Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon FIOS  (Read 16974 times)
cr1

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »

thinking of going to fiber optics and getting the verizon fios .anyone already have it ,how is it ?good, bad  ok??
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »

Watch you bill with Verizon... They tried to charge my friend for stuff that he didn't purchase...

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »

why get 5mb with you can get 8mb from comcast for the same price

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »

I would go with Comcast.

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »

Dont be fooled by there stupid commercials.Sure it's Fiber Optic to your door but once it hits the demarcation point " your wallbox outside" it transform to coaxial cable before it hits your TV. And as far as it being on three different spectrums of light 1310,1490, and 1550 well that's just Verizon trying to make it sound like some big deal. That's just different wavelenghts of light. 1310 is for upstream data,1490 is for your downstream and 1550 is the wavelength used for your television signal. All of these are standard for any provider.And then to say the light is so clean it's 20 db hot.SO FREAKIN WHAT!!  If you have old internal 59 wiring with old crap radio shack splitters in your attic with do it yourself fittings you most likely have excessive signal loss and degradation anyway so what good is 20 db hot???I want to slap that kid in the head that does the Verizon commercial. He's the most annoying kid in the world. Bright House "aka" Time Warner has been using fiber optics for years just not to the door. Voice services " phone" internet and cable "including high definition" works fine using copper as long as the wiring is up to spec. Verizon has a phone mentality in a cable industry just like Americast and Knology tried to do in the past.It's over kill. Verizon Fios is already deployed in Palm Harbor and Bright House is taking customers back as fast as they go to them. Most customers just like to try something new. To answer your question,don't be fooled by those stupid commercials.
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »

I've had it for 6 months and am very happy with it. At my house, the Brighthouse signal was weak coming in and my HD channels would cut out. I was also resetting my cable modem daily because of signal loss. The internet speed is also a lot faster, including the upload speed (at least in my neighborhood). I got the phone package, too. Unlimited long distance is nice. At the time I signed up, it cost me exactly the same as Brighthouse, but I did get the two additional cable boxes. Reliable internet service is extremely important to me as I'm on it all day long. It hasn't gone done in 6 months so I'm sticking with it.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »

I am amazed how many people think they get High Def but really don't LMAO people think they get a good deal on a TV on sale.  Something for people to think about, what you need:

1) High Def signal (and even though you pay for high def not all channels or programs)

2) Sat. Box / Cable box / Blue ray player (this box needs to be able to handle 1080 WITH the right connections)

3) Connectors (for video/sound NOT coax, right now it seems to be HDMI that is good it takes care of both at full 1080)

4) Last but not least a TV that can handle 1080

When you have all 4 picture and sound is AWSOME nothing compares (on Blue Ray)  I know there are even more things to consider (especially in a TV) but these are the basics

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »

CRAP I am sorry I think this topic is more on internet speed than High Def. sorry just got carried away.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »

I've had it for 6 months and am very happy with it. At my house, the Brighthouse signal was weak coming in and my HD channels would cut out. I was also resetting my cable modem daily because of signal loss. The internet speed is also a lot faster, including the upload speed (at least in my neighborhood). I got the phone package, too. Unlimited long distance is nice. At the time I signed up, it cost me exactly the same as Brighthouse, but I did get the two additional cable boxes. Reliable internet service is extremely important to me as I'm on it all day long. It hasn't gone done in 6 months so I'm sticking with it.

You said at the time you signed up it cost the same. Is it still the same price now? If not give it time and it will go up. Are you saying it was the same for all three services or just for cable because in most areas you can get phone,cable,and internet for under $100.00 with BHN. You stated that you had weak signal coming in and your HD channels would cut out and you would lose your internet. That is a situation that could have / should have been fixed by BHN.Your situation was such because Bright House Networks dropped the ball and did not fix your signal issue but like I said previously if the wiring is up to spec "including signal levels" then there is no problem with using copper/coax for all three Voice,Internet,and Cable services. Bright House won the JD Powers award for reliability and customer satisfaction the last two years.If you take that and combine it with customer turn over and customer retention you will see that Verizon Fios is no big deal. Alot of hype because it's new. As far as speed you can go as fast as you want with BHN as long as you pay for it. Some people want to use the residential service to run a business/server without paying business rates but you can get 5,10 and 15mb with the residential service for cheap.As far as the unlimited long distance goes BHN includes that as well with their phone service for free. You obviously had a bad experience with BHN and a good one with Verizon Fios but that is not the norm. You see it from a disgruntled customer stand point and I see it from a factual numbers stand point through weekly meetings,graph charts etc etc. I'm not saying you shouldn't feel like you do I'm just saying numbers don't lie which is why I initially answered CR1s question. There's room for both companys and competition never hurts. I could go on and on with reasons why BHN is a better choice but I will not bore you any further.CR1 if you want me to send you a comparison or if you have any questions just send me a PM and I will be glad to help you.
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »

Dont be fooled by there stupid commercials.Sure it's Fiber Optic to your door but once it hits the demarcation point " your wallbox outside" it transform to coaxial cable before it hits your TV. And as far as it being on three different spectrums of light 1310,1490, and 1550 well that's just Verizon trying to make it sound like some big deal. That's just different wavelenghts of light. 1310 is for upstream data,1490 is for your downstream and 1550 is the wavelength used for your television signal. All of these are standard for any provider.And then to say the light is so clean it's 20 db hot.SO FREAKIN WHAT!!  If you have old internal 59 wiring with old crap radio shack splitters in your attic with do it yourself fittings you most likely have excessive signal loss and degradation anyway so what good is 20 db hot???I want to slap that kid in the head that does the Verizon commercial. He's the most annoying kid in the world. Bright House "aka" Time Warner has been using fiber optics for years just not to the door. Voice services " phone" internet and cable "including high definition" works fine using copper as long as the wiring is up to spec. Verizon has a phone mentality in a cable industry just like Americast and Knology tried to do in the past.It's over kill. Verizon Fios is already deployed in Palm Harbor and Bright House is taking customers back as fast as they go to them. Most customers just like to try something new. To answer your question,don't be fooled by those stupid commercials.

Yeah but, He's got a nice van.  Wink

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
MAJORLEAGUEQUADS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

All networks use fiber optic at some point. comcast and the other cable companies use fiber optic it just doesnt go to your house, the fiber stops at a node then feeds a few city blocks. verizon's FIOS is FTTP (fiber to the premises) and once it reaches your house it turns to coaxial cable. FIOS is really growing in the northeast like new york, delaware, new jersey, and virginia. I know this because i design these infrastructures

who do you work for cable guy?
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »

Bright House Networks in Pinellas.
jujulo700R

When my clutch pops, my front wheels will hop!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 09:55:24 PM »

I too have had the Fios for about 7 months and couldn't be happier. I used to have Brighthouse networks and I hated it. I would constantly have to keep my fingers crossed hoping that my internet wasn't down. It would go out at least 3 times a month. I haven't had my internet go down not once with Verizon. Three times a month may not seem like a lot, but when you have a credit card payment that is due and your internet is down so you have to go find a library, then it is too much. Not to mention my TV would go in and out all the time. But what really made me decide to give BHN the boot was the fact that when I cancelled TV service with them and kept the sorry internet, they sent BHN guys out to my house twice to get me to sign up for TV service again. I hate people coming to my house uninvited, ringing my door bell while I am trying to eat dinner with my family.  That sealed it!

Just a little fast and just a little furious.
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »

Verizon FiOS is superior in internet speed, video signal and voice quality. If I could get FiOS in WPB I would have it as I am continually having to reset my comcast modem daily. All companies have been using fiber for years for their trunking networks. What you need to do is compare them side by side as I have and you will see the difference.

JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 08:48:19 AM »

Comcast just announced 12MBs. Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »

allrighty, most are beating up brighthouse, so I'll chime in.

I've had timewarner/brighthouse for my internet for 7 years now, I had an issue where I was resetting the modem and not getting very good speeds at all for about a week back when it was first installed three houses ago,,,,,,ever since then I have been down a total of one day.

and I download a lot,,,, I will see an average of 8Mb download speed throughout the day no matter what time it is.

fiber,,,pbsh, don't need it here.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »

FiOS offers 5mb, 15mb and 30mb currently with plans to roll out 100mb later this year. I happen to know just a little about the product and the cable offerings. My team trained over 1500 techs in Texas, florida and indiana before I retired and was also involved in the development of the training courses and currently consult on training for the AT&T training.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 03:10:42 PM »

FiOS offers 5mb, 15mb and 30mb currently with plans to roll out 100mb later this year. I happen to know just a little about the product and the cable offerings. My team trained over 1500 techs in Texas, florida and indiana before I retired and was also involved in the development of the training courses and currently consult on training for the AT&T training.

So I see why we BOTH would be a little biased.What exactly did you train 1500 techs to do?
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:49 PM »

splice, test and install fiber service, setup customer pcs, check for virus, wired and wireless networking and home entertainment systems for maximum performance
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »

the FiOS product line was not susposed to show a profit for five years but actually started showing profit at 3 due to the overwhelming response and take rate. Verizon stock has been on the rise this year
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »

Verizon FiOS is superior in internet speed, video signal and voice quality. If I could get FiOS in WPB I would have it as I am continually having to reset my comcast modem daily. All companies have been using fiber for years for their trunking networks. What you need to do is compare them side by side as I have and you will see the difference.

I just realized after re reading your post that you have "Comcast". That's not comparing apples to apples because Comcast does not keep up or upgrade their system like Bright House does.They would rather put a cost effective band aid on a problem instead of correcting it. Before you compare companies side by side make sure your comparing the companies your considering.CR1,if you would like an ACTUAL side by side comparison of Verizon and BHN let me know and I could scan one and send it to you.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »

splice, test and install fiber service, setup customer pcs, check for virus, wired and wireless networking and home entertainment systems for maximum performance
[/quot

So did you train 1500 installers,service techs,line men,pc techs,or what?I'm confused. Did you train people to work from hub to node to tap to TV or was it a classroom type training?
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 05:37:32 PM »

I just realized after re reading your post that you have "Comcast". That's not comparing apples to apples because Comcast does not keep up or upgrade their system like Bright House does.They would rather put a cost effective band aid on a problem instead of correcting it. Before you compare companies side by side make sure your comparing the companies your considering.CR1,if you would like an ACTUAL side by side comparison of Verizon and BHN let me know and I could scan one and send it to you.
Actually I lived in Brandon until last December so I am well aware of what Brighthouse does or doesn't do. The training we did was classroom training I managed centers in the Midwest, Texas and Southeast plus Virgina, Maryland and Pennsylvania for a while. At one time I had over 160 instructors working including a retired professor from Duke University that did fiber optic research for them. I have given live demonstrations to our legislative bodies and had US Secretary of Labor Elaine Chow visit our training center to learn first hand what the fiber optics was about. So I believe I am well equipped to make any comparison
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »

BTW I have compared BHN and FiOS side by side as I set up demonstrations for government officals to compare the differences. But thanks for the offer.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »

BTW I have compared BHN and FiOS side by side as I set up demonstrations for government officals to compare the differences. But thanks for the offer.

If you go back and read my previous post you will find that I offered CR1 the comparison not you since he was the one asking for advice.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com