Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anywhere close to Dover/Plant City/Brandon?  (Read 13786 times)
Kawa

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2004, 08:35:34 AM »

Looking for a place in evenings to go ride that is like 30mins or less away.

thanx
GaryinSeffner

Dont ride it like you're still paying for it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 11:24:38 AM »

hey you can take your chances at the Dover Pits. I know of alot of people that ride out there with no problems but I do believe it's "off limits". I have never seen a sign or heard of cops herassing people so you may want to check it out. Not the best place but it's close and it's free!!

Faulkenberg has been closed up(fenced off) on both ends and there really isnt anywhere else to go unless you wanna ride at Fowler by MOSI.......thats prolly worth the trip and could be done in 30 minutes.....check back at the old posts!

titanium10k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:18:48 PM »

hey  the dover pits do have no trespassing signs and i have heARD of people getting caught out there. i live very close to there and i can here people riding on the weekends but i have not been out there in yeARS. ive noticed the last few days that the gate has been open for some reason.....i wish the county would buy that place and turn it into a place to legally ride.....
YFZ450-Tampa
Supreme Member

Pura Vida !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 06:56:20 PM »

I'm not sure what is going on, but a guy that works at Barnies told me that some body bought the area where the pit is, that's why you've seen the main gate open, acording with this guy the new owner don't care about people riding there, he knows people does it ...  Huh I've been there manyu times before this happend and never had problems, but you can't never know.

Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC
charlesfl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 10:35:39 PM »

I have been there two Sunday's in a row now.  I have seen a few people there both times, and everyone says they haven't had any probs yet.  I think the gate has been open for 2 reasons.

1.  They have been in there mowing.

2.  Someone cut the lock on the gate and was in there partying.  There were fresh campfire remains, and bottles and trash all over the ground!

I think on the weekends you are less likely to have a problem, but PLEASE everyone pick up after yourselves.  The garbage that LOSERS leave behind is what is going to ruin it for all the rest of us.
Hoosier Daddy
Southern Flat Track League
Supreme Member

Team WareRacing Member #07

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:37:32 AM »

my brother and i were out there a several weeks ago, and we ran into a fella who lives on the edge of dover pits and rides. he said that the police are on horseback quite a bit and the EPA is out there on ATV's he said what color (odd color) the ATV's are but i cant remember.. hillkiller24 would know. Anyway, he said if the EPA catches you they will impound your bike,trailer,and vehicle that got you there. something about some turtles that live out there.......

BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"
charlesfl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 04:46:42 AM »

BUT, they have to give you a written warning before they can do anything.  There are not no tresspassing signs up.  As long as you are not a butthead to whoever catches you, I imagine everything would be fine.

Kinda like when you get pulled over for something stupid like your headlights being too bright, you can get a ticket if you are a jerk to the cop, but no sane cop would do it, hard to hold up in court.
Hoosier Daddy
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 04:51:18 AM »

you might want to look again for the signs...Ive seen them for years and years.. BTW EPA doesnt have to follow the same rules as HCSO.. im not saying dont ride there.. im just saying be prepaired..

Kawa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »

Ive herd about liek 2 different dover pits.  1 off from turkey creek and mlk,and 1 off from 60 and dover road.

Anyone know if this is true?

YFZ450-Tampa
Supreme Member

Pura Vida !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 03:04:29 PM »

By 60 is where I've been, the other one I haven't heard from before. And I'm agree if any one go there or any where else get all of the left overs, this is what make the owners close this places to people

Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC
titanium10k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 04:47:24 PM »

the pits on turkey creek road used to be called the sand mines when i was in high school.....i think those are mostly fenced off now.....around here we used to call the pits in dover the shooting range....i believe it was an old range before they removed alot of sand years ago.   also i dont think anyone new has bought the place, it still shows up on the internet has being owned by the same company since 1981.....that is alot of land, they tried to turn it into  a neigborhood sometime ago.....im sure it will be one day
charlesfl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »

Wow!  A neighborhood?  Geeze!  Can you imagine how much work it would be to make that place flat enough to build an infastructure for a subdivision and a bunch of houses?  

It did used to be the old shooting range for law enforecement... until they moved it out to Lithia.  Now lots of car thieves use it as dumping grounds for stolen chassis.  It would be really great if someone could buy it and make it a legal place for everyone to ride.
Hoosier Daddy
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »

I will get with hillkiller24 and find out the facts about Dover pits's history, our family have lived here (brandon) for 4 Generations. When my dad was very young it was an old mining pit way back then. Look how big the trees are on the mounds on the outskirts of the property, they have been there a while.That was back when hwy 60 was a dirt road and you had to go to Ybor for groceries...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 03:26:00 AM by wareracing » Logged

HillKiller
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 09:32:32 AM »

Ok here is some history...my dad rode Dover in the early 70's before most of the houses along Dover Rd and the no trespassing signs and barbed wire we see now. At that time it was a closed phosphate mine and had been closed at least 20 years. As of today it belongs to Phoenix Reclamation INC, a Chicago based company that does restoration of former mined land. They have owned it sice 1981 and paid 1.4 mil for 377 acres. During the last 23 years this company first leased the land to Seaboard Coastline Railroad and then in the 80's it was leased to Waste Management. Waste Management was using the north side of Dover Pits as an oil waste dumping and storage facility and then the EPA got involved. The EPA fined Waste Management and required them to escavate tons of soil which is why during the late 80's and early 90's there were so many dump trucks going in and out off Hwy 60 and is also why the white sand pit is gone. On the south side of the tracks there really aren't any sandy pits, just trails and plenty of places to create your own hillclimbing...but at your own risk. I have ridden there several times during this year but I had access because I knew an adjoining property owner so I had a safe place to park. Yes it is posted with State of Florida issued No Trespassing signs which you will see if you drive to the end of Martin Rd where it dead ends into Dover Pits on the south side. Although I have never seen them, I have been told by a HC deputy that horseback patrols exist. I also met a guy out there who said the FWC (Florida Wildlife Commission) patrols on atv's. The deputy's give warnings if you are stopped but the FWC gives a $90 trespassing ticket and if you run and they catch you they seize your property.
As far as riding on the north side, I have seen trailers parked on Hwy 60 near Jerry smith Rd and there are trails going in but I have never riden there. I found out is known as Turkey Creek Preserve. My dad said riding there is just like riding on the south side, it is an elevated trail overlooking the old mine pits that are full of trees and growth. If all of this land sold in the last few days I haven't heard. Maybe someone else who reads the posts can provide that info and someone can contact the new owner and make it legal.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 07:44:23 PM by HillKiller » Logged

www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines

Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here
Kawa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »

Tahxn for info Grin
Scramdaddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »

I got bagged in the northside in early nov. They gave a court appearance and it cost me 185 dollars and a days pay. I rode there lots and avoided getting caught. I wouldnt advise anyone to ride there. I heard the gate has been open cause theyve been blocking entrances but thats only heresay. I wil invest in a trailer and croom passes or go to ocala. I really liked to ride ther its too bad, I would pay to ride there instead. The cops were in unmarked ford F 250 4x4 's with some aftermarket front bumpers and shiz, Black in colr. Two of those got called in after this guy on a utility atv grabbed our keys. Mighta been a sportsman kinda bike. I heard night riding is the way to go if you must.

2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  Gen3usa.com
titanium10k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 05:02:21 PM »

that is some good info....i new about the phoenix reclamation i found that on the web....it was scheduled for a rezoning i found this on  theweb                                                      Developer Proposes Subdivision In Dover
Published on September 16, 2001, Article 13 of 74 found.

HOMES PLANNED FOR OLD PHOSPHATE MINE LAND

VALRICO - A developer wants to turn 1,768 acres of reclaimed phosphate mining land on the south side of State Road 60 between Dover Road and Turkey Creek into a 1,031-home subdivision.

Waste Resources of Tampa Inc. envisions lots ranging from a half-acre to an acre surrounded by equestrian trails, open space and possibly a golf course.

"Think along the lines of FishHawk Trails," said Vincent Marchetti, Waste (The Tampa Tribune, 972 words.)  
titanium10k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 05:04:25 PM »

then this is the last thing i found

Developer Puts Off Rezoning Hearing
Published on December 29, 2001, Article 12 of 74 found.

RECLAIMED LAND EYED FOR 1,031 HOMES

DOVER - A developer has postponed until early next year a rezoning hearing that could turn 1,768 acres of reclaimed phosphate mining land on the south side of State Road 60 into a 1,031-home subdivision.

Land-use attorney Vincent Marchetti said he requested that the case be rescheduled for February while his clients decide how to proceed.

Waste Resources of Tampa Inc. wants to survey the options it has in marketing the land, (The Tampa Tribune, 507 words.)

HillKiller
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 07:54:34 PM »

Hey Scramdaddy,
 When I rode the northside back in the early 90's we used to hillclimb in the white sugar sand pits which are now leveled. Several of us were out there on a Friday night when a Blazer drove up. Two plain clothed approached us with nickle plated 38's drawn and said we were trespassing in a contaminated area. Back then I thought they were full of sh*t. They told us to leave and that was it. It seems as if it is not any different today in that if you are riding on the north side you can get yourself cornered by cops in vehicles. The south side however can't be easily accessed by a large vehicle so for those who want to ride at Dover it may be less risky riding on the south side of the tracks only.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 07:56:29 PM by HillKiller » Logged

WareRacing Engines

5 gal pails 110,112,116
Scramdaddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 04:57:51 AM »

I was told by a homeowner and atv rider from the south side that the fenced off portion of the north side, contains arcenic or maybe spelled arsenic. I also heard a guy say he saw guys in mop suits and gas masks out there taking samples. Shocked   If the cops cant find anyone on the north side will they come over to the south to get ya? Hillclimber?

Scramdaddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 05:16:24 AM »

OOPS I meant hillkiller, sorry.  I can imagine a subdivition out there. Seems like everywhere ya look they are building. All my shortcuts and evasive trails have been built over and I have to tresspass everywhere I go. Sneaking to the Pit was a gamble and I dont want to pay another 185 dollars. The cops said ther is nowhere in the county to ride, yet they want to charge us taxes to register. Sort of a contradiction. When he told me I wasnt allowed to ride, I said they shouldnt be allowed to sell them then either. Maybe my wallet is still a bit pissed. I did want to mention the cops in those f-250 4x4's had toppers on the back and they were in civilian clothes. The cop on the utility atv was also in plain clothes. So fair warning and gl

tamparider

LIVE TO RIDE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 07:35:14 PM »

ive been there a few times and never seen anyone there, i guess we have been lucky, they better have a bear in the air if they want to catch me.

" YFZ "ALL THE WAY TO THE FINISH LINE!!
Hoosier Daddy
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 01:37:20 PM »

i hear ya!

HillKiller
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 09:57:41 AM »

Scramdaddy, sorry i took so long to reply. I don't know if they will cross over to the south side if they don't see anyone on the North, I guess they would have to drive their F250 over exposed RR tracks since there isn't a crossing except on Dover Rd. I have never even seen full size vehicle tracks on the south side but I have been told the Wildlife Ofcr runs that side on an ATV...never seen that myself.

WareRacing Engines

5 gal pails 110,112,116
400exRacer77

# 71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »

ive riddin there ALOT with my buddy that lives off mullrennan road, yes it was illegall and all but we rode one night at 3 in the morning and they had helicopters out lookin for us. ive rode during the day and went to ride back to his hosue and we stopped at the gas station to get gas and a cop pulls up next to us. knowingly that is was illegal we ran but just to say if u plan on riding there, be on the lookout and if you park, park hidden because they used to ride there everyday and know it like the back of their hand, aint that right tampaboy. all i know is it is been illegal and there r cops cahsing me everytime ive been there. u gotta be good if u wanna run  Wink

2000-03 CRF450EX ..... Houser +3 LT a-arms and +1.25 swingarm, Custom Axis fully adjustable suspension front and rear, Walsh radiator, Douglas wheels, CRF450 motor, not quite done yet though......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com