Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A KID CRASHED AT CROOM  (Read 6778 times)
450rcrazy

« on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »

Me and 12 friends stayed at the croom campground this weekend we where parked right between the campground entrance and the entrance of the kids track area. Saturday afternoon a lady was watching her son ride around and witnessed a boy on a Polaris quad hit a tree at wide open throttle. She ran to our site to ask if the child belonged with us (no) . So we ran over there and someone had already removed his helmet .One girl that was with us did take some EMT courses years ago told no one to touch or move him because they wanted to pick him up. She asked the boy where her mother is ,he says I don't know. She asks where are you parked ,he says in the campground,asks him what site he responds I don't know all he could tell us was she drives a white silverado.A lot of help that was 1/3 of the trucks there are silverados. Anyway some people went looking for the parents while we asked questions about where his pain was .He said he couldn't move his neck and his shoulder was hurting bad. 911 was called and the ranger showed up in a very quick manner.The boy was wearing his helmet which judging from the damage to it saved his life.I cannot believe people send their kids with off on ATVs without supervision ,And do not make sure they know their campsite number phone numbers or anything. If it was not for the responsible mother watching her son  ride that boy could have laid there for hours undiscovered.

I hope he will be OK and that serves as a wake up call for his parents to be more responsible.
twitch
Contributing Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »

As you said, at least there was some one around.  Parents should have their kids keep a phone number in their pocket in case something happens.  Or just simply just BE THERE!!!!!

2007 Honda Rancher 400 AT
3000lb champion winch
k&n filter

myspace/captn__john
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:42:31 PM »

they need to be there. period.
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:51:57 PM »

this may be stupid... but maybe get a piece of duct tape, permanent marker and right your name on the tape, a emergency number and slap it on your helmet somewhere that your head wont have to be moved to read it.

I was thinking about doing this so if I were to ever hit a tree at croom by myself and black out, if someone found me they could call for help and have some information on it since no one carrys their wallets out there..

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:00:54 PM »

this may be stupid... but maybe get a piece of duct tape, permanent marker and right your name on the tape, a emergency number and slap it on your helmet somewhere that your head wont have to be moved to read it.

I was thinking about doing this so if I were to ever hit a tree at croom by myself and black out, if someone found me they could call for help and have some information on it since no one carrys their wallets out there..
Thats not dumb at all, I would have an index card taped to the bottom part of my helmet visor whenever I went riding with someone I didnt know too well.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:17:02 PM »

Another thing people need to know is how to act in those kind of situations. They need to know if they should move them or leave the injured rider there. We were out a few months ago at bostwick and someguy went into a corner and his bike came down on top of him. He wound up breaking his leg but they were going to put him in a pickup truck and could have hurt him even more. But my dad is a paramedic and he knew what to do in that situation. The thing is thought that there wont always be someone who took clases or a professional around to help out. Thats why people who ride at these motorcross tracks where people are flying through turns and clearing big jumps need to know what to do.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
B.MURRAy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 09:38:48 AM »

Man that sucks.  Any updates on if the kid is ok, or if he had broken anything?  I think Croom should make a rule to have atleast some form of information on you, you can take a piece of duct tape and write a number or any other info on it and stick it to your handlebars or some place on your quad.  It may get ripped off every now and then and will need to be replaced but whats more important your life or tape?
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »

Just curious, any idea how old the boy was? 

Hope he is okay, that's really sad, well at the least he was wearing a helmet. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 03:29:40 PM »

A large group of us went to Ocala this weekend on a "fast pace" ride when one of our riders hit a 10 inch tree trunk that had fallen on a trail, he flew about 6 feet in the air, his left wheel hit a standing tree bent the wheel and axel.  That God that he was wearing full gear and walked away from it all.  Just a reminder, wear your gear.

450rcrazy

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 06:06:31 PM »

I have heard no news on his current condition.He was 11 years old and his mom drove the truck not him.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 11:13:42 PM »

how fast can a lil kids atv go?
ScooterB

Trying Not to Offend Anyone and Failing

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »

how fast can a lil kids atv go?

My son (Cool rides a Polaris 90 and it goes 28-30mph  WFO
I keep it set at 75% = 20mph
And of course always wears full gear.

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »

i wouldnt think you would be too injured after hitting a tree at 30mph or less.  Huh
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »

i wouldnt think you would be too injured after hitting a tree at 30mph or less.  Huh

Try it see what happens - of course you can get hurt. You can get seriously injured at 10mph...

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »

ive wrecked goin much faster than that and never got hurt bad at all. ive never hit a tree.
RAD 450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »

Then your simply not riding fast enough!

JK haha

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L
450rcrazy

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »

The kids helmet was cracked open .Fox17 if you ever wrecked bad enough to do that you would know the pain this kid felt . I believe it was a Polaris 125 it was much bigger than a TRX90 but I dont know the polaris models very well.
k.p.
Supreme Member

6 in a row makes it go!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 05:51:06 PM »

yeah my throttle stuck in 4th gear and i wrecked...i didnt get hurt badly but it reaaaaly hurts in the mornin. so you just have to be goin fast enough...10mph or 40mph it dosnt matter,your still gunna get hurt. i met some kid w/ a 150 and that thing was pretty fast. for a 150. so i think this kid may have been going around 35mph when he crashed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com