Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4, lets talk!!  (Read 7494 times)
runfox

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »

Ok all, this newb needs input. Here's the deal, I started out looking at 500's. Looked at the Suzuki Vinson 500, not bad, looked at the Artic Cat 5004x4. The Ac was a stepup with IRS, 2" reciever hitch, the speed rack attachments, and all that. That AC msrp was 6699, so I was thinking I could get it for maybe 6300. Well I found this ad for a 07 Kawasaki Brute force 750 at Lake Wales for 5999.msrp on that Brute force is 7699, so I never even looked at it, but for 5999 thats like way cheep so I had to check it out. Called em and they had one left, it was a legit deal. Called a closer dealer , Seminole power sports, they matched the price, with delivery, assembly, tax,title, 7420 out the door.I figure I saved 1000.00 at least! When I asked if they could match the price the salesman told me that was like $100 profit, he was real reluctant to do it. I figure if I walked in like most boneheads, paid full msrp 7699 for the brute force, It would be 8400 easy. So I figure I paid 7420, for a 500 range quad, but got a 750 with IRS,V-2 engine, and its a Kawasaki a name brand Im comfy with.

Not to knock artic cats, I dont know enouigh about em , but the dealer told me they stay away from them , maint problems, my freind told me of problems he knows of some people he rides with in mud, water gets in auto tranny, slips, bad news, people add drain plugs to work around it., I feel comfy with a Kawasaki.

So All that done now a question. I'm a little bit scared here!! One the power and size, this things a Monster, Two the maintenance. The finance person of course tries to sell me a prepaid maint deal. So every 50 hours this thing needs maint, valve adjustment to the tune of like $400 Huh? I'm at 7420 out the door as is, then with like 1500 prepaid maint itwould be 9800!!!  When I saw that I was about to say forget the whole thing , these dang toys are way too expensive.  I didnt buy the maint plan, I figure Im a mechanic, I  will have to learn how to do the valve adjustment myself, no way I can afford 400 service every 50 hours. So do all thse 4 valve quads need valve adjustment every 50 hours to the tune of 400 Huh Do any of you do your own maint, valve adjustments? I mean how hard can it be to buy a maint manual or somthing like Chiltons for this thing and learn to do it myself?

My the Force be with you, the BRUTE FORCE that is!!
Anoriginal

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »

I've got an 06 Brute Force 750. Everyone has their own opinions on what's better, etc. To each his own. It's all in what you like. But, I love my bike and it does everything I ask of it and more. It rides great, has more than enough power and has proven its relability in some tough environments.

Regarding mantaining my bike, it's not a problem. The fluid replacement is simple as are all other maintainence items. Kawasaki sells a nice service manual on the bike that I reccomend. I've found it durable and consistantly well made. It does suck fuel compared to other bikes, but not an overburdensome amount.

So, I say buy it if you like it. I sure like mine.
Bleedsblue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »

As for the AC's and problems with getting mud/water in the belt drive that is going to happen to any ATV you buy that you take in deep mud/water without snorkeling it...even the Brute. Just about every automatic also has a drain plug on the belt housing to drain the water out in case you do flood it including Kawasaki. The one downside to the AC's is warranty work, dealers are few and far between and can be stubborn about fixing stuff under warranty.

Kawi dealers are a bit easier to find overall. All ATV's will have their good and bad points. My suggestion is you take some time and do some reading in the Kawi forum over at Highlifter and read up on the common problems and fixes before you get started on it. The valve adjustment is not really needed at 50 hours. That is strictly there so that you at least look at it but they say that about most machines and they rarely need valve adjustment.

Bill

2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »

Not to knock artic cats, I dont know enouigh about em , but the dealer told me they stay away from them , maint problems, my freind told me of problems he knows of some people he rides with in mud, water gets in auto tranny, slips, bad news, people add drain plugs to work around it., I feel comfy with a Kawasaki.

I love the power of the Kawi Vtwins but the clutching has to much maintence to my style of riding which is why I Basically turned my AC V2 into mainly a trail bike.The brute has plenty and you should have plenty of fun with it, just watch you family on it or else they will get hurt(My V2 can wheelie super easy a brute can do it even easier).

Now Maintence probs with ACs I haven't had any with all 3 of our cats and our old 300 had very few and it had a ROUGH life. Like bleedsblue said The water getting into the auto tranny.....happens to every auto out there unless it is snorkeled.

The Valve checking, get your first maintince usually like 10hours or 100 miles, and from what most have told me is you don't have to check them until you start to hear them. But checking it yourself I have seen pics of it and it looks like a pain in the @$$ ill let the dealer do that.

Check out www.kawieriders.com
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:44:58 PM by Kawa3 » Logged

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:57:43 PM »

Yeah I agree. The belt thing happens to everybody with an automatic. We have a polairs and it does the same. It sounds like you made a good deal. The brand is all a matter of oppinon and unless you find somebody that has owned more than one brand besides the one there pitching then I woudnt take it too seriously. Anyway, the valve thing is manly for the first service. They might have came from the factory slighly off. After that you should be good for awhile. I went 2,000 miles without a service on my bike. Its not something you have to do regularly. Just get the manual and change the fluids when you should then you will be fine.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
runfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »

Thank you all so much for the replies I feel a bit relieved. When that finance lady told me the maintenance was like $400 dollars every 50 hours, I about panicked!! I'm thinking what the heck am I gettting into,I thought this was a dependable machine,  I wont be able to afford to keep it!! So from what you all say get it serviced the first time from the dealer then I'm good for a while. I planned on buying the service manual. I am a mechanic and have swapped out the engine in my truck , removed the head off a chevy cavalier and did a valve job on it, so I think i can figure this out with a good service manual.

This thing has so much power I would imagine some one dumber than me could easily do a wheelie on it.

Its ironic, I had a Kawasaki 750 LTD motorcycle about 10 years ago, I thought it was fast, and now all this time later I have a Kawasaki 750 quad.I think the name is right Brute Force, this thing has way more power than needed, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Of course my wife says this is my new toy, I say tool/toy. It will help me get a lot of things done here on my property. Soon as I get done with my repairs on a rental house we have , its trail time here I come!!! I will be cutting some trails in the woods behind my land, and hitting the road for Ocala, Croom , I want to ride all of them, and meet some of you all fine folks!!

Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »

One thing I would do is get a snorkel kit http://bayousnorkels.com or you can do it yourself im sure there are plenty on www.highlifter.com that has pics and what peices you need. Then you wont ever have to worry about crossing water or hitting a water puddle and splashing water into air intake or your tranny. That and a jet kit and some decent tires and you are ready for anything!

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

xr100racer

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

One thing I would do is get a snorkel kit

and a jet kit

Dont snorkel kits decrease airflow? So you would have to go down a size on the jetting?

Sweet deal btw, dont worry about the valves untill you hear them ticking and its easy to do yourself
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 11:16:16 PM »

and a jet kit

Dont snorkel kits decrease airflow? So you would have to go down a size on the jetting?

Sweet deal btw, dont worry about the valves untill you hear them ticking and its easy to do yourself

It should increase it unless you use under 1 1/2" pipe......

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

runfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »

Kawa3 thanks for the links, and thank you all for the help, I got to meet you some time man, you have been a lot of help. I feel relived now. I mean when you are all happy with a sweet deal, you just saved about a grand on a deal,your expecting paperwork with your total of 7420, and then the lady lays a paper in front of you with numbers like 9800, suddenly my heart just sunk, Im thinking what have I gotten into?  Cant wait to meet all you guys on the trails sometime soon.

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »

and a jet kit

if you do it right it wont. it will give it more. trucks benefit from snorkels as in more power so why not a quad?
Bleedsblue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »

and a jet kit

It mainly depends on the size of the original air intake opening and the size of the tubing you are using but as a general rule they pick up power. On most engines 1.5" ID will keep the jetting pretty close to stock. Bigger engines 700+cc will use a 2" ID snorkel. If you use bigger on the mid sized engines you will most likely need to rejet. The stock air intake openings are usually very restrictive and put in places to keep some water out but are not nearly optimized for power/performance.

Bill

2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs
fdatv

750 Brute Bad MoFo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »

I have a 2005 with 125hrs. on it I have done nothing to it but change fluids and hold on!!!! Very powerful bike. If you let somebody ride it they better know what the hell there doing, or they might get hurt. Not to many bikes will beat it in the 4x4 class and it will beat alot of 2x4's I can wax my son's tricked out Warrior and I am stock Cool

Early bird gets the worm, But the second mouse get's the cheese!
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »

My buddy has one and it's sweet. But, the plugs are not conveniently located, when he fouls one or sinks it. The radiator cap is not conveniently-located, but, should not be an issue for you. And, carry a spare tranny belt so you can replace it when it snaps(unless your toy's just going to sit all purdy in your garage). I'm still on my 03 Outlander, but, soon going Honda Rincon GPScape.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
runfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:45:03 PM »

I think they sure named it right Brute force and then some, This things a mosnter. I doubt I will let any one drive it for a while, at least untill I get used to it. I can see you could easily get hurt or killed on this thing if you hit that trigger. I rode it a little at the dealer and then the sales man said let me show whay this thing can do........ he mashed the throttle and took off , I was quite impressed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com