Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everglades closed  (Read 4808 times)
gator

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »

News Release
HIGH WATER LEVEL PROMPTS CLOSURE OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA

September 20, 2006

Due to an inordinately high water level associated with recent rainfall, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has closed the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area to the public. The high water level has jeopardized wildlife, particularly deer, in the area, which includes parts of Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties

FWC Executive Director Ken Haddad signed an executive order Sept. 18, which takes effect at midnight Sept. 25 and will remain in effect until rescinded by subsequent order.

These special regulations prohibit:

taking game other than fish and alligators

use of vehicles, airboats, ATVs and other public access, except by special access permit and in Conservation Area 2 from the L-35B levee north to the east-west airboat trail

This order does not apply to:

persons permitted to participate in the statewide alligator egg collections or alligator hunts

persons operating boats (other than airboats) within the established canal systems or within 1 mile of those canals in adjacent marshes of the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA.

Persons participating in the statewide alligator egg collections or alligator hunts must maintain a minimum distance of 100 yards from any tree island and the L-5 South and L-4 South levees when operating a vessel or airboat to minimize disturbance to upland wildlife jeopardized by high water conditions.

The South Florida Water Management District will cease maintenance of the grass on the L-4, L-5 and L-6 levees to avoid jeopardizing wildlife.

To report a violation of this order, any wildlife violations, or a boating emergency, call the toll-free Wildlife Alert Hotline at (888) 404-3922

RAD 450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »

Everglades? Soo would this include holeylands?

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:48:17 PM »

This would include the south side of holylands, which was unridable anyway due to hunting season.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »

South side of Holeylands? Holeylands is on the north side of the L5 levee. Does it specifically state no ATVs or vehicles are allowed on L5? I've emailed FWC with the question asking if we still have access to Holeylands.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:14:03 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »

Yesterday, I emailed FWC with this question, "Does this closure(Everglades/Taylor WMAs) also prohibit ATVs and vehicles from accessing Holeylands WMA? Thanks". Today, FWC's response was, "No. Just Everglades and Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area as noted at this Web site:
http://myfwc.com/whatsnew/06/statewide/highwater-eglades.html".
For the record, I'd emailed FWC because others on this site expressed confusion and the information provided by that link does not specifically say we'd still have access to Holeylands! So, in order to avoid confusion, I wanted the answer in writing. Now, I have it. Yes, we can still ride Holeylands between hunting seasons and after.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 05:16:02 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »

Has anyone else detected a pattern here?  They have closed this area every year for the past 4 or 5 years around this time.  It's always near or during hunting season.  I could understand last year because we got more rain than I can ever remember and deer were actually living on the levee's.  But this year has just been an average rain year for us.  Can't they regulate the water level out there with pumps and flood gates?  Something smells fishy to me.
RAD 450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:26:21 AM »

I think ive noticed this too.

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 09:53:11 PM »

I was out there today....Ghost Town. I think there were maybe 5 other tow rigs from 2pm to 7pm.

They even put up the area closed signs. I was lucky enough to pull up when the officer was trying to catch some kids for passing it, pretty comical actually.

Well be out there tomorrow as well, there is still plenty of ground to run.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
Anoriginal

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »

Has anyone else detected a pattern here?  They have closed this area every year for the past 4 or 5 years around this time.  It's always near or during hunting season.  I could understand last year because we got more rain than I can ever remember and deer were actually living on the levee's.  But this year has just been an average rain year for us.  Can't they regulate the water level out there with pumps and flood gates?  Something smells fishy to me.

It's not a conspiracy or a pattern. The rainfall has been anything but average this year. Don't forget, those WMA's accept rainfall runoff from places miles north of them. The water is up, that's all. The FWC and Park Service has always been real good about opening things back up as quickly as possible.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »

Took a peek today. It sucks. As flooded as it gets. It'll be several weeks before it's any real fun out there.

Bigfish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »

Anyone know if it is open now?
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:49:11 PM »

Yes, it's been open for 2 months. You're responding to an old topic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com