Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fl.unpaved roads law  (Read 12219 times)
gator

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »

Florida counties opt out of law allowing ATVs on unpaved roads

the associated press
Posted October 2 2006

GAINESVILLE · A state law that opened up many unpaved roads to all-terrain vehicle enthusiasts Sunday is getting a chilly reception in several counties outside South Florida.

Commissioners in Citrus, Collier, Columbia, Hernando, Pasco and Putnam counties have passed ordinances opting out of the new state law that allows ATVs on unpaved roads with speed limits under 35 mph.

LocalLinks

Alachua and Suwannee counties are considering similar bans.

Officials cite safety, residential complaints, law enforcement problems and property damage among the reasons for sticking with a prior state law that kept ATVs on private land or public tracks and off roads and highways.

"It's a shame that we have to penalize the majority for just a few, but we felt like it was in the best interest of the community to pass on the ordinance," Columbia County Sheriff Bill Gootee said. "We felt like we had enough problems with ATVs without adding more to the dirt roads."

Hernando County authorities cited three ATV deaths in August among the reasons they decided to keep the vehicles off dirt roads. Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent didn't like the idea of 800-pound ATVs sharing the road with 5,000-pound trucks.

"Not a good match," Nugent said in August.

Hernando County resident Clarence McCandless opposed the county's restrictions. He said keeping ATVs off dirt roads does nothing to prevent accidents.

"You're penalizing all of the ATV users, safe and not safe," McCandless said.

Some rural residents applauded the continued restrictions.

"We are terrified regularly by people on ATVs who don't even live in our neighborhood," said Alachua County resident Janice Henley. "They race really fast. They don't care about the speed. They've scared my 83-year-old mother half to death."

The new law was meant to promote ATV safety, said state Rep. Greg Evers, R-Milton. He said it encourages riders to stay on rural instead of paved streets and requires adults to supervise children's ATV use.

But Putnam County Sheriff Dean Kelly said the law is "poorly written" and does not define what constitutes proper supervision.

He said officers will have a difficult time with enforcement.
Thanks to the sun-sentinel

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:27:22 PM »

that sucks. does anyone know about brevard?
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:10:30 PM »

"We are terrified regularly by people on ATVs who don't even live in our neighborhood," said Alachua County resident Janice Henley. "They race really fast. They don't care about the speed. They've scared my 83-year-old mother half to death."

I hate this quote. The thing is, only the unresponsible riders tend to do this, and most of the responsible ones that could show what real ATVers are like follow the rules and stay off the streets. There are just as many if not MANY more people driving cars and motorcycles at rediculous speeds racing and nobody thinks "Hey, cars and motorcycles just can't be safe if people do that. We need to ban these cars before more people get hurt and die." No, they only thing that about ATVs, instead they think about cars in this way: "Well, there's too many people that are responsible drivers to ban them." We were just never given the chance for the responsible riders to show up, and now we have that chance. We were riding around the acreage today and didn't even see any cops actually..

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:38:41 PM »

I thought it was kind of unfair that they let that comment out from one lady, and nothing positive from anyone else;as if they went looking for someone with something good to say about us.
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:01:46 AM »

Some guy on TV this morning said that he sees ATVs do donuts on the pavement now as it is. I'm sorry but you cannot do a donut on most of the quads I see. Thats the dumbest comment I heard but it sounds good to the commissioners.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »

Sounds like wasting a set of tires to me  Dunno   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 09:46:40 AM by WPBSMOKA » Logged

'04 400ex, frequently bent handlebars, bent bumper, torn seat, rusty chain and some abused plastics

backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »

thats stupid every hobby has idiots that participate in it  Angry

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
mmason

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »

I live in Jupiter Farms and we did not see any cops either or anyone misbehaving.  It was wonderful!
colombiano3003

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »

anyone know here in boca raton... palm beach county?
450rcrazy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »

people with jets skis get frowned upon just like atv'rs .brought my skis to the keys and many public boat launches will not let you put in becouse jet ski'ers cause trouble.I guess there is no room in this world for people like you and me that love power sports. Angry
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »

people with jets skis get frowned upon just like atv'rs .brought my skis to the keys and many public boat launches will not let you put in becouse jet ski'ers cause trouble.I guess there is no room in this world for people like you and me that love power sports. Angry

What kind of ski's do you have? I am looking to make friends with someone who has jet skis. It's much cheaper than me buying my own.

I know lots of strippers, if that helps me get to the front of the list.

Also, if anyone has a private jet, I am accepting applications for frienship with someone who has one of those.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
450rcrazy

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »

I have a 98 sea-doo spx and a polaris sl650 but I dont know about your strippers ,I've heard stories that some only have one leg and others are very hairy and have masculin bodies .But I tell ya what send me some pictures and I'll be the judge if their really hot and ready I might just give ya the ski's.
dnigels

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »

Now ther you go scaring the 83 yr. old lady some more...fornicators!

'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext.cab
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 07:13:41 PM »

I have a 98 sea-doo spx and a polaris sl650 but I dont know about your strippers ,I've heard stories that some only have one leg and others are very hairy and have masculin bodies .But I tell ya what send me some pictures and I'll be the judge if their really hot and ready I might just give ya the ski's.

Oh sorry, I'm actually looking for a friend with the new GSX.

But I'll keep you in mind if I can't find a suitable candidate.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:23:51 AM »

Palm beach county is still good it seems. I'm really enjoying the new law but have to say I see plenty of people driving long wheelies down paved roads still with loud as HECK exhausts. Anyone else been enjoying this law please comment.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
jeremy retzsch

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 07:53:35 PM »

What kind of ski's do you have? I am looking to make friends with someone who has jet skis. It's much cheaper than me buying my own.

I know lots of strippers, if that helps me get to the front of the list.

Also, if anyone has a private jet, I am accepting applications for frienship with someone who has one of those.
HAHAHA.. you make the funniest posts

1998 RM125
-Bills thunder pipe
-Boysen reeds
-Works Connection frame guards
-Carbon fiber clutch cover
-Pro Taper fatty bars
-Race Tech suspension
-Twin Air airfilter
-Fx gripper seat cover
-Steel braded brake and clutch lines
-vortex sprocket and chain
-tusk aluminum shifter
-EBC hd clutch springs
Quadracer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »

i don't live in brevard but here is the link so you can find out about your county!
http://countygovt.brevard.fl.us/commission/

#0 06 YFZ 450 50th Ann
05 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew Cab
Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Full Out
www.myspace.com/atvrider65
mmason

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »

Remember no what the law is, people will still break it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com