Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of person would rent a quad  (Read 7666 times)
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »

I'm strongly considering going into business near the trail system in Ocala. One of the services I'd offer would be quad rentals. Am I crazy? Just because I really enjoy something doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a money maker. I know about maintenance and  repair and some of the risk. But I'm really wondering if there's a market for this type of service. I could see tapping into the Orlando tourist market but they are kinda far [about two hours]. I've purchased all my personal quads and have never rented one. Maybe if cousin Shmoey or uncle Re-bob visits, the average local guy might rent one for him, but  I think most of us have our own equipment though. Am I missing something? Any serious help and input would be appreciated. Thanks Dewey
Honda328i
Supreme Member

I do my own stunts

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »

I'm strongly considering going into business near the trail system in Ocala. One of the services I'd offer would be quad rentals. Am I crazy? Just because I really enjoy something doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a money maker. I know about maintenance and  repair and some of the risk. But I'm really wondering if there's a market for this type of service. I could see tapping into the Orlando tourist market but they are kinda far [about two hours]. I've purchased all my personal quads and have never rented one. Maybe if cousin Shmoey or uncle Re-bob visits, the average local guy might rent one for him, but  I think most of us have our own equipment though. Am I missing something? Any serious help and input would be appreciated. Thanks Dewey

People new to the sport might just like to try one before they buy, or you might get friends/family members of die-hard riders just wanting a limited use ride while in town.

There are also these "team building", "bonding experience" things that companies do for employees, and I have seen quad-riding as part of the experience.  Might think about catering to those peoples.

Eagle rider in Orlando rents quads, but it is $125 per day, and seems kind of steep for many people.  You might consider a more reasonable rate.  Just keep in mind the whole "liability" situation, and it might be costly to purchase insurance for the business against lawsuits.  Might give them a call or check out website.

Durhamtown plantation (Durhamtown.com) rents quads and bikes on their private property, might check them out as a successful picture of rentals.  Good luck!

Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:14 PM »

My dad was actually thinking about doing this, even though were new and dont have quads yet we know we are going to love this sport.  But we wanted to do it at Croom somehow.  Dont really know how well that would go.

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
bigscrub79
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:24 AM »

About 4 or 5 times a year there are people asking about renting Quads on here. Seeing as how most looking for that service wouldnt want to register on this site, it would probably be a profitable business. You can get your feet wet with Ocala and then talk to the few counties opening the ATV parks and see if you can get a shop near there and increase your profits.

yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 08:49:48 AM »

You may check with eagle rider since they already rent stuff. Maybe set up a branch office thru them as a Eagle rider rental. that way you may can use their insurance and stuff like that.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
GrlNextDoor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »

Insurance in Florida for this type of operation is going to be outrageous.  Florida is a sue happy state and we all have to pay the higher premiums for this.
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »

I know recently when I visited South Dakota I rented a quad and a Kawaskie Mule and had a great time we only had them for 2 hrs. and I think I paid about $150 total (don't really remember) for both.  The problem will be if your not right on the trails you will have to trailer them to the trail head and pick them up at a set time.  You might be able to make a living doing it if you were also doing something else out of your location, the guy in South Dakota ran a bar.  But I agree with the insurance issue thing because there would be some liability issues.  Good luck
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »

If you could rent the quads and offer guided tours that might be a good niche

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »

That wouldnt be too bad of an idea. I dont know how many people actually would want to rent quads. You might want to do some research on that before doing anything. Mabye have a repair shop for riders that are out of town camping or something like that? I dont know if I would open a whole business alone due to insurace costs. But its not a bad idea.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Eric5555
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »

can you even rent a quad?

http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »

can you even rent a quad?

Yep, http://www.eaglerider.com/

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »

Thanks for the input folks. It's kinda what I thought. People won't be beating the door down to rent and that it would be sporadic at best. Still considering it though.
singleshot

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »

I think it would be risky to do in Ocala due to its size and how easy it would be to steal it.  This would be much better outside of a more confined place like Croom where you can see if your rental is going out the gate on someone's trailer.  Also if it gets stuck or breaks down it would be easier to find.  With all the stuff that is stolen every year in Ocala you know that the person renting will not take the same level of care to protect a rental.

2003 Prairie 650
2003 Sportrax 250EX
2003 100 & 90 Extreme
miamigirlrider

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »

I think its a great idea, I alway have extra people going riding with me that is hitching a ride behind someone and it would be perfect for them to rent.

I think its a great idea. Parent would love it, I know I would.

Good luck if you do do it.

KB

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »

I remember when U-HAUL use to rent ATC's out.

It's a good idea BUT you'd have to rent a lot  of 'em out to pay for the insurance.

Me personally wouldn't want to be on a trail w/ someone that doesn't have the experience with them unless they were governed down all the way.
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »

Just wanted to bump this question since it's such a big undertaking. Dewey
Eric5555
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

could you even rent a quad?

http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »

Yes, I would purchase a fleet of them then rent them out throughout the year
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »

Didnt you ask this question already ??

I think the liability is gonna be your biggest hurdle to overcome, then the problem of theft.   
 But good luck with it !!!!

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »

I think the liability is gonna be your biggest hurdle to overcome, then the problem of theft.   
 But good luck with it !!!!

Have them sign a waiver they are not responsible for any injuries or fatalities on the quads.  Keep them behind a tall fence, lock & chain them to a bolt in cement and add a pitbull/doberman/rotweiller to the mix and no1 will want to steal em Wink

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »

You know what wouldnt be a bad idea is GPS tracking. Hide the little thing under the seat or somewhere where it wont get covered in water and mud. And if that doenst work then do the whole pitbull chain thing.....

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 10:46:49 PM »

My personal opinion ... You'll be better off renting waverunners the way things are going in Florida. It's a good idea but not in Florida , not yet at least.

Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 10:44:36 AM »

My personal opinion ... You'll be better off renting waverunners the way things are going in Florida. It's a good idea but not in Florida , not yet at least.

I agree with you ~ We looked into renting quads a while back and to be honest with you it is not practical.

Looking at the link that yunt posted, just the atv alone with the insurance is 171.00 per day. Then you have to have a cc that you will allow them to charge anywhere between 1000-3000 for a deposit. That is just crazy....I understand why the deposit is so high in case of theft and such. My opinion is it is just to expensive to rent a quad.

Say you go to ONF for 2 days...you rent a quad and stay at Elite Resorts (90 a night) that is roughly 522.00 just for 2 days, plus food, fuel etc.. Not to mention if you didn't have a trailer you would need to rent that too. Very expensive for a 2 day trip.

Then you have Croom who rents for a 2hr min @ 50hr (Honda Recon 250). That is not to bad, but then again 2 hours is not a long time to ride.

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 12:52:47 PM »

I know this is outside the scope of the topic but in Costa Rica this is BIG business. A guy from Port St Lucie closed his software business and took off to Costa Rica to open an ATV Tour company. It is a success. Most of his clients are Americans and Canadians.  With the money he has made he was able to purchase hundreds of acres.  Lucky Bas-turd.

Another local ATV tour company in Costa Rica got together with hotels, restaurants, travel agencies and other tours companies and created a package (all inclusive). 2 day 4 day & 8 day package from 1,200 to 2,000 dollars.

ATV tours and rental are big in Vegas !

This is my thought !  If Fidel Castro dies (which he will soon) "I hope" !  and Cuba is freed from Communisms, Cuba will be the next "VEGAS" maybe bigger and with it's beautiful natural landscape
this will be a haven for ATV riding.  There you will see me and peter drinking a cafe con leche and rolling in the bucks.   

It's a crappy Monday, nothing wrong with dreaming  Wink

Gato
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »

brother have you seen pic of this place there is open land to freeken make a sh!t load of trails we can even be known as atv godfathers of cuba.lol

2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com