic probation because of last semester I spent more time at his shop than I did in school, and cared more about the business than I did school, he told me "I don't ever want you to put the needs of this company above the needs of your schooling, and if you have any issues with that to talk to me".  I told him I appreciated that and him more than anything because that was the sign of an awesome boss whom I love to work for, but now I'm confused when I do just what he said to do and am getting in trouble for it.

end of the "meeting" he told me that I would have a written reprimand go in my personnel file, and to expect that in a few days and that the hours I was working were restored.

I'll be stopping by the pizza hut near the house to see if they need delivery drivers.

or am I overreacting?

I just don't get it.

Id@
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:16:05 PM by Ida_Mann » Logged

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »

Academic Probation, Blutarsky? --->

Need I say more?

You are insane if you do not go directly to MONSTER.COM and hook up with a TECH job. Find a good replacement job first, then tell your long winded douche bag of a boss to take his job and tack weld it to his taint!

You  can score a sweet job in the tech sector if you just look online!

(I never understand why people accept lesser pay for the work they're qualified for)

You can find a company where scheduling isn't going to be an issue and interfering with your personal and school life. Just be up front about your time constraints when you interview for your new position.

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »

Rico dam you,,,,I just had about 40 people turn around and stare at me in the library wondering what the crap I was laughing at.

dude, tack welding,,,,,,,Ive got to call my dad on this one. he'll love it.

but yeah,,,,,I'm looking.

I got time between classes,,,,maybe I'll go to work for a competitor in town ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com