Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane shutter help  (Read 3045 times)
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:26:16 PM »

We're thinking about putting hurricane shutters up and looking at the different types. Does anyone on here have any of the window shutters up and what kind do you have.

Thanks
Kari

dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »

I have installed many different types, BUT in my opinion, you`ll be just as well off with some 1/2" plywood ( NOT osb board) I mean something like cdx 5 layer ply. Cut it to fit snuggly in the openings. Then you can use the clips like whats at HD, or Lowes, or I just ripped down 2 1/2" wide strips of 3/4" plywood and tap-conned them down on the top and bottom of each opening.

If Jodi needs help, have him give me a shout Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

I have installed many different types, BUT in my opinion, you`ll be just as well off with some 1/2" plywood ( NOT osb board) I mean something like cdx 5 layer ply. Cut it to fit snuggly in the openings. Then you can use the clips like whats at HD, or Lowes, or I just ripped down 2 1/2" wide strips of 3/4" plywood and tap-conned them down on the top and bottom of each opening.

If Jodi needs help, have him give me a shout Wink

Agreed, and the clips are called plylocks

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
jpease

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »

lets face it, if a big one comes shutters might save your windows but who cares when there is no roof left.  I lived in the Caribbean for many years and lived through a lot more hurricanes than most have ever seen.  The truth is a category 1- 3 are for the most part survivable and covering the glass windows will help providing a big tree doesn't fall on your roof.  If the house is built to the latest codes 3-4 most likely the soffits blows off on both sides creating a wind tunnel.  All the insulation blows off.  The high wind and rain hits the one side of the house goes vertical into the attic comes out through the other end wetting and ruining everything.  Ceiling most like fall down and drywall and studs get wet and ruined.  2 days later in Florida heat mold has cover the whole inside of the house making it none livable.  A cat 4 1/2 and above forget about it.  Your roof is most likely gone.  If not the roof tiles are for sure and water and mold damages everything.

Hopefully anyone encountering a 4-5 will have common sense to pack up your bags and go.  The worst past about Hurricane in Florida that really don't exist in the Caribbean which is really worse are the tornadoes that feeder band generate.  Very unpredictable situation IMHO.

I wouldn't do anymore than what Dynodon recommends.  Does folks that spend 40,000 in shutters and generators thinking they are going to survive the big one are just plain fools.
sbripple

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:59:12 PM »

the problem with ply wood is storage.it works great as protection but if you dont have a dry place to store it you will replace it every year.steel panels are cheapest  but heavy and more dangerous.Aluminum panels are easiest to handle and store,but more money.Accordians are expensive but do a great job as far as ease of operation and speed to close up or open back up.I lived here for 26 years before I saw my first hurricane.I dont board up anything.We made it thru 3 hurricanes with nothing on the windows.I lost my roof  but shutters would not help that.screwed on a new one.I dont plan on doing anything if one comes.
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »

TRUE !!!!! I should have mentioned that it would be a good idea to paint BOTH sides of the ply also !!!!1

As for the roof coming off, or the "new" building codes, The roofs are designed to come off as a whole and leave the shell of the house behind.
 I have built houses most of my life, in the north ( I dont want to hear any Yankee crap either !!!) and here in fl. as well. The "straping" is NOT meant to hold the roof down, but rather to hold it together so it will all come off in a hurricane situation.

But, as ^ stated, covering windows will NOT save you in the event of a big storm.... BUT , the ins. company cannot claim you didnt try to prevent damage by not covering them.

The " Black Pearl "
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »

TRUE !!!!! I should have mentioned that it would be a good idea to paint BOTH sides of the ply also !!!!1

As for the roof coming off, or the "new" building codes, The roofs are designed to come off as a whole and leave the shell of the house behind.
 I have built houses most of my life, in the north ( I dont want to hear any Yankee crap either !!!) and here in fl. as well. The "straping" is NOT meant to hold the roof down, but rather to hold it together so it will all come off in a hurricane situation.

But, as ^ stated, covering windows will NOT save you in the event of a big storm.... BUT , the ins. company cannot claim you didnt try to prevent damage by not covering them.

Freakin yankee.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
bigscrub79
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »

Freakin yankee.
Yeah we dont care how you did it up north. Wink

NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:36:17 PM »

Hi My name is john and i'm a freakin yankee. i used the F track so it's less noticeable. word. then i just wing nut the panels to it. you can use lexan panels wich are clear so you can still have light in case   of power outage. BOOGIE DOWN PASCO COUNTY IN THE HOUSE.
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »

Yeah, Yeah, I know " happiness is a NORTH bound Yankee" right ?!?!?!?!?!!

I am a transplant by now, I have been here for over 12 years

CRACKER Grin

The " Black Pearl "
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:43:25 PM »

3. almost.
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »

Hey Don,This is Jody.The shutters are for my mom and dad.They just want something that can be used year after year that looks nice.and they dont care about the roof,it is mainly for insurance purpose.If a bad storm comes they will be heading up north to drive slow and act lost.LOL j/k Don
And there house was built in the late 50's,way better built than any new style house.the trusses are on 18" centers out of 2x8 ruff cut ceader and hand built in place.you'd haft to just see it to understand over kill.but anyway it's just for looks to keep insurance company happy and a little discount.

dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »

Gotcha..... Then I would use the cabinet grade plywood, and put some decent paint on it. Costs less that way !!!!

The " Black Pearl "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com