Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF, Croom, or someplace else?  (Read 3701 times)
scamutz

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:37:58 AM »

My 12yo daughter is just getting her first quad for Christmas and I was wondering where would be the best place to take her riding with regards to safety, family atmosphere etc?  I don't want to have to worry about idiot drunks flying by at 40 mph...and this is my first ATV in 15 years, so I don't have any experience with local riding.  We're just north of Tampa in Wesley Chapel, thanks for your help!

scamutz
BradG47

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 10:56:53 AM »

That is awesome news.  Hopefully she'll become a life life enthusiast like my family is.   My entire family rides and we enjoy both Croom and OFN.   First time ride?   Either place will work fine.  I supose you are wanting to find a wide open area for her to basically do big circles in?   If you go to Croom you'll need to purchase a sticker, I think they are still $50.00, maybe $45.00 and are good until June 30th, 2007.   So if money is a factor then ONF is the cheapest.  At Croom park at the Hammock Day Use area and you'll find there is a big circle that runs around the picnic area.   I took a first time rider there myself.

If you go OFN, go to Lake Delancy where you can park at the campground and pay $6.00 to park and your all set.  If you also ride too you can take her on a nice slow trail ride down Longleaf trail.   Either place you've got to be aware of other riders.   

If I were you and buying a Croom sticker is something you are going to do anyway I'd go to Croom since you can venture out on short rides and circle back to the parking area. 

Have fun!! Grin

scamutz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 01:21:44 PM »

Sounds great...thanks for the heads up.

I actually just got a Kawasaki Brute Force 650, and got her a KFX 90.  I used to ride when I was a teenager and had a couple of Three-Wheelers through the years, but this is the first time with a quad.

I've been brainwashing her for 12 years, and finally, this year it paid off.  When asked what she wanted for Christmas, my little angel said a Four-Wheeler.  This of course meant that Dad had to get one too to keep her safe.  Wooohooo!   Wink

She'll have time to practice in our yard for a week before going, and she has a go-cart now, so it's not completely foreign.  If Croom isn't too crazy, maybe we'll try that first since it's closer.  Do you buy the stickers on site...or is it something that I should take care of ahead of time?

Thanks for your help.

scamutz
4fittyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:46:16 PM »

buy at the gate  but you need a copy of ur title and 45dollars cash or credit and the stickers r green to match ur kawi's

if u can't be good be good at it
450rcrazy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:10:37 PM »

This time of year croom is pretty crowded on the weekends but if you could get out there your first time on a thursday or friday you will just about have the parking areas to yourself.If you go to one of the last to parking areas there on thurs or fri you will be able to help her practice right there.Have fun and stay safe.
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »

yeah i here there is nobdy there on week days.my son went on a monday and he said it was just him and the people from OAS riding in the whole place.

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:03:07 AM »

Glad to hear it.My little girl is four and is getting her first quad; a DRR 50.I know where I'm taking her when she gets it.Give me a call and I'll tell you and maybe we can go ride one weekend.
   Chino(727)204-0883
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:09:19 AM »

croom would probly be the best place to go if u can afford the passes(i think its down to 40$ now, depending on the ranger, some ask for the title, but most just need your vin# and the money), they have a "kids only" area back near the hammock area that is fenced off so that only lil kids are aloud in it, they also have a lil kids only track back in the campground. croom if u just get a tiny bit away from a parking area u dont see all that many people(mostly on the north side of the road that goes back to the campground)

05 450r #13B
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:39:58 AM »

My daughter is 9 and she graduated to a Grizzly 125 a few months ago. The only thing that worries me about reading this post is these little ones being hurt by another rider. Please make sure they ride within inches of you and be careful when crossing the numbered roads. People drive on those roads like it's Daytona and I don't wanna hear about anybody being hurt. I am ordering the throat mics today for our Durhamtown trip. I think I'll feel more at ease when I can talk calmly to my daughter when we are approaching a crossing or other riders are a coming. Be careful out there and by the way the Longleaf Trail at ONF seems to be a good beginner trail because in most places it's wide and you can ride next to each other so the kids don't have to eat daddy's dust. Be careful around the blind corners as well. I've almost been hit so many times by somebody flying and not thinking somebody is coming the other way. I'm posting a link to a co. I am considering buying the throat mics from. I've looked for weeks and researched a few different brands and this co. seems to be pretty good. For around $200 (less if you have the Motorola 2 ways already) you can talk without noise and yelling over a mic. Keep them kiddos safe and show them what a great sport this is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:35:27 AM by stacktester » Logged

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 11:57:43 PM »

This is why I prefer to go down South to teach her to ride.Everyone down there seems tobe more safety oriented.Plus, the trails are flat and wider.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com