Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Retire from Racing  (Read 13209 times)
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »

Its been a tough decision I've been going through since the series of crashes that I have been involved in lately. Especially the last SSQSA race at Dade city, were I had two serious crashes. The most serious one was Sunday wear I nose dived and pancaked myself in between the quad and the ground. My neck was nearly broken, along with a concussion and a torn shoulder. The doctor said I was lucky my neck didn't twist during the impact or I could of been in a wheel chair or a grave right now. I've never heard a series of cracks like that from my neck, it scared the $hit out of me.
So I guess I'm face with the reality of is it really worth it. I just don't know any more. My family doesn't want me to ride anymore. My fiance is scared that I might not be coming home one day. My body is taking a toll from all these crashes. I hate having to take pain killers to go to work after having a bad weekend at the races.
 I love racing and love ATVing, So that what makes my decision so hard. This has also been unfair to my fiance in which I been spending all of our money on racing. Its hard trying to keep up with all these I dollar race teams out there. This really is a rich mans sport.
 I was just wondering if anybody had some good suggestions or advice. This is a tough decision to make.
    Thanks Erik Emanuelson, (Trx#9)

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
yfz122
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »

Only you know the answer. I quit racing for about eight years and it sucked. I have been trying to race again for the past few years and lost tons of skills.   

Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away
tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:46:38 PM »

eric i have just about given up racing myself. my son likes to race so im letting him enjoy it. my body can't it handle it like it used to. but i dont think i will ever give up riding my wife enjoys it as much as i do. instead fix up a quad for your fiance and take up some fast pace woods riding there is no better way to spend time with your family. thats just my 2 cents worth.

P.S. nobody can  make up your mind for you and should'nt try.that should be your decision alone but you should not have to completely give up something you love just slow the pace down and enjoy the ride.

Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »

Ive been there. PM me Erik.

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
yfzracer88

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 12:44:10 AM »

Hi Eric,
You just put into words what alot of racers and family members of racers feel.  Believe me, I know first hand.  Chris had problems in Michigan and went to the hospital for stitches and a sprain hand.  I took him back to the doctor today because his hand is twice its normal size.  We have tried on numerous accounts to get him to stop racing.  But, on the other hand racing is what he loves to do.  So, I ask myself how can we take something away from him that he loves to do.  All racers know what can happen, we just pray that everyone stays safe.  I saw your wreck in Dade City and it scared me.  I'm glad that you're going to be ok.  I can tell you that you are a great racer and I don't worry about my son when he is racing right with you.  I know what you mean about keeping up with these racers who have endless money.  We go to the nationals and the others that Chris races with have their own mechanics and much more.  I tell him keep on wrenching if you want to race.  We are all doing the best that we can.  Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but we have enjoyed your friendship at the track.  Reba
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:02:30 AM »

Erik,
No doubt your a talented rider.  Sit down with a piece of paper and on one side write down the pro's and on the other, write down the con's. Then decide what to do.  When it is just you that you have to consider, its easy.  But, when there are others in your life that it affects, then it is a different story.  I personally have been through a large series of crashes, and I understand.  But to give up something that I love so much is way too hard for me to do.  Maybe you dont have to give it up completely, but just ride a little easier or in a different class. I dont know the answer, thats for sure.  But, it sounds like it might be about time.  I know that I myself dont have but a couple years left then I can afford to eat something other than Raman Noodles!
jt

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
WOODY_450r
Supreme Member

Lifes better when all 4 wheels are under the quad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 08:10:16 AM »

Erik your an awsome rider and has a lot of skill. You sould go ride a class that dosent beat you up so bad! And its always cool watchin you whoop the young riders!  You sould take it easy for while and ten figure out if YOU want to still race or not.

WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT !!!!!!!!

JOSH WOODS #411

05 450r
01 chevy 4x4
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:05 AM »

I also think about this same thing before every race. I'm 37 yrs. old and have 3 children. I get some pretty powerful butterflies in my stomach the day of the race, then after the start and get throught the first turn its game on and I love it.
 Consider XC racing next season, meet me at the races and I'll help you in any way I can. Here is why I love it. I did the sand drag thing, its fun but not demanding at all. Its all about who wants to spend the most money, so that wasn't really challenging. MX is fun but the risks are high to be competitive and you must build a "specialty" bike. I found XC to be my choice because the same bike that I race I can also trail ride with my kids, hill climb, MX a little, and even still bolt on some paddles and sand drag. It also is very rewarding to finish a 2 hour race, it shows who is prepared and who is not. There are some injuries at these races but not very many.
  So, no dont stop racing.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
RTN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »

I don't race yet maintain 2 bikes for my son and brother-in-law. I'm hearing you when you say it's hard to keep up due to the $$$. And yes I worry about my family/riders when they are out there racing.....it's dangerous no doubt.

I will say this though......you will never find your answer here. It's in your heart. My wife and I have sat down and discussed the dangers of the sport. My son has seen others and his uncle experience it and realizes them. I pray for my riders each time they go on or come off the track and live with what the Lord dishes out for us.

If you love something it's hard to just throw it away.

Irregardless you'll make the right decision in the end.

If I were to give only one suggestion....it would be stay out of the open $ races. The almighty $$ is a powerful thing and sometimes causes a person to push too much. Then again I realize no one races for second place no matter what the prize.

Good luck

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »

I agree with Chillin. Come out and try XC. You will love it. Plus anyone I know that it good at MX really does well in XC. Look at Bill Balance, he used to be an MX racer.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »

Erik,
    Jake's dad here,I would like to point out that you have alot to offer this sport and maybe it is not on the track or maybe it is as everyone has stated that is a choice you have to make for your self,BUT,do remember that you have been where alot of these younger riders want to be.So,maybe like some of the other riders you race with,you should find a rider you beleive in and try racing a different class and work with a younger rider and show them all you know.You might find there is a parent or 2 that would gladly pay your practice/race fees to help their son/daughter get better at the racingdue to your experience and riding ability.You helped Jake and alot of other riders get to where they are!! Just a thought!! You are one hell of a rider and i understand the money/injury/family and signifficant other factors they all play in our situations.If you can find a positive way to stay involved reduce the risk and help some other riders i think you will find the answer you are looking for hopefully-

I personally would hate to see you drop out of racing all together-you have to much to offer to this sport to do that!!!!!!!

I hope you find your answer and maybe one of the posts you have received is the answer or least they ehlp you find-GOD LUCK!!!

Toby

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
quad control

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

What ever you decide to do please don't race 30 + because if I get lapped buy you I'm gonna quit racing!  Roll Eyes Really though I saw your last wreck @ Dade it was very ugly you did extremly well by walking away. Maybe ride a little more conservitivly maybe diffrent lines ? let your competition wreck in stead of you.

Don't quit your to fast.
cubnfrank

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »

IMO, MX racing is a tuff sport, It's just a matter time when the crash is gonna happen, I've wrecked alot of times myself.  I wrecked hard a few months ago training for an XC race . I thought I chipped bones in my neck, I was under alot of pain for a few days.  I was a little worried for a few days. I kinda gave it up for a while. I've got 2 kids and a wife to take care of. It's hard to let go of your passion. It's your decision, and nobody could blame you either way you decide.

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:35:00 PM by cubnfrank » Logged

FTR #40 Retired
Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4
Honda TRX 450r
Suzuki Z400
Yamaha Banshee
Honda TRX 250
#3 LTR450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

Say its not so? Shocked Shocked I think you just had 1 of thoughs weekends were not much when't your way,but to call it quits as FAST as you are I say NO!!!! YOU give every person you race all they can handle and you don't ride as much as they do you still have IT.............JMHO. See you SUNDAY.
HillKiller
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 08:17:32 PM »

I never got heavy into mx because I enjoyed hillclimbing and harescrambles back in the 80's but then one day while looking up a huge climb I thought to myself I could really get screwed up if I don't make it. I guess that day I lost the nerve. Luckily the worst that ever happened to me on a quad was a broken leg in a harescramble. I didn't ride or race for 12 years then 3 years ago got another quad. I tried the XC thing first but don't have enough stamina. Then I tried the MX thing at DC but that's not for me anymore either. Then someone turned us on to circle track. The speed is there, actually alot more than MX, but all four stay on the ground which is more comfortable for alot of us nowadays. Maybe it's a little safer, maybe it's not, but it might be a viable alternative. Only you know whats best for you and you'll make the right decision.

www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines

Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls, It means a lot to me. Its also good to here everyones racing story's too. I regretted retiring back in 95. I seen were I could have been today, its hard to make up for 9 yrs. lost. Now racing has changed were its impossible to ride pro part time and work a full time job. Back in the day thats what most the pros had to do. I wish I could dedicate myself like I use to. I really think I could get up there again and rough it up with those guys.
I thought about running XC before and thought my back wouldn't hold up to the long 2 hour races.
I seriously thought about racing Flat Track before. I think Florida is about 5 to 10 yrs. behind the northern states. Which have many more tracks to compete on.
I thought about just running plus 30 and taking it easy, but I know I would piss of a lot of you 30+ guys Wink. I actually think that would bore me (not running with the A and pro riders).
I wish I wasn't so damn competitive sometimes. I think everyday that goes by my decision weighs closer to riding again. Also after reading all your replies makes me want to charge back into it again. So you never know maybe I'll be back. Cool
I also wish to all the Florida riders that got hurt recently a speedy recovery. I feel your pain guys.
        Thanks Erik,

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
dreth

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »

Eric, I find my fun in competing with my friends on a safe level. Just go practice on saturdays with all the fast guys at our local series which will allow you to stay in shape (and like Jakes dad said) help the younger upcoming riders become better by trying to catch you Wink You dont get hurt! They get better! You did a good deed! You satisfy your hunger and desire to do what you love! You save tons of money! Your family feels better! You will be able to walk when your 50 Wink Thats my opinion and i dont think that the 30 plus guys would get mad at you at all, if they do what does it really matter? Your over 30 aren't you? Cool GOOD LUCK Bro Grin
310R_Dude

When in doubt, GAS IT!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »

Eric, I am one of the few people who actually knows you from
"back in the day". Most of the time we see things eye to eye.

So don't hold this against me... YES, you should quit racing.

Move on in whatever manner necessary and begin to ENJOY the
rest of life with those that love and care about you.

All the best mon',
Dan

Never let fear, uncertainty OR doubt hold you back from doing what you KNOW you can do.
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 01:29:53 AM »

I would definately be one of the "Younger" riders that could use a few lessons.  If you call a few years younger- Young.  But that could be very gratifyin as well.  I know that with a little more stamina and some help, I could be very fast.  Feel free to show up and help me out any time!!!!!! Grin 
Take a deep breath brother.  You will figure it out.  Your way to important to a sport thats on the verge of becoming something greater.  For you not to be there would be a blow to the cause. 

jt

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
Scott270r

Mystic Motorsports #5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »

Hey Eric,

I might be a little late responding but I just read this thread. I think you should take some time off, if you don't have the fire and are questioning yourself, give it some time. You don't HAVE to race every event. Just let it cool off and let the fire come back, or not.

You know it would be great to have another older ex-pro to race with next year in the Vet class.... Wink (hint hint)

1998 GFTL Open Pro Champion
2006 SFTL Open Class Champion

......Thanks Derek

Mystic Motorsports - 3 Time Champions....Congratulations Derek on a great 2010 season!!!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/scott270r/Race_Mystic.jpg
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 10:12:52 PM »

Hey Eric,

I might be a little late responding but I just read this thread. I think you should take some time off, if you don't have the fire and are questioning yourself, give it some time. You don't HAVE to race every event. Just let it cool off and let the fire come back, or not.

You know it would be great to have another older ex-pro to race with next year in the Vet class.... Wink (hint hint)
Flat track? or MX?

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 10:17:07 PM »

personally, I like to stay on the ground and applaud anyone willing to jump around an MX track, but the decision can't be put into a poll or be asked of anyone else, you have to decide.

good luck,,,,just if you do decide not to race anymore,,,,,don't DARE give up the quads.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Scott270r

Mystic Motorsports #5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »

Hey Eric,

Flat track? or MX?

I'm too old to run MX bro. I can still run pretty well in Flattrack though.

Brady has just built a TT track so that might just be the change of pace you could use right now. 

1998 GFTL Open Pro Champion
2006 SFTL Open Class Champion

......Thanks Derek

Mystic Motorsports - 3 Time Champions....Congratulations Derek on a great 2010 season!!!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/scott270r/Race_Mystic.jpg
derek330
Supreme Member

Thanks to all my CREW!!! 2010 champ!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »

Flattracking is MUCH safer than motocross!! Wink Racing is NOT worth losing you life of getting hurt really bad! Mabey it's just time to hang up the motocross and start doing something a little more sane!! Cool cause them motocross guys a wild!! Shocked and get hurt alot! Undecided

2010 SDTA OPEN CLASS CHAMP!
        > Mystic Motorsports<
     The innovators not the imitators!   
     <Performance 2-stroke engines>
     3 TIME open class championship engine
      builder and tuner.
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »

I have never competed on a pro level in racing. The most I have ever raced is on a flat track a few years ago in a series we had down south in Hendry. I have always enjoyed the mx more but never raced it. I just always went out and practiced with friends (Dreth). I love the mx
I can tell you accidents will happen weather it be in a race or practice. I had my first wreck last weekend wile running an intermission show with a demo derby. Went over a jump and a guy in front of me missed a shift going over the jump and i was right behind him. In the end result I was the one picking my self up of the ground from trying to avoid hitting him in the back. This was just a show.. Huh

Rember..Its supposed to be fun but accidents will happen. Its dangerious stuff. Take a year off from the racing and go have some fun with it.

Proud to still own one of the badest quads ever built
               The Honda TRX250R
Got rid of the 4 poke and resurrected another dinosaur
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com