Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 250r 2 stroke running rich-need help  (Read 4084 times)
jon tampa

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »

Hi guys,  I have an 86 250r honda that seems to have no top end.  It runs and starts easily but has no go above 1/2 throttle.  I cleaned the carb and put new 32/1 mixture but seems to be really fat.  It is basically stock with stock pipe and carb.  The main is a 150.  I have not messed with the needle but wanted to see what you guys think?  Thanks
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:01:58 PM »

Check the color of the plug. black=rich, tan=just right, white=lean

If you think it is rich, take a air box lid off and see if it runs any better. That will lean it up a little bit.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »

Check the color of the plug. black=rich, tan=just right, white=lean

If you think it is rich, take a air box lid off and see if it runs any better. That will lean it up a little bit.

HE HAS SPOKEN  Wink
jon tampa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »

thanks,   

Plug looks black.  Changed the main jet to 145 and needle is in the middle.  Adjusted the float to make sure I'm getting gas .  Have not taken off the air filter lid yet.  Oh,  has K & N which I cleaned as well.  Seems to be alittle snappier on throttle.    Could my engine seals be leaking thus making it run rich.  Don't know the history of this motor...Thanks
Hoosier Daddy
Southern Flat Track League
Supreme Member

Team WareRacing Member #07

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:53:31 AM »

If the seals were leaking it would be running super lean as its pulling in air from the outside. Put in a new plug before you jet down.

BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:02:18 AM »

You mentioned that you don't know the history of the motor.  This a recent purchase?

In your post you also mentioned that you adjusted the float to make sure you were getting gas??  The float needs to be adjusted for a specified height.  An incorrect float height will cause you problems.  A good service manual will have the setting.   There is probably somebody on here that can look it up and can post it for you.  If all else fails you can also try calling a Honda dealer and they may be able to give you the info.

When you cleaned the carb did you check the needle and seat (not the needle on the throttle slide)? If there is a ridge worn or a visible depression formed on the needle it can allow gas to constantly seep into the bowl.  If it has either of those signs you'll want to get a new one.  If it is bad, don't even mess with the rest of the carb until you get that replaced.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com