Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eureka Pit and area closed  (Read 30207 times)
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:51:38 PM »

As of this week, Greenways and Trails has closed the Eureka Pit area and all the trails that run under the bridge and south on Greenway property.  They have contracted with Marion County Sheriff's Office to enforce this closure.  This Weekend they will issue warnings and next weekend they wil issue ticket varing from $180 to $300. If you want to ride in this area, you need to ride on the Ocala Forest designated trails.  You can still park on FR 97 (the Pipeline) at where the trails cross andride from there.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »

you had to know that this was going to happen on the weekend a gathering was planned there... Sad
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »

well that really stinks! i loved that pit. Cry

05 kx 250f
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »

I think that this is the final straw, I'm done with the forest and all the BS. The Eureka pit was the Last place left to ride up there and take the kids where they didn't have to just follow me down a whooped out trail in my dust.  I think I'll sell my place up there now.  Cry Cry. It was fun while it lasted. 

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »

As of this week, Greenways and Trails has closed the Eureka Pit area and all the trails that run under the bridge and south on Greenway property.  They have contracted with Marion County Sheriff's Office to enforce this closure.  This Weekend they will issue warnings and next weekend they wil issue ticket varing from $180 to $300. If you want to ride in this area, you need to ride on the Ocala Forest designated trails.  You can still park on FR 97 (the Pipeline) at where the trails cross andride from there.
GrizzlyBear how long have you known that this was going to happen?

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »

Sounds like someone reported your planned ride??? Anyone know the reason behind the closure.  Angry

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »

What the fu@k else is the place good for ? Flaming

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »

They need to start collecting revenue when the permits come out / You can't collect revenue if people ride in areas the Forestry can't control.

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »

why doesn't ONFA do anything to try and stop these closures?

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »

I keep posting on the same subject, they are opening new trails, there just completely incompatible to what we want. They have no ATV users on the commitees or making the decisions, they just have an idealistic view of what they should provide, based on their experiences with horse trails and hiking. Very few people responded to the thread I started, I certainly cannot go to the forestry committees trying to show the members what we need, with only 30 or so names.  Sad
Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 10:38:24 PM »

I keep posting on the same subject, they are opening new trails, there just completely incompatible to what we want. They have no ATV users on the commitees or making the decisions, they just have an idealistic view of what they should provide, based on their experiences with horse trails and hiking. Very few people responded to the thread I started, I certainly cannot go to the forestry committees trying to show the members what we need, with only 30 or so names.  Sad

Isn't Grizzly is on the board  Dunno , I've asked many of times what the ONFA do to support us with neg results, If its not a positive post about the ONFA or trail system the ONFA will not respond.  They're not trying to make a great trail system they're slowly closing off all area's, implementing more fees to slowly make people not want to go to the forest unitl no on wants to go because of all the BS . For them it's Mission Accomplished

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »

Isn't Grizzly is on the board  Dunno , I've asked many of times what the ONFA do to support us with neg results, If its not a positive post about the ONFA or trail system the ONFA will not respond.  They're not trying to make a great trail system they're slowly closing off all area's, implementing more fees to slowly make people not want to go to the forest unitl no on wants to go because of all the BS . For them it's Mission Accomplished

No the ONFA is not the forestry service, they do not make policy decisions for the forest.

Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »

No the ONFA is not the forestry service, they do not make policy decisions for the forest.

Maybe not but they are involved a lot with trail system / Not trying to make this about the ONFA. Just want to know why was it closed so suddenly and as stated by Chillinthemost "how long have you known that this was going to happen?"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:18:07 AM by Prairie Master » Logged

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:06:07 AM »

I was doing a training session Saturday, when a Sheriff's deputy stopped by the OHV Center and told me they were going to close the Eureka Pit area.  As soon as I got home I posted this so people would know.  This pit is not in the Ocala National Forest, but is part of the old Florida Barge canal.  It is run by the State Dept of Greenways and Trails. I was as surprised as everyone that this was closed as I had heard a year ago they were thinking of their own trail system tying in to the forest.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »

Its total BULLSH!T !!!  Flaming  They go out of there way to kiss a$$ to the horse people and build them a BRAND NEW area with nice paved parking lots and restrooms out near I-75 and HWY 484 south of Ocala on the Greenway land. Then they go and totally redo the Santos Trail Head at HWY 441-301 and 80th St. with BRAND NEW paved parking lots and restrooms for the mountain bike crowd. They also built a series of asphalt trails for inline skaters  , mountain bike trails to the Marshal Swamp Trail Head and a Frisbee golf course with nice NEW PAVED PARKING LOTS AND RESTROOMS at the corner of HWY 464 and HWY 25 just south of Ocala on Greenway land that USED to be a really cool riding area in the 80s and 90s. What did the ATV community have ? We had a sand pit that was made when they where building the Cross Florida Barge Canal back in the 1940s , cost to them- $0. , that took up MAYBE 20 acres of land with trails leading into the forest. Its a place you can go and ride around with out having to just play follow the leader down a dusty , whooped out trail. If they take this away from us I think I might be done with ATVs. Sell all my bikes and go buy a jet drive jon boat and terrorize the gulf. Im so pissed right now  ..............  Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming Flaming

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
viper

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 08:19:48 AM »

No ONFA is not part of the forest service, but I believe when the ONFA started up they were going to be at the table for the trails to protect them.

Why can't you go to these people with 30 names, isn't that what you and your association is organized for?
lisa

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »

Well, now you will have the rally, and names to add to those 30 won't you? Maybe a good project for the new association, get that pit back open! Oh, and Rodman as well?

In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »

viper, lisa???  piping up now?  I thought you two were able to leap tall buildings etc?  why havent YOU stopped this from happening?  oh wait, that is right...you come along AFTER something happens and chime in. 
lisa

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »

Actually, this is just another "I told you so" renmus. I have been warning ya'll this has been coming, I just don't have a crystal ball to tell me exactly when or where; nor do I have the financial support to attend all the meetings to know exactly when and where this stuff is coming...and the new association doesn't want my input, hasn't from the start....

I have been warning everyone not to trust what these offices are telling you, and I have shown you how the Office of Greenways and Trails has Tom Hoctor advising them. He and Linda Duever are the two who are pushing The Wildlands Project here in this state. The more you ignore those warnings, the more this is going to happen.

Here is a paragraph from a report back in 2005, and Eureka pit was probably part of this report.

FGTC Meeting Summary
November 16, 2005
Jim Wood presented a report by Dr. Tom Hoctor on the reprioritization of the Florida Ecological
Greenways Network, which is a companion to the Recreational Trails Opportunity Maps.
He explained that the report includes a refinement and update of the critical linkages that have
been identified as the most important connections to protect, based on both ecological and
growth pressure criteria. Mr. Wood responded to questions from the Council.

Link: Florida Greenways and Trails Council & Florida Communities Trust
Meeting Summary November 16, 2005

If you don't know the key words that are being used in the meetings. If you don't keep an eye on the ones you know are your enemy, they will get this stuff through, and as you see, you lose!

Afraid of the challenge? With so many people on the board and members, ya'll should be able to get all these types of meeting covered, you shouldn't be caught unawares again!  Huh

In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 09:10:23 AM »

Why can't you go to these people with 30 names, isn't that what you and your association is organized for?

The association actually represents over 1,000 riders now.  Wink

What I wanted was for everyone who rides to comment on what they wanted from their riding areas and take a few thousand responses, written by individuals to them. PM me if you need further clarification of what the original post was about.

Well, now you will have the rally, and names to add to those 30 won't you? Maybe a good project for the new association, get that pit back open! Oh, and Rodman as well?

LOL.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:13:37 AM by Paul_S » Logged
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »

actually, when you look at groups like Florida Defenders of the Environment, you see who the real enemy is.  These people use the government entities like puppets.  The push is made very slickly by a large organized group of people.  I think Paul and the Association is the start of our response.  Unfortunately, they have a heck of a head start on us.
lisa

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 09:16:06 AM »

Glad to see you took my reply for what it was, a suggestion. Also glad to see you are ready to get started taking comments and suggestions from the rally....good start!

Yes they do renmus, but don't let that discourage you. They are afraid that the ATVers will rally behind a strong Association, because you have the numbers. You can get the money, you can get the support. You can sway the politicians. It will take a while, but it can be done! Has been done!

In His Hands,
Lisa
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 09:20:04 AM »

actually, when you look at groups like Florida Defenders of the Environment, you see who the real enemy is.  These people use the government entities like puppets.  The push is made very slickly by a large organized group of people.  I think Paul and the Association is the start of our response.  Unfortunately, they have a heck of a head start on us.

Thanks Remus, that is exactly what the problem is.

Nobody is representing us, so of course they just do what they think is best for the forest.

I put the post on both Fl based atv sites, trying to get people to list out what they want to see in their riding areas, the response was pitiful, I can't go to these guys, with 30 or 40 names and tell them with any seriousness that is representative of all ATV riders.  So they get to do things the way they think they should be done, not the way we would like them done.

Nobody is more pissed about this latest closure than me, but if we choose not to do anything to present any serious opposing viewpoint or some different options to them - then who is really at fault?

Hopefully if we can present a united front, we will have more say in their future plans. If not, we shall have to explore other avenues.

We are making a start though, they definately know us now and have indicated a willingness and desire to work with us. So let's see where we go.
viper

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »

The real problem with this association is that they don't what to do. You got 30 people more than enough to get this open again, or is this too much of a challenge.
viper

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »

Parrie Master - Will find out tomorrow why it got closed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com