Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Bear Corridor  (Read 1681 times)
viper

« on: December 08, 2006, 06:50:07 AM »

Hey Dudes - I found this on the net, interesting read. They don't seem to be OHV friendly. After attending a meeting this just might close the ONF. The funny part about this the ONFA is mentioned in their by laws. Some of the members at the meeting was Rick Lint, and 2 other USFS officals, FDOT, Linda Devours (Save Scrub Jay) and wow 4 others that gosh darn I could not tell you. Yo man, this is real serious business, they seem to have all the ONF incoporated into the scenic by way. Dude I am confused about who the friends are and who are our enemies?? Real Confusing

Florida Black Bear Corridor Vision Statement

Visitors travel along SR 40 to access world-class resource-based recreational adventure and outdoor learning experience in a vibrant, scenic landscape of natural pinelands and wetlands. The corridor between Ormond Beach and Silver Springs serves as a back bone for a network of scenic roads and interpretive trails that foster an understanding and appreciation of the Greater Ocala Ecoregion and its inhabitants.  Visitors traverse a cross-section of landscapes as the corridor takes them over picturesque rivers, beside pristine springs, marshes, swamps, and sand hill, scrub, flat wood and hammock forests.

Creative leading edge environmental design and management of roads, trails, and facilities maximizes opportunities to experience the regions unique flora and fauna in its native habitat, while protecting ecological resources and maintaining local historic character. Traveler’s safety is enhanced through careful planning and engineering with respect for the corridors aesthetic values. Local communities flourish through participation in tourism development opportunities based on the corridor’s distinctive ecological and cultural resources.

By Laws -

Strategy 4.1.2: Form partnerships with the USFS, Save Our Big Scrub, the Ocala National Forest Association, and other groups and organizations that will work to assist and expedite the planning, construction and operation of the scrub interpretive center and Ocala National Forest museum.

Strategy 4.1.3: Incorporate a learning center educating the public about needs and strategies for ecologically sensitive road and trail design and management.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:43:33 AM »

2 questions;

1. who IS OHV friendly other than those who ride?

2. who are you,,,don't hide behind a new name.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
viper

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:58:34 AM »

Dude I am not from around here, I am from Southern Georgia, like this is huge. It is also happening in Georgia. Like just check out their website, and read about this. www.sr40.com. Like someone I know, like attended a meeting like the other day. If you dudes really want to check this out, there will be a public meeting in Silver Springs like January 18th from 4 - 7 pm, go to it find out for yourselfs.
Stewards

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »

This is information on the Black Bear Corridor (FYI).

I attended a meeting yesterday, a committee meeting, and yes, some of the players are Rick Lint chairperson, 2 other USFS people, Linda Devours just to name a few of the players. FDOT was represented, and I believe OGT was represented along with someone from Marion County and a few others.

The website is www.sr40.com. There is a public meeting in January 18, 2007 at Silver Springs Cypress Room, at 4:00 pm. till 7:00 pm. There will be public displays etc about what they want to do. There will also be another one on January 25th but I don't know where. They have already in South Florida brought land to preserve for the Black Bear Corridor. Which is below.

Black Bear May Gain Corridor In Pasco

By JULIA FERRANTE The Tampa Tribune

Published: Nov 24, 2006

NEW PORT RICHEY - A 210-acre parcel long sought for Florida black bear habitat has been added to Pasco County's preservation acquisition list.

County commissioners on Tuesday authorized their attorneys and Environmental Lands Acquisition and Management Program officials to order appraisals and negotiate with the owners of Aripeka Heights, which is west of U.S. 19 off Aripeka Road.

Aripeka of Pasco LLC, a partnership involving Inland Homes and LandBuilder of Tampa, purchased the property from the Berdeaux family in December after another developer secured approval for 235 houses, according to county property records. As a condition of county approval, a bear corridor was to bisect the development and the habitat was to be managed by a federal or state agency.

The developers were counting on the Southwest Florida Water Management District, which once sought to buy the property from the Berdeaux family, to manage the bear corridor, but the district was not informed and did not agree to the arrangement, district officials said. One of the partners in Aripeka of Pasco, John Buehler, subsequently nominated the land to the county preservation program.

Members of the Gulf Coast Conservancy in Aripeka, which once nominated the property for county purchase without the Berdeaux family's consent, applauded the decision. The group long has sought to incorporate the property into a bear corridor stretching from Citrus and Levy counties to the Sea Pines subdivision in Hudson.

A study conducted from 1997 to 2002 by the University of Kentucky found one female bear living in Aripeka and several males traveling through the area.

The Florida branch of Defenders of Wildlife, a nonprofit group based in St. Petersburg, also encouraged the county in a recent letter to preserve the land to protect threatened black bears.

The county's preservation selection committee evaluated the land and found it has exceptional wildlife and wetlands habitat.

Environmental Lands Program Manager Rene Wiesner Brown said the Aripeka Heights property is part of the Coastal Marshes Ecological Planning Unit and includes rare sandhill habitat and high-quality wetlands. A committee examining the land found gopher tortoise and federally listed scrub jay habitat.

Also Tuesday, the commission agreed to pursue purchase of 206 acres along Cypress Creek in Wesley Chapel within an area identified as a critical linkage. Bobcats, deer, barred owls, Florida mottled ducks, red-shoulder hawks, roseate spoonbills and sandhill cranes have been found on the property. The land is north of the planned Cypress Creek development of regional impact, which includes a mall, smaller commercial businesses and houses.

Brown said the potential preserve includes trails that could be incorporated into a county system.

"Although this is an urbanizing area, there is a lot of wildlife usage in this area," Brown said.

Commissioner Pat Mulieri, who represents Wesley Chapel, commended Brown and the preservation committee for finding a preserve in her fast-growing central Pasco district.

The board rejected a third possible acquisition of 49.8 acres - almost entirely wetlands - at Cabbage Slough, also near Cypress Creek.

The selection committee recommended against the purchase because the property already was set aside as part of the Cypress Creek DRI as a condition of the development's approval. It is not in a critical linkage.

Commissioner Ted Schrader questioned why the county would not want to take over management of the wetlands to ensure protection. The property cannot be developed because it is almost entirely wet.

Brown said committee members were concerned that if they agreed to buy the property and take over management of the wetlands for the developer, other builders would seek to have the county do the same. Managing the property is an expense, and the county program has limited funding.

The environmental lands program was created in 2004 after voters approved the Penny for Pasco, a 1-cent local-option sales tax. A portion of the tax revenue partially funds the preservation program along with road projects, new schools and fire stations.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »

Dude I am not from around here, I am from Southern Georgia, like this is huge. It is also happening in Georgia. Like just check out their website, and read about this. www.sr40.com. Like someone I know, like attended a meeting like the other day. If you dudes really want to check this out, there will be a public meeting in Silver Springs like January 18th from 4 - 7 pm, go to it find out for yourselfs.

your'e like killing me.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com