Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xena Disc Locks - Do they help prevent stolen bikes?  (Read 2384 times)
richardnmissy

Kawi 450R

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

Hi everybody,
My hubby and I live in Miami, which unfortunately sucks for peace of mind when it comes to our bikes getting stolen. And in 2004 we lost our 03 Kawi KXF400. Someone got into the backyard and cut the Kryptonite cable and rolled it off in the middle of the night. It was never recovered, I doubt many are.

Well, my other half just replaced it, in fact I'm scared to say with what because of the previous experience. But he's ALLL excited. We had another bike in the meantime before, but it's a Vinson/4x4 & it just didn't give him that sport bike fix. And when we brought home the new sport bike we started looking into security for the bikes. Anything to help me sleep at night.

Well, we came across this disc lock by a company called Xena. We had never heard of it before and he's been around ATV's since he was small. Well, basically it secures the bike because it's a disc lock but it also it an ALARM. This is what got me. It's not super loud, but loud enough to hear inside the house. The sensor inside knows if the disc lock is moved or even if the bike is bumped into, it has shock protection too I think.

We've only had it like 3 weeks now but I pretty happy with it. There have only been 2 instances of false alarms. Once a lizard was crawling on the lock itself and I left it loose so it moved easy & another time the cover on the bike moved and it went off. It goes off for like 15 seconds and stops unless something is still bothering it, then it continues to scream.

Well, I'm not sure that it's full proof from the bad people. But it's audible, a very thick & heavy duty disc alarm, and we've got a huge thick chain and lock on the bikes. So hopefully history won't repeat itself. But if I does work good and someone reads this maybe it will save someone else's bike too. As for price I was able to find it on Ebay with shipping included for $80. I bought the stainless XN15, but it depends on your bike/disc brake which one fits.

Hopefully we'll be moving mid-state or so in a couple of years and then the area will be safer and the bikes will be even better secured.

Here's a little funny 4 u..... So, Do you think your hubby is a redneck if he says good morning to his ATV's before he says good morning to you?? hehehe
// We'll I think he's cute  Wink Missy
PLAYBOY_400

I SAY WE PLAY 5 DAYS A WEEK AND WORK 2.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »

YOUR LUCKY HE HASNT PUT AN ALARM ON IT LIKE HIS TRUCK. LMAO. HE NEEDS TO PUT SOMETHING GOOD ON THERE. HES THE ONLY ONE WITH THAT BIKE SO FAR THAT IVE HEARD OF.

2005 400EX. FULL DMC AFTERBURNER, STAGE 2 DYNO JETS, WHITE BROS REV. BOX, SPROCKETS, K&N FILTER. KEEPS UP FOR A LIL BIKE...SUCKS GAS AND HAULS A$$. IM ALSO THE PARTS GUY YOU NEED TO TALK TO FOR ALL YOUR FORKLIFT AND MACHINE NEEDS. RICKY@MRLIFT.COM
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »

Here's a little funny 4 u..... So, Do you think your hubby is a redneck if he says good morning to his ATV's before he says good morning to you?? hehehe
// We'll I think he's cute  Wink Missy

Now this is a good woman!

I like the sound of the lock. I would like it better if it had an indoor unit that yelped when it was time to run outside with the .45.

For now the 'driveway alert' thing I bought and a bunch of motion lights will have to do. Most of the people in my neighborhood know this is a house to seriously avoid for thieving.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:52:52 PM »

It's sad but true; the only thing a lock does is keep an honest man honest.  If someone wants your bike, they will get it.  A lock will slow them down but think about the experience with your KFX.  The Kryptonite is supposed to be one of the best but they beat it.  Plus, the alarm is only good if you or someone who gives a sh*t hears it.  What do you do if you're out to dinner?  It really sucks that their are people that steal but it's a fact of life.  My best suggestion is insure it, lock it and don't worry about it.  If you go with quality insurance, you will get what it is insured for with no hassle.  Shop around and look for quality coverage rather than cheapest rate.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
96cobra10101

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:59:22 PM »

I live in a nice neighborhood that has a volunteer patrol and I wouldn't dream of keeping my atv outside.  I keep that and my jetski's in my garage next to my cobra.  I avoid leaving my garage open during the day so people driving by that don't live around here can't peek in my toybox.  My gf's friend had hers ripped off by a roofer doing work across the street from her a couple years ago.  They broke in her garage and moved a bunch of crap out into the driveway and rolled it away.  Luckily they got it back because someone heard and saw them. 

07 YFZ450 with all the goodies!
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:05:16 AM »

Wow!  You keep a cobra in your garage?  How do you keep him from biting you?  I guess you probably play the flute. Cheesy

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:39:41 AM »

Wow!  You keep a cobra in your garage?  How do you keep him from biting you?  I guess you probably play the flute. Cheesy

That is a good idea. I'm gonna keep a bunch of moccasins in mine.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »

It's sad but true; the only thing a lock does is keep an honest man honest.  If someone wants your bike, they will get it.  A lock will slow them down but think about the experience with your KFX.  The Kryptonite is supposed to be one of the best but they beat it.  Plus, the alarm is only good if you or someone who gives a sh*t hears it.  What do you do if you're out to dinner?  It really sucks that their are people that steal but it's a fact of life.  My best suggestion is insure it, lock it and don't worry about it.  If you go with quality insurance, you will get what it is insured for with no hassle.  Shop around and look for quality coverage rather than cheapest rate.
Exatcly. You can put a hundered locks, alarms and whatever else but its not going to stop someone with the right stuff that wants your quad. The best thing to prevent a stolen quad is a .45 to the head or a shotgun. Otherwise just do what he said... ^

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com