Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATV Safety Class for Kids  (Read 3234 times)
JJChomp

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »

Has anyone taken or have their kids take an atv safety class. If so, where? The reason is that in wisconsin if a child over 12 has an atv certificate he or she can ride wisconsin's trail system on any sized atv's. If they don't have one they are limited to 90cc's. My thirteen year is 5'8" and 140 lbs and our 90cc bike doesn't push him anymore. I also checked with atvsafety.org about 2 months ago about a class but they can't seem to fill one for kids. Any response will be helpful.

Thanks john
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »

We are organizing classes in the Ocala National Forest now.  We should have our first childrens class in July, then the first and third Saturday of every month.  These are ATV Safety Institute approved classes.  The State is requiring all youths under 16 to have a class by July 1, 2008.  You will register through the ATV Safety Institute, pay the $75.00 (if you do not have a certificate proving you have purchased a new atv), and we will reimburse you $25.00 after the institute pays us.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »

We are organizing classes in the Ocala National Forest now.  We should have our first childrens class in July, then the first and third Saturday of every month.  These are ATV Safety Institute approved classes.  The State is requiring all youths under 16 to have a class by July 1, 2008.  You will register through the ATV Safety Institute, pay the $75.00 (if you do not have a certificate proving you have purchased a new atv), and we will reimburse you $25.00 after the institute pays us.
So you are saying that my kids will have to pay MORE money to take a MANDATED safety course just to ride in ONF? IF this is true, it is time to sell the quads. I have put too much time & money into this to be told that I have to spend more money just to ride these damn things. My son could teach your your safety course. If my kids were there you would be preaching to the choir. I wont pay for no title proof sticker. I am an honest law abiding, tax paying citizen. If you want proof that I own my quads then ask me, I dont lie & I dont steal. I have the receipts & the titles. This is going too far now. I also wont pay for any "safety course" I am their father & that was my job when I brought them into this hobby. I am venting on this because our society of "sue happy" people & lawyers have made this happen. Someone please tell me it isnt true.
racingbroke

Girls Race too!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »

The state is requiring all kids under 16 to take safety classes?  To ride where?

Samantha #19
McGrath Race Team
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »

The State passed a law in 2006 that mandates all riders under 16 must take a state approved safety coure if they want to ride on any public land.  The ATV Safety Institue RiderCourse is the one approved course as of now.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »

Its just another way to make money off of us. When they provide places to ride like Georgia has done, I may pay it. I certify that my kids are safe & that is all that matters to me! I beleive my kids could pass that course with no issues. Just because we all buy atv's they want to sqeeze us for more money. It reminds me of the boating cummunity. Now they charge us to use PUBLIC tax funded ramps in Pinellas Co. It is all about the MONEY, nothing more & nothing less!!!!!!!!! Grind
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:24:50 PM »

So you are saying that my kids will have to pay MORE money to take a MANDATED safety course just to ride in ONF? IF this is true, it is time to sell the quads. I have put too much time & money into this to be told that I have to spend more money just to ride these damn things. My son could teach your your safety course. If my kids were there you would be preaching to the choir. I wont pay for no title proof sticker. I am an honest law abiding, tax paying citizen. If you want proof that I own my quads then ask me, I dont lie & I dont steal. I have the receipts & the titles. This is going too far now. I also wont pay for any "safety course" I am their father & that was my job when I brought them into this hobby. I am venting on this because our society of "sue happy" people & lawyers have made this happen. Someone please tell me it isnt true.
Greenmachine, I couldn't agree with you more. They want to take MORE and give us LESS.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »

I went to Sunshine and they tried to tell me they teach kids to ride.How can you teach kids to trail ride on a MX track. I don't see any law mandating organization forming a course and location for it.So, tell me how am I suppose to let my little girl take a class?
   Am I suppose to go 3 hrs north just to let someone else teach my kid how to ride? They can kiss my azz!!
   This state is really Phucked!!
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 05:10:27 PM »

Funny thing is that on their web site it says they are a "not for profit" organization. IT also says there are over 1400 licensed instructors. Then it goes on to say if you want to take a course therE "WILL BE A SMALL FEE". I guess since we have quads we dont need money so we should just fork it out to them. I have 2 kids so I will have to pay them $150, on top of that 4 croom passes= $200 & on top of that I have to get 4 title proof stickers & who knows how much they will scrizew me for those!!!!! I may have 4 quads for sale sometime soon, all like new. I just got a job offer to relocate to North Carolina and turned it down. Maybe I shouldnt have!!!!!
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »

You foolio, you should have jumped on that offer.What's the number? If you go, let me know, because my family will be moving there too as soon as we can pay down on our home and sell it!!
Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »

Funny thing is that on their web site it says they are a "not for profit" organization.

That's because if it didn't they couldn't get any grant monies , Still don't know what they're doing with any of it . They can't even update they're website / thier last board meeting was AUG 2006. unless that is if thats the only meeting they've had.

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
twodazeoff

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:25:34 AM »

I bought two new machines last year and took the safty cource from atv saftey institutes with my wife and it was the worst 5 hours of our lives. The class was held in a field in lake county, with a make shift track in the instructors back yard. I did get my 100 dollars apiece from the atv institute that was promised but it was very well earned. We have been riding for 10 years prior to this but we were offered that money and thought that for 200 dollars it would be worth it. What a mistake. There is no way that I would allow this guy to teach my children that have been riding since they were 5 years old. I don't remember the instructors name but the class was in lake county. We were the only ones to show up for the class and then he left half way through the class to help out a nieghbor and was gone for 20 minutes. Not very professional. I guess I won't be riding on public land after july of 08.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com