Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TO RIDE OR NOT TO RIDE IN THE OCALA NATL. FOREST?  (Read 2810 times)
Quadracer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:15:41 PM »

I was figuring out what to do this weekend and thinking about the ONF and wanted your opinion about it with the hunting and all going on.I have a loud YFZ just wondering if that would disrupt the hunting too much?Thanks!

#0 06 YFZ 450 50th Ann
05 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew Cab
Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Full Out
www.myspace.com/atvrider65
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »

The forest belongs to all of us. The hunters don't own it. I do however recommend riding from like 9-3 so you're not out when the hunters are going strong. Hunting in ONF is a joke. They run dogs and chase dogs when the dogs are on a deer. Not what I call hunting but who am I? lmao.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
450rcrazy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:41:56 PM »

there is a big forest out there in witch they can hunt but limited areas where you can ride .so maybe the hunters should stay away from the riding areas.although hunters normally use atv's to get to their tree stands and stuff hmm .I would go riding with the loud exhaust they should'nt confuse you with a deer. Wacko
qt314nfla

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 08:49:42 PM »

Either way we can ride year round.  Hunters are limited to times of season when they can hunt certain critters.  In addition they pay for their licenses to hunt each critter.  They set up stands, feeders, and mind the land on a regular basis to ensure a good hunting season.  We by no means spend that much time on our riding areas.  They also have as much into hunting gear as we have into our quads.  

In the same statement that they do not own the forest.  Neither do we.  Our riding interferes w/ their hunting.  Yet their hunting does not interfere w/ our riding unless you go blazing by one of their stands while they are out there.  Y'all make it sound easy w/ the running dogs and what not.  There are alot of hunters that do not do this and spend 8 hours a day in a stand just hoping to get a shot off.  So one of us jackarses goes running by on a quad and moves these critters.

In addition, no I don't think they should shoot at riders.  However, the truth is they do.  One individual does not get that many animals in a year.  And if you are willing to get into a pissing match w/ a hunter than so be it.  Be prepared to shoot back.  Neither are the solution.  

The forest is everyone's however like I said before we get to use it year round.  They only get to use it for their sport from October - February.  Let's have some respect for their sport and fun as well.
qt314nfla

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »

there is a big forest out there in witch they can hunt but limited areas where you can ride .so maybe the hunters should stay away from the riding areas.although hunters normally use atv's to get to their tree stands and stuff hmm .I would go riding with the loud exhaust they should'nt confuse you with a deer. Wacko

They also ride very slowly and very quietly to their stands.  Alot have trucks which they camoflage w/ shrubery.  If you are being shot at it's not for confusion of being a deer.  It's for the fact that they sit quietly not making a sound for hours on end waiting for a deer to cross their path.  You are being shot at for ruining their 4 hours spent on the stand being patient.  Hog's make noise, but if you haven't been deer hunting I recommend you sit in a stand for a season.  They are very quiet and can move through the thickest of brush and never make a sound.  They can stand feeding underneath your stand and you'd never have a clue.  Deer are the prize shot, every one wants one but they aren't easy to see find or get during hunting season.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

They only get to use it for their sport from October - February.  Let's have some respect for their sport and fun as well.

Sport?

Do you consider BOWLING a sport as well?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »

lmao Uncle Rico. I wasn't saying who does or does not own the forest QT. I am merely saying we can ride too. Hopefully once the trail system is complete it will settle the debate because if I'm a hunter I wouldn't hunt in that area nor if I am on an atv am I going to ride in a known hunting area.

We can co-exist in ONF and other places. Unfortunately hunting season is during a cool time of year when it's also a nice time to ride quads. The forest system should have set up mixed areas a long time ago. I ride with my family and we value our time out there and want to enjoy the forest with everyone. We've been going there for 3 years and have many good memories. 

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
450rcrazy

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:17:55 PM »

They also ride very slowly and very quietly to their stands.  Alot have trucks which they camoflage w/ shrubery.  If you are being shot at it's not for confusion of being a deer.  It's for the fact that they sit quietly not making a sound for hours on end waiting for a deer to cross their path.  You are being shot at for ruining their 4 hours spent on the stand being patient.  Hog's make noise, but if you haven't been deer hunting I recommend you sit in a stand for a season.  They are very quiet and can move through the thickest of brush and never make a sound.  They can stand feeding underneath your stand and you'd never have a clue.  Deer are the prize shot, every one wants one but they aren't easy to see find or get during hunting season.

relax QT i was joking did you not see the confused looking smilie.Anyways I do agree I think we can all share the forest .I have seen deer many time while riding and I dont exactly have a quite exhaust I have been within 20 yards and they just stand there looking at me while I look at them and enjoy what a peacful animal they are. and I do not know how you feel but riding is also best in florida between oct-and march .I have had heat stroke before  and now am very suceptible to overheating and this is the time of year I can most enjoy my sport too.I am not looking for contraversy so dont get your feathers in a tizzy ,I just want us all ta get along and enjoy what we do what ever that may be.God bless and goodnight I'm tired this time change crap is messing me all up.cant they just change it by 1/2 hour and leave it.
qt314nfla

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 09:44:16 PM »

I agree w/ y'all in that there is plenty of room for all of us to share.  That a degnated hunting region and atv region would create a solution to this problem.  I am first an ATV rider and second a hunter.  I only got a little ruffled because I see alot of riders that are "ME ME's." Me, me, me, me, me, now what about you what do you think of me?  I see that y'all aren't that type and you aren't trying to be selfish and one sided.  But many out there don't see the perspective and rights of others to have their hobbies if it interferes w/ ours.

I'll step off my soap box for a bit now. Kiss

Rico I'd be happy to show you my sport next time.  Come on by my camp for Thanksgiving dinner.  We still need a turkey.  You could be just the turkey to fill the group. Kiss
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:46:10 PM by QT314 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com