Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building jumps.  (Read 4385 times)
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »

whats up everyone. I've been building some small jumps around my yard the last year or so but i want to go bigger! I already have a 30 footer built but i only get about 4-5 feet off the ground at best. I built it off of the back of a burm, into a ditch (its pretty fun!) but now i want a big jump in my field. maybe another 30 foot jump with more air, cant go much further i only have stock suspension and if i were to case it...yikes. Anyway its gotta be a double because im not hauling in a crap load of dirt.

So what im looking for is just how to keep this damn sand formed? the burm jump after about the fourth time i hit it i have to reshape it which gets old realllll quick. And any tips that would help me make a smooth, big air jump. Anything ya got!!

Thanks everyone.  Grin 

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »

not much you can do in the sand clay will be your best bet but since its not that bike of a jump try getting a sheet of plywood lay it on the face and cover it with dirt that should work pretty well.

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:11:43 PM »

You can't keep sand formed.

You can check out http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips4.php for some tips on building jumps.

You might consider using 1/2" plywood which is flexible. The lip is key to any jump...you can make your jump with the dirt, then drive the 2 x 4's  into the dirt, then nail the plywood to the top of the 2 x 4s. Then you back fill the dirt under and over the plywood. It's a cheap solution.

The best is metal jumps though...know any welders?

And if you get hurt, tell them QT told you how to build it, not Uncle Rico.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

yeah i was thinking about picking a sheet up for that reason. I was thinking about using some brick we have laying around but i don't think I'll have enough to make a difference.

I'll have to look around and see if anyone around my area is selling clay, I'm sure theres someone. If its cheap I'll just do that.

i think building the landing and knowing where to place it is going to be the hardest part. I guess I'll search the web and see if i cant pull anything up. If i do I'll post it on here in case anyone else in interested

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
yfz122
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »

some kids in my neighborhood built their jumps in the sugarsand and covered them with old carpet. it actually works pretty good. they seem to be holding up very well.   

Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away
Hondabeefast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »

some kids in my neighborhood built their jumps in the sugarsand and covered them with old carpet. it actually works pretty good. they seem to be holding up very well.   
i have seen this been done before at some trails near one of my buddys house it worked out alright

02' Honda CR125
05' Honda 450R
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »

You can't keep sand formed.

You can check out http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips4.php for some tips on building jumps.

You might consider using 1/2" plywood which is flexible. The lip is key to any jump...you can make your jump with the dirt, then drive the 2 x 4's  into the dirt, then nail the plywood to the top of the 2 x 4s. Then you back fill the dirt under and over the plywood. It's a cheap solution.

The best is metal jumps though...know any welders?

And if you get hurt, tell them QT told you how to build it, not Uncle Rico.

thanks for the tips. One of my good friends is a welder actually. maybe i can dig up some designs and have one made! didnt really think about that.  

yeah i think what kills jumps the most is your tires pushing the dirt back and to the sides. If you can prevent that then your set. When i get done with this thing i'll post some picks.

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
quadracer1992
Supreme Member

***Anthony*** **FF+J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »

This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »

This works great.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »

Dang, did I see Uncle Rico, he still lives...... Tongue

Hi ya Uncle....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »

i think building the landing and knowing where to place it is going to be the hardest part. I guess I'll search the web and see if i cant pull anything up. If i do I'll post it on here in case anyone else in interested

It sounds to me like you don't have too much experience with jumps. (No offense) You should start making your landing as a long downslope so you don't undershoot or overshoot it. You never want to land flat..you want to always land on a slope.  The longer the slope..the more room for error you have.

Also, be sure you learn how to adjust your pitch in the air by using the throttle and the brakes.

Here's some video of Fox17 on a 400 using a plywood ramp.

Notice his unique landing style.

The jumps in your back yard should look something like these --->
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:27:06 PM by UncleRico » Logged

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »

lol no, i know all that stuff. none taken, but building a jump from flat land is harder than just forming one out of the terrain that is there like I'm use to doing. if you've ever been to hardrock, i hit all but two jumps out on the main track. Not like its an extreme track, but if you don't know what your doing a few of them will eff you up. the 100fter in the back screams ambulance to me....and the water tower still scares me haha.

i must have watched that part on huevos 9 a million times, i would love to be able to do that. its so badass

at first i thought you were serious with that ramp setup in the first video all i could think is "im no longer taking advice from rico" lol

Thank you for all the tips, i'll post some pics when im done with it.

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
rancher4lyfe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:34:49 PM »

make a really big lip for awesome air!!!    Yup!

LTR450 YELLOW WITH C-BOMB,PRO TAPERS AND NERF BARS .RANCHER 350 26"GATORS ON ITP RIMS
2003 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB WITH EXHAUST
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com