Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swamp buggy owner hit with a $44,000 bill for starting brush fire with buggy  (Read 6979 times)
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »

Just to answer a few questions...

The checking camp things, is like what jack said, basically the game warden & buggy owner were friends, so they were basically out there just as a friendly ride.

Yes it was electrical problem, malfunction, it had nothing to do with a spark arrester, the buggy's electrical system actually caught on fire.  Apparently they did have a fire extinguisher or something, cause they were able to put the fire out on the buggy, but "it just spread" so dang fast.

After talking to a few more people, I really don't think that the game warden was out there on "official business", it appears they are just good friends.

I also agree w/lswjth, we all must email and make a stand.  Honestly, I really feel this all has to do w/keeping us out of there, period!  And just like Jack had said before, man the glades burn all the time.  Whenever we get our summer storms, lightning and boom, there goes another fire.  Fire is mother natures was of maintaining.  Sure, this fire was an accidental, but what are they going to do next, start giving fines to God for causing lightning....  Come on, we ain't that dumb..... still makes me Bang Head Bang Head

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 01:56:34 PM »

Saw this article a few minutes ago - (highlighted in green) no one is charging this guy because it was an accident started by A CAMP FIRE!

This poor buggy owner does not deserve this!! I have sent my email in as well hopefully we can all help this guy not have to pay $44,000.00

Anyway heres the article -

St. Petersburg, Florida -- It could be a long, hot and dangerous summer. The governor and Department of Forestry are sending out an urgent message of caution.

Wildfires have already broken out in parts of the state and the situation could get much worse in the coming weeks. Governor Charlie Crist said dry weather conditions are forecast for the foreseeable future, and the danger of additional wildfires will increase dramatically over the next 90 days. [Full Story]

The governor has also placed all aviation and other firefighting resources under the operational authority of the division of forestry while this executive order remains in effect.

One of the largest fires in the state is burning along the border of Volusia and Flagler counties. It started Tuesday and has already scorched 2,200 acres. As of yesterday it was about 40 percent contained. Three hundred and fifty homes were evacuated in Flagler County, but officials lifted that restriction yesterday. No injuries have been reported.

In Manatee County, 21 campers were forced to evacuate Lake Manatee State Park on Thursday. Firefighters say a camper accidentally sparked a 20-acre brush fire. After five hours, the fire was put out and campers were let back in.
***notice this was state park as well**

State officials are urging everyone to use extreme caution. At the first sign of thick black smoke, you are asked to call 9-1-1 or forestry officials to have someone check it out.

10 News anchors Mario Diaz and Ginger Gadsden interviewed Patrick Mahoney of the Florida Department of Forestry. To see the interview, click on “Video Interview” to the right of this story.

Heres the link...
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=54176

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »

Heres another clip if you read the above story there was a spot to click on full story. This is what it said...

Bradenton, Florida - Don Morris came prepared to campout with his wife
Linda and dog Moe.

But upon arrival to Lake Manatee State Park, “They're keeping us from checking in.”

And 21 others were forced to check out, including Bud Kinsey.

“At first I smelled some smoke [and] thought nothing of it," Kinsey explains. "Then ... here it comes, and I started jamming everything in there, trying to get my boat hooked up and got out.”

Florida Division of Forestry firefighter Mike Keegan says some campers accidentally started the fire.

SInce the governor declared a State of Emergency, it makes it easier for firefighters to evacuate people and get help from other agencies.

“Any ignition source can start a fire right now. Because of severe conditions, we're concerned about controlling fires,” says Keegan.

Park Manager Kurt Wolbert, is temporarily banning campfires, after such a close call. As for Don Morris, he'll have to toast marshmallows on another day.

“We enjoy the camp fires that's what we really look forward to, but I'm not going to start something we can't finish." Morris then adds, "Play by the rules.”

Firefighters recommend people avoid throwing cigarette butts out car windows and be careful when using barbeques. They say homeowners should also keep vegetation 30 feet from their homes.

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »

Hey lovinit - great point.  Thanks for the information, I will be sure to past that article along.  That's just bull, I mean come one the buggy driver was less at fault than that.  Go figure.....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »

When a doctor does not properly respond and treat a patient's emergency, he can be sued. Why can't we all sue the DOF, SFWMD and FWC for not being prepared to rapidly and effectively control fires on public lands? And, those fires have burned every year for decades, but, this is the first person fined for it.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »

When a doctor does not properly respond and treat a patient's emergency, he can be sued. Why can't we all sue the DOF, SFWMD and FWC for not being prepared to rapidly and effectively control fires on public lands? And, those fires have burned every year for decades, but, this is the first person fined for it.

It is DOF, SFWMD and FWC not practicing proper fire management out there. When is the last time they had a controlled burn...10 years ago..?

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com