Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pls Help..Brand New Quad Won't Stay On  (Read 10667 times)
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »

i bought a brand new quad.."BMX LG 150cc" and i put it together,well put the tires and stuff like that on got gas and i've been trying to start it but it wont stay on..when it starts it stays on for about 2 seconds then just shuts off..can anyone help a girl in need  Wink
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

i bought a brand new quad.."BMX LG 150cc" and i put it together,well put the tires and stuff like that on got gas and i've been trying to start it but it wont stay on..when it starts it stays on for about 2 seconds then just shuts off..can anyone help a girl in need  Wink
isnt that one of those chinese quads? That would be the first mistake.
Carb problems maybe? Petc@ck has the arrow to the gas?
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »

LoL umm i dont think its chinese..heres the link to it

http://www.legionglobal.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=190
trx250kid

lil kid on a yellow 250ex!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:36:57 PM »

is the gas on

2003 honda TRX250EX
-Pro circuit T4 slip on
-dynojet jet kit
-Magnum revbox
-Mudshark 20" rear tires
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »

umm yeah lol..sorry i know i sound really pathetic but this is my first quad so i know nothing about um,i ride my friends and i never knew anything about them..but the gas is already automatically on right?? LOL,i put gas in the gas tank,the instruction kit doesnt explain anything and there tech support number is closed for the weekend..
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »

Looks like a chinese brand, You really should stikc to japanese(yamaha, suzuki, etc.)
It says warranty added, I'd give them a call monday.
Under the gastank, their should be a little lever type thing, with an arror on one side, point that arrow to where it says on   Wink
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:53:35 PM »

Oh yea i turned it on...sorry didnt know what you meant at first and it looks like a chinese brand??LOL great..hopefully it will last for a little bit,like i said its my first one...so if i wreck it trying to get crazy then o well  Tongue  but one of my friends are coming over tomorrow to look at it i just hope everything goes good..thanks!!
FordForever

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:09:44 PM »

Did you get it fixed?
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »

1) Make sure you petcock is turned to on or reserve.
2) Try starting it with your choke on.
3) Make sure your idle adjustment screw is turned to the proper position.

Those are the first three simple things you can do.

When you say it stays on for a few seconds, does it bog out and go off, or only when you rev it?

When you start it, can you rev it at all?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

no didnt get if fixed yet and this is what happens..when i start it i press the gas a little bit and it bogs out,it wont rev up or anything it just dies..  ill try those three things,one of my girlfriends is trying to help me with it but we cant even find the choke LOL..i dont know if it has one..like i said i know nothing about quads but im trying to figure it out..i might need one of my guy friends to come over tomorrow to fix it because us girls cant i guess...thanks for helping guys
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 10:28:21 PM »

That model has an autochoke. You need to make sure the autochoke is on, and that the autochoke wire is connected.

Do you have the manual? That will save me a lot of typing.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »

ok i have a manuel BUT it doesnt explain anything like that in there,it doesnt show where anything is,it explains stuff about the gas tank,the brakes and stuff like that i read the whole thing it doesnt mention anything about the choke so i dont know where to look for the wire lol...if i had a manuel that explained that to me i could figure it out..sucks  Sad
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »

When you say YOU PUT IT TOGETHER, I'm gonna assume you didn't have to hook up any wires, so we'll assume that your autochoke is on for now.

1) Switch your petcock (the fuel lever thingy) to reserve.
2) Pump your thumb throttle about 5 times to get some gas in the bowl.
3) When you start it, feather the thumb throttle to see if it is getting any fuel flow.
4) You might have to do this numerous times since it's a 4 stroke, and hasn't been started since shipping.

Make sure you're on the hand break so it doesn't take off on you, seeing how it's engineered without a neutral and is fully automatic. I don't want you lunging through your garage door.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:08:08 PM by UncleRico » Logged

Jenapher27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:08:51 PM »

i didnt have to really hook up any wires except for the battery and the lights and i put the tires on..it was shipped to me in a box..ok ill try the reserve,i had it on normal but ill try that right now..
dnigels

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 01:03:57 AM »

Where do you live Jenapher?  If you are in Palm Beach County I could come over and try my hand at it!

'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext.cab
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 01:05:40 AM »

This is why I hate chinese quads.. when will people learn that you get what you pay for? We have a 50cc honda dirtbike that's never broken down, starts first kick every time.. and it hauls me and my little bro with the seriously wide-ratio 3-speed around.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »

This is why I hate chinese quads.. when will people learn that you get what you pay for? We have a 50cc honda dirtbike that's never broken down, starts first kick every time.. and it hauls me and my little bro with the seriously wide-ratio 3-speed around.

This is why I hate any Chinesse/Indian/Tiwanesse/Phillipine products that are "clones" or "knock offs". They're inferior quality, and  are difficult to get parts for. The cheap labor allows them to charge cheap prices, then they flood the market with crappy products, and go out of business 5 years down the road, and change the name of the company, and flood the market with more crappy products.

It sucks for the consumer.

eldiablo64
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »

did you check the oil They usually don't ship stuff like lawn mowers and such with oil in them I don't know about quads though

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 09:45:57 AM »

It'd still crank without oil. Good idea though. Are you getting a spark? Personally, I'd bring it back and ask for a refund. Then you can go to any brand name you've actually heard of that you know will give good service and build good reliable quads. Examples are honda, kawasaki, suzuki, polaris, yamaha.. those are the main ones I can think of. It'll cost a bit more, but you'll most likely never have problems like this.

UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 10:08:10 AM »

Since she says it's running for a few seconds, it's most likely a fuel air mixture issue with the likely culprit being a choke issue, as this particular model has the automatic plunger type choke.

Could also be restricted fuel flow via the petcock diaphragm.

Then less likely but possible, the air flow screw/idle scew.

Then the last place to check is the spark plug if it's a rich/lean condition.

But, I'd follow machine dog's advice..return that sucker, get your money back and get a better brand.

Besides, you'll get tired of a 150cc quad in a hurry.

You can find some good deals on a used quad with mods in the FOR SALE section.

Chino's quad is an unbelievable deal.  Plus you know he takes care of his, not to mention the mods.

CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »

Hey Jenapher 27 first off welcome to the site. Hopefully you will have fun riding and become a regular member. It's most likely something simple that's keeping it from staying on. You may have the brake handle in the lock position and when you start the bike and give it gas it boggs down and stalls because it's to cold to take the gas without warming up a little.If it will idle then let it do that for at least a minute before trying to give it gas. If that doesn't work then try this. Turn the gas lever "petcock"to the off position.Disconnect the fuel line from the output of the petcock. Now hold an empty can under the petcock and turn the petcock to the on position and see if it allows fuel to flow thru it. If it does then you just eliminated it being a fuel issue and if it runs for a couple seconds then it wouldn't be a spark issue. Let me know if this doesn't work and I will guide you further. Congratulations on your first quad. Don't let the negative comments spoil the excitement of your first quad. That quad will be fine for you to learn on. Sure a name brand is better but it's also more than double the price. That's a nice looking bike at a great price.I'm sure it's something simple so don't get discouraged. Good luck and congratulations.
LeBlanc Outdoors

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 08:20:54 AM »

This is why I HATE DROPSHIPPERS of Chinese or any quad!!!  If your big 4 quad came in a crate not assembled many of you would be having the same or similar problems.

1. Check the fuel lines, many times they droop where fuel can't gravity feed.
2. Check the kill switch on the handlebar, use a voltmeter and check for continuity.
3. Check the float on the carb, its the screw on the bottom, the bowl should be full of fuel.
4. Electric chokes on these bikes aren't chokes at all, they allow extra fuel @ low speed and do malfunction, check input with your voltmeter and clean with carb cleaner.
5. This one is the most important, BUY ANY QUAD from an authorized dealer that will set up the quad, test it then stand behind it with an appropriate warranty!!!   DROPSHIPPERS are in thr business for the QUICK BUCK and don't give a flip about you, only your money!

I agree there are many inferior Chinese quads out there, but also some decent ones for the money.  I'm not just saying this because I sell them, as you can see by my sig. I have several myself.  All are reliable, all start, and all give my family hours of fun and enjoyment.  The 250 we have is made by a company in joint venture with Suzuki, and Suzuki set up their assembly line process etc.    Many of the parts you have on your big 4 quad are made in China.  If you don't have good basic mechanical abilities, and the time to research the company your buying from,  SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY and Buy from a dealer that sets the bike up for you, when we set up a bike we  change the plug to an NGK, replace the rubber gas lines with quality ones, add a fuel filter, change out the shipping oil, check and tighten all bolts using loctite, charge the battery overnight using a trickle charger, then start and test the engine adjusting the carb and/or the valves if necessary.  Anyone assembling one of these ATV's should follow a similar set up.   If your budget doesn't allow for a name brand new bike consider a used one.  If you do have mechanical abilities some of the Chinese bikes are a great money saver but will require extra maintenence.    Good Luck Jenapher, feel free to PM if you still have issues.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:06:21 PM by LeBlanc's » Logged
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

Since she says it's running for a few seconds, it's most likely a fuel air mixture issue with the likely culprit being a choke issue, as this particular model has the automatic plunger type choke.

Could also be restricted fuel flow via the petcock diaphragm.

Then less likely but possible, the air flow screw/idle scew.

Then the last place to check is the spark plug if it's a rich/lean condition.

But, I'd follow machine dog's advice..return that sucker, get your money back and get a better brand.

Besides, you'll get tired of a 150cc quad in a hurry.

You can find some good deals on a used quad with mods in the FOR SALE section.

Chino's quad is an unbelievable deal.  Plus you know he takes care of his, not to mention the mods.

Heck, didn't think of that. You could buy a used good brand name quad for around the same price and as long as it's well taken care of it'll work a whole lot better.

UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »

I hope she tells us what the fix was. I'd like to know for future reference.

LeBlanc Outdoors

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 09:12:43 PM »

As you were asked before jenapher, we don't know where your at.  If you are near the Ocala/Dunnellon area, PM me, I hate the name these dropshippers give those of us who try hard to deliver a quality product from the Chinese market.  I will be happy to either get your atv running or tell you what parts are defective, at no charge to you, if you can get your bike to me. Good Luck at any rate, as you can tell many of us on the site are willing to help if needed.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com