Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW Owner of No-Fear and President or FMF, KILLS HIMSELF  (Read 5583 times)
dj_pizzim
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »

By Kristina Davis and Jennifer Davies
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS
December 9, 2006

Motocross champion,,Owner of No-Fear and President or FMF, KILLS HIMSELF

CARLSBAD – Motocross champion Marty Moates, who revolutionized the motorcycle world in 1980 by becoming the first American rider to win the United States Grand Prix at Carlsbad Raceway, died Thursday night from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.

The sudden death dealt a major blow to friends and fans of the 49-year-old legend, who was also known for co-founding
No Fear, a sportswear company in Carlsbad.

Moates' wife found him dead in his car shortly before 8 p.m. near Oriole Court and Mimosa Drive, around the corner from the couple's La Costa home, Carlsbad police said.
“We're all scratching our heads over this,” said Eric Johnson, spokesman for No Fear.

Johnson described Moates as a happy-go-lucky guy who was well-liked by everyone at the company and throughout the motocross community.

Moates changed the course of motocross history in 1980 when he became the first American to win the U.S. Grand Prix at Carlsbad, a race that had been dominated by Europeans.

The victory proved to be one of the biggest upsets in the sport's history as American riders quickly took control of the race.

In an online tribute to Moates, Johnson called him “the underdog.”

“He was the guy who rode all the junk and made the best of it,” Johnson wrote.

Moates joined with twin brothers Mark and Brian Simo, also racers, to create No Fear, which grew into an iconic clothing brand in the 1990s, with the motto “Face your fears, live your dreams.”

Moates served as the vice president of trademark security, taking the lead on dealing with counterfeiters and squaring off with former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke when he named his national organization NOFEAR. No Fear was successful in getting Duke to change the name.

In the last couple of years, Moates became president of FMF International, a motocross clothing brand that is a partnership between FMF and No Fear. The outpouring of affection was evident on the many motocross message boards, with fans and motocross riders remembering Moates as approachable and genuine.

“I'm crying as I write this and I'm sure you are, too. I considered Marty as a friend and can't believe he's gone. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I really mean that,” said one message on motonews.com.

While Moates was a known prankster who was quick to smile, Johnson acknowledged that Moates was still dealing with injuries sustained from his motocross career, as well as with stomach ulcers.

Boris Said, a close friend and a stock car racer, said Moates also underwent a third surgery on his back.

“We knew he's been in a tremendous amount of physical pain, but none of us saw anything like this as a possibility,” he said.

Moates is survived by his wife, Heather, and a son, Dakota.

Staff writer Bill Center contributed to this report.

Crazy

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:33:38 AM »

thats crazy. guess that proves money doesnt buy happiness or health. its a shame. I pray for the best for his family.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Scramdaddy

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »

Wow, I remember him from his MX days. Best wishes to his Family.

2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  Gen3usa.com
dj_pizzim
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:55:34 AM »

Its a shock but your right money doent buy happiness even with all the good stuff going with No Fear and FMF im sure his injuries caused some depression by preventing him from being able to live his life the way he used to.

Ride1Rob
Supreme Member

YFZ 450!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:02:08 AM »

My mother was going through this last year. She was living in the cold in Connecticut and it was causing her to ache all over. She told me at times she was even considering the unthinkable. I told her to pack her snit and move here with myself and my family and she did. She's been better since... Sad story to hear  Sad

If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!
JayDawg

I am a Christian! Any questions? Just ask!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »

Wow that sucks! When I lived in San Diego, I did a bunch of work near the No Fear headquarters and owned a ton of the shirts. I wonder what drove him to suicide?

05' YFZ 450
White and Red
Pulse Charger, ESR intake, X Factor pro peg nerf bars, IMS heel guards, Trailtech fat bars, Alba bumper, Noss machine inspection plugs, assorted chrome pieces with more stuff to be added soon in addition to a few other performance parts...
xr100racer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »

My buddy was wearing a No Fear T-shirt today and has an FHF pipe on his blaster. Just wanted to tell you all
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com