Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon FIOS  (Read 16964 times)
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »

i've been having trouble with my fios internet
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »

BTW I have compared BHN and FiOS side by side as I set up demonstrations for government officals to compare the differences. But thanks for the offer.

If you go back and read my previous post you will find that I offered CR1 the comparison not you since he was the one asking for advice.

Sorry,

What issue you having and if I can't talk you through it I do have connections that can fix it for ya.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 06:07:15 PM »

Verizon FiOS is superior in internet speed, video signal and voice quality. If I could get FiOS in WPB I would have it as I am continually having to reset my comcast modem daily. All companies have been using fiber for years for their trunking networks. What you need to do is compare them side by side as I have and you will see the difference.

I just realized after re reading your post that you have "Comcast". That's not comparing apples to apples because Comcast does not keep up or upgrade their system like Bright House does.They would rather put a cost effective band aid on a problem instead of correcting it. Before you compare companies side by side make sure your comparing the companies your considering.CR1,if you would like an ACTUAL side by side comparison of Verizon and BHN let me know and I could scan one and send it to you.
Actually I lived in Brandon until last December so I am well aware of what Brighthouse does or doesn't do. The training we did was classroom training I managed centers in the Midwest, Texas and Southeast plus Virgina, Maryland and Pennsylvania for a while. At one time I had over 160 instructors working including a retired professor from Duke University that did fiber optic research for them. I have given live demonstrations to our legislative bodies and had US Secretary of Labor Elaine Chow visit our training center to learn first hand what the fiber optics was about. So I believe I am well equipped to make any comparison

Dude did I hit a nerve or what? 160 instructors,a retired professor from Duke University,live demonstrations to our legislative bodies?Huh?? You are either talking about something else or you are off your rocker.IT'S ONLY CABLE!!!!!Why would the US secretary of labor want to learn first hand about fiber optics and how much can she actually comprehend or obtain to make any decisions based on what she heard or seen on a particular visit. I am strictly talking about the benefits or differences between Fiber and RF / Coax pertaining to the consumer,not the architecture of the plant or the infrastructure for that matter. The concept is simple. Unless I'm looking at it all wrong and I should be pushing for a meeting with the secretary of defense in hopes of saving the world followed up with a meeting with NASA to see if I can possibly go on an expedition from galaxy to galaxy looking for life form only to subject them to my theories and ultimately leave them a comparison guide between several different cable providers. Lighten up a little. Theres enough business for all cable companies.
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »

Enough for this debate the proof will be in the eyes of the consumer just as not all people like Ford or Chevy, not all will like BHN or VZ.

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

tastes great

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

Less filling. Wink

Comcast just announced 12MBs. Wink

FiOS offers 5mb, 15mb and 30mb currently with plans to roll out 100mb later this year. I happen to know just a little about the product and the cable offerings. My team trained over 1500 techs in Texas, florida and indiana before I retired and was also involved in the development of the training courses and currently consult on training for the AT&T training.

Ok, I'm sold!! Where do i have to move to for 100mb??

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »

Sarasota, Tampa, North of Clearwater, maybe QT will let you room with her or Cain maybe another option Smiley Smiley
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »

ENOUGH!..........................Sprint is the BEST!       Wi-MAX coming soon to your area.  Grin

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »

ENOUGH!..........................Sprint is the BEST!       Wi-MAX coming soon to your area.  Grin

If I wanted slow internet I would just get a Direcway like I sell, at least it will work ANYWHERE. Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »

Oppps......... did I just let Sprint top sercet Wi-max (Xohm) on the internet? Oh well  Smiley

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

If I wanted slow internet I would just get a Direcway like I sell, at least it will work ANYWHERE. Wink

Clueless again?

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »

let me bring up to speed...hehehehe  http://www.xohm.com/index_a.html

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Justbilly

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »

My 6mb DSL from AT&T seems to work just fine.  its a constant 5.9-6mb down speed and cost me $37 a month.

I'm not complaining
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »

Clueless again?

Settle down now, don't start with the personal attacks. This vaporware is hardly a secret.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/15/sprints-mobile-wimax-service-called-xohm/

A little research and we find this gem:

Confirmed: Sprint’s WiMAX Solution is “Xohm”
August 16 John Biggs     
Photo via EngadgetAre you ready to rock and xohm? Are you and your family xohmin’? Are you xohming like a… homing pigeon? If you answered any of these questions with a resounding “Xyes” then Sprint Nextel has something special for you.

Enter Xohm, their WiMAX solution which should be announced later today. It xounds like “home” but with a z and the reaxon there’s an x in there ix becauxe “The X-factor makes it cool.” Mmmhmm.

The new service, which should reach market saturation by the end of 2008, will run at about 2Mbps over the air with a potential maximum of 4Mbps — these are obviously in ideal conditions without interference. No pricing or real availability, xo i guexx we have to wait.

Blazing fast Directway speeds. LMAO, we are talking about FAST internet here. Wink

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:00:11 AM by JackL » Logged

big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »

No personal attack here  Cool  If your sprint card is as slow as you direc-way system, maybe you're using that laptop that Fred Flintstone gave you.

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

No personal attack here  Cool  If your sprint card is as slow as you direc-way system, maybe you're using that laptop that Fred Flintstone gave you.

Are you kidding me with this? It is a well known fact that sprint cards are slow and unreliable to the point I know guys who have thrown them out their truck windows. Direcway is certainly not the answer for everyone, but is the only way to get reliable 2Mbs internet in many remote locations. I am in fact going to install eight of them in the Bahamas next week at a VERY exclusive resort so expensive if I posted the price of a week stay there you and no one else would ever believe me. I will say one week there could pay off your house though.

Nick Hexum of 311 has one installed on his private rental island off of Big Pine Key, and I suspect people forking out $8500 a week would complain if it had any issues at all. Wink http://melodykey.com/main.html
Cell phones and air cards do work there so don't try and steal my customer. LMAO.

big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »

WOW..........I guess you know it all when it comes to wireless....

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »

WOW..........I guess you know it all when it comes to wireless....

I am impressed, normally at this point you would post a picture or something else equally silly. Wink

I never claimed to know it all when it comes to wireless, but considering I have heard these tired old claims at both the 2005 and 2006 CES shows excuse me if I am just a little apprehensive on yet more BS from a guy who fell for....Bah, nevermind.
If this system turns out to be worth a damn I will certainly be offering it to my customers it will serve well.

I'm still trying to figure out why you even injected this into this thread where people were talking about home based solutions that run up to 100MBs using lightwaves and fiber though...oh well, it was fun for me anyway.

fdndantpa

I rather be riding.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 02:11:09 PM »

Well both networks have its issues. You will hear horrors from either side cable or fios. You have to pick what fits your speed/budget needs. Fiber is better then copper lines for many reasons speed, durability, inductance, it does not rust or short out in water and other reasons. There is a reason the Networks (verizon, dimhouse, sprint, ect) use it rather then copper. At some point your internet/phone ride fiber. For todays needs either is fine. Think of this if you have a 30 meg. download and the website or file server your downloading your file from only has a t1 1.54 meg upload your not going to get your file at 30 meg. Most people only see the big number networks throw at you and miss the small one up front... example dsl 768k up 3meg down.. all fine and good but if your at home expecting a 3 meg download from a server off site with the same dsl 768k up 3 meg down you can only get the 768k to your house. On the other hand if you are downloading from large company's.. ex microsucks, ebay, yahoo. They have large internet pipes ds3's and Oc's 45 meg uploads and higher. So you may get your 3 meg download from music from them. All in all there is no "best" quite yet. Until the day comes that we all have 10 meg up 10 meg down or better. However, I would put my money on the fiber network after it is fully deployed.. meaning no more Mexicans digging ditches laying in fiber. That is usually the biggest complaint fiber network users have when they add another leg to the fiber they knock crap down. And the voip they use to get your phone line isn't quite there yet either there are some lil' issues with that to. ex: your alarm just might communicate to dispatch anymore.. your faxes just might not work all the time.. oh an if you need disconnect supervison on your line forget it.. oh and if you want trunks they dont do those yet. All said just get what doesnt break the bank and if you dont know what something is ask questions. Companies are always going to oversell you its what they do. Ps my YFZ 450 is the bestest. Tongue
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 10:37:43 PM »

September 20, 2007 11:36 AM ET Two Years After Launch, Verizon FiOS TV Continues to Break New Ground in the Subscription TV Marketadvertisement

Article tools E-mail this article Print-friendly version Discuss this articleStocks mentioned in this articleVerizon Communications Inc (VZ) Stock Quote, Chart, News, Add to WatchlistRelated newsVerizon Spent $3.4M Lobbying GovernmentStocks End Higher After Oracle EarningsBusiness HighlightsSector Glance: TelecomLeaders & Laggards: DJIA
All PR Newswire newsIndustry Experts, Customers Cite Verizon's Focus on New Ideas and Customer Satisfaction Setting Sales Records in Texas

NEW YORK, Sept. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon is bringing new ideas and products to the subscription TV marketplace as it celebrates the second anniversary of Verizon FiOS TV this week and as customers and industry analysts alike praise the all-fiber-optic TV service.

The service is a hit with customers. In the short two years that Verizon has been offering FiOS TV in its first market, Texas, more than 25 percent of the customers there who could subscribe to FiOS TV have done so. Penetration for FiOS Internet, launched in August 2004, exceeded 35 percent in Texas as of June 30, 2007.

Independent experts from the industry research firms Parks Associates, In- Stat and the Yankee Group, as well as customers, say Verizon is offering more choice for entertainment throughout the home and providing high-quality service that creates customer loyalty.

When it was introduced in September 2005, FiOS TV offered excellent value and superior picture quality and performance to its subscribers. Soon after, Verizon began adding new services and personalizing features to differentiate FiOS TV from the competition and deliver greater value to its customers. This commitment to continuous service innovation is moving Verizon FiOS TV to the forefront of the marketplace, according to Kurt Scherf, vice president and principal analyst for Parks Associates.

"Verizon is leveraging its infrastructure and technology advantages -- its fiber-optic network, the in-home network and the FiOS TV platform -- to maximum effect," Scherf said. "At this point, FiOS TV is 18 months to two years ahead of where the rest of the industry needs to be."

Among the FiOS TV breakthroughs cited by Scherf are its Home Media DVR service, which was introduced in August 2006, and the new FiOS TV interactive media guide (IMG) that helps customers quickly and easily find what they want from all content sources -- TV listings, video-on-demand catalogs and digital video recorders (DVRs) -- in a single search.

Home Media DVR has two groundbreaking features not available from cable: multi-room DVR and Media Manager. With multi-room DVR, families can watch different recorded shows on up to three TVs at the same time, and they can pause a recorded show in one room and resume it in another. Media Manager allows customers to create photo slideshows and music playlists on their home PC and play them on their home entertainment systems.

"With Home Media DVR, Verizon is opening up a variety of new entertainment experiences for its subscribers," said Scherf. "When you add the powerful yet simple content-search capabilities of the new IMG, it's clear that FiOS TV provides a more personalized user experience that is very different from the 'one size fits all' services that others offer."

FiOS TV Called a 'Change Agent'

Michelle Abraham, principal analyst for In-Stat, believes that this focus on service innovation has positioned FiOS TV as an "agent of change" in the pay TV industry.

"Change agents are service providers that force their competitors to respond to unique new features they bring to market -- features that positively change the user experience," Abraham said. "In much the same manner that satellite TV's advocacy of the DVR forced cable providers to add DVRs to their offerings, FiOS TV is rolling out new features and functions that cable will be forced to address.

"Verizon has steadily enhanced FiOS TV, moving it to the head of the class," Abraham added.

Verizon also gets kudos for its success in delivering high-quality customer care, said Yankee Group analyst Josh Martin, whose research brings him into contact with a variety of subscription TV customers. "You can never minimize the importance of customer service to the strength of the business relationship and customer loyalty," he said. "A good customer service experience begins with installation, continues with regular support and is an important customer retention tool."

Two-Year Customer Applauds FiOS TV

Customers like Marc Clemons of Keller, Texas, have responded by signing up for the service as soon as it's available in their area. Clemons, who participated in a pre-launch trial in 2005, was one of the first customers to sign up for the service when it launched. Two years later, he is still bullish.

"It's been the most incredible TV service I've ever had," he said. "You're either part of the technology revolution or you're not, and I wanted to be part of the cutting edge. I was lucky when Verizon solicited me for the trial, and it's been a whirlwind of incredible opportunity ever since."

Shawn Strickland, vice president of video solutions for Verizon, said, "On behalf of the thousands of Verizon employees who work on FiOS TV, we appreciate the positive reviews of these experts and the comments we receive from customers every day. We look forward to delighting our customers with morenew services, including bringing Internet content to the TV, which will further enhance their whole-home entertainment experience."

Verizon launched FiOS TV in Keller, Texas, on Sept. 22, 2005, delivering the service on the nation's largest fiber-optic network that extends all the way to customers' homes. As of June 30, 2007, Verizon FiOS TV had 515,000 subscribers and was available to more than 3.9 million households in nearly 500 communities in 12 states. The company will update FiOS TV statistics when it reports third-quarter earnings on Oct. 29.

Verizon Communications Inc. VZ, headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 62 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of more than 238,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion.
buzzardman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »

I switched from verizon to bright house last month.  Verizon customer service was horrible and they always overcharged.  I traded that for Brighthouse and withing the last month I have missed more of my favorite tv shows than I can mention because the darn tv just goes blank and stays that way.  I have also lost my internet connection 4 times this month for over 3 hrs each time.  They all suck.  I mis my very large antenna and ham radio.  Cry
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 01:29:20 AM »

BTW I have compared BHN and FiOS side by side as I set up demonstrations for government officals to compare the differences. But thanks for the offer.

If you go back and read my previous post you will find that I offered CR1 the comparison not you since he was the one asking for advice.

Sorry,

What issue you having and if I can't talk you through it I do have connections that can fix it for ya.

got a new router and it seems to be working. thanks though
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »

Diggin' up an old post here, but here's the scoop. After a year my bill went up $32. I made a bluff and called Verizon to cancel the whole thing. They were nice on the phone and setup the whole bill to be like it was before. I knew they would do this so I didn't have to cancel. If anyone else out there is in the same situation. Just call to cancel and they will do what they can to keep you as a customer.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
predatorracer8

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »

Dont be fooled by there stupid commercials.Sure it's Fiber Optic to your door but once it hits the demarcation point " your wallbox outside" it transform to coaxial cable before it hits your TV. And as far as it being on three different spectrums of light 1310,1490, and 1550 well that's just Verizon trying to make it sound like some big deal. That's just different wavelenghts of light. 1310 is for upstream data,1490 is for your downstream and 1550 is the wavelength used for your television signal. All of these are standard for any provider.And then to say the light is so clean it's 20 db hot.SO FREAKIN WHAT!!  If you have old internal 59 wiring with old crap radio shack splitters in your attic with do it yourself fittings you most likely have excessive signal loss and degradation anyway so what good is 20 db hot???I want to slap that kid in the head that does the Verizon commercial. He's the most annoying kid in the world. Bright House "aka" Time Warner has been using fiber optics for years just not to the door. Voice services " phone" internet and cable "including high definition" works fine using copper as long as the wiring is up to spec. Verizon has a phone mentality in a cable industry just like Americast and Knology tried to do in the past.It's over kill. Verizon Fios is already deployed in Palm Harbor and Bright House is taking customers back as fast as they go to them. Most customers just like to try something new. To answer your question,don't be fooled by those stupid commercials.

i sent you a message
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

I responded.Check your PMs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com