Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can we ride on unpaved in PBC starting today?  (Read 8643 times)
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:22:27 AM »

Does this new law go into effect today? If so is it legal to travel unpaved roads in Palm Beach county? I also heard for the commisioners to OPT OUT that there would need to be a public hearing....Any information would be helpful...

Especailly from PB Deputy.

Thank's

DirtyBlonde4x4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:24:34 AM »

yeah does it go into effect today cause i wanan go ridin now

06' Honda Foreman 500 4x4
96' Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed, White on 33 BF Goodwrench All-Terrians-The Love Of My Life-At Least I Know She Will Always Be There!
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:33:57 AM »

Is there a link for the law? This way if I get pulled over I can show it to them.... Wink

foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 01:40:31 PM »

Collier, Lee, Hillsborough,Alachua and Polk have opted out of this.
Those are the ones I know of ,there might be others.

Havent heard of PBC opting out , call sheriff's office .
I would print a copy of that bill and carry in it in a ziplock bag , just in case. Undecided
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 01:44:39 PM by foreman1 » Logged

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:25:04 PM »

Yes it is OK.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »

I would print a copy of that bill and carry in it in a ziplock bag , just in case. Undecided

I can tell you that just because you may have read it in your newspaper saying your county has opted out, does not mean that they have yet. In Levy county and Alachua county they have only asked the county attorney to draw up an ordinance to opt out and bring back to them to vote on. They still have not voted on it for sure yet. People need to call their commissioners and find out when they will be voting on the ordinance to opt out.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »

I can tell you that just because you may have read it in your newspaper saying your county has opted out, does not mean that they have yet. In Levy county and Alachua county they have only asked the county attorney to draw up an ordinance to opt out and bring back to them to vote on. They still have not voted on it for sure yet. People need to call their commissioners and find out when they will be voting on the ordinance to opt out.

Your right ,Alachua is still on till further notice. Liability is the primary factor driving these counties to opt out.
Collier had a meeting this past wedsnesday and they opted out .

Too many counties in the state , its wise to check before riding.

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
FordForever

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 08:10:04 PM »

I rode loxahatchee today and was suprised at the amount of teenagers running the roads at 50+ MPH with no helmet. This freedom will not last.
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:51:06 PM »

anyone hear about manatee county?
FORD4X4GIRL

TRX's Baby Mamma !

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:39:59 PM »

I rode loxahatchee today and was suprised at the amount of teenagers running the roads at 50+ MPH with no helmet. This freedom will not last.

A little common sense wouldn't hurt now would it ? ? ? ?

"What lies ahead and what lies behind us are only tiny matters to What Lies Within Us..."
.gif
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »

They should get ticketed & quads impounded. It will always be a few idiots who ruin it for all. Any one here if PBC will have a public hearing to OPT OUT?

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 10:29:35 PM »

I didn't want to jinx this, so I waited until Oct 1. Yes, in PBC, it is legal to ride on unpaved / dirt public roadways that are posted less than 35 mph. The ATV must be registered and the operator must have a driver's license and proof of ownership/registration. An unlicensed minor must be under the supervision of a licensed driver. Those under 16 must use a helmet/eye protection. I recommend that for everyone!!! We did receive alot of complaints today regarding reckless riding and speeding. As of 10pm, I didn't hear anything on the radio about crashes, so that's good news. Just remember, the rules of the road have to be followed...If the speeding and reckless complaints continue at the rate they did today, this won't last long. We need to get the word out so the county doesn't opt out. Below is the new law.....

316.2123  Operation of an ATV on certain roadways.--

(1)  The operation of an ATV, as defined in s. 317.0003, upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited, except that an ATV may be operated during the daytime on an unpaved roadway where the posted speed limit is less than 35 miles per hour by a licensed driver or by a minor under the supervision of a licensed driver. The operator must provide proof of ownership pursuant to chapter 317 upon request by a law enforcement officer.

(2)  A county is exempt from this section if the governing body of the county, by majority vote, following a noticed public hearing, votes to exempt the county from this section.

History.--s. 14, ch. 2006-290.

OHV TITLING LAW

317.0002  Legislative intent.--It is the intent of the Legislature that all off-highway vehicles purchased after the effective date of this act and all off-highway vehicles operated on public lands be titled and issued a certificate of title to allow for easy determination of ownership.

History.--s. 56, ch. 2002-295.

317.0003  Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:

(1)  "ATV" means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator and with no passenger.

(2)  "Dealer" means any person authorized by the Department of Revenue to buy, sell, resell, or otherwise distribute off-highway vehicles. Such person must have a valid sales tax certificate of registration issued by the Department of Revenue and a valid commercial or occupational license required by any county, municipality, or political subdivision of the state in which the person operates.

(3)  "Department" means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

(4)  "Florida resident" means a person who has had a principal place of domicile in this state for a period of more than 6 consecutive months, who has registered to vote in this state, who has made a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or who has filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.

(5)  "OHM" or "off-highway motorcycle" means any motor vehicle used off the roads or highways of this state that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and is designed to travel with not more than two wheels in contact with the ground, but excludes a tractor or a moped.

(6)  "Off-highway vehicle" means any ATV, two-rider ATV, or OHM that is used off the roads or highways of this state and that is not registered and licensed for highway use pursuant to chapter 320.

(7)  "Owner" means a person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to an off-highway vehicle, including a person entitled to the use or possession of an off-highway vehicle subject to an interest held by another person, reserved or created by agreement and securing payment of performance of an obligation, but the term excludes a lessee under a lease not intended as security.

(Cool  "Public lands" means lands within the state that are available for public use and that are owned, operated, or managed by a federal, state, county, or municipal governmental entity.

(9)  "Two-rider ATV" means any ATV that is specifically designed by the manufacturer for a single operator and one passenger.

History.--s. 57, ch. 2002-295; s. 43, ch. 2005-164

317.0018  Transfer without delivery of certificate; operation or use without certificate; failure to surrender; other violations.--Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any person who:

(1)  Purports to sell or transfer an off-highway vehicle without delivering to the purchaser or transferee of the vehicle a certificate of title to the vehicle duly assigned to the purchaser as provided in this chapter;

(2)  Operates or uses in this state an off-highway vehicle for which a certificate of title is required without the certificate having been obtained in accordance with this chapter, or upon which the certificate of title has been canceled;

(3)  Fails to surrender a certificate of title upon cancellation of the certificate by the department and notice thereof as prescribed in this chapter;

(4)  Fails to surrender the certificate of title to the department as provided in this chapter in the case of the destruction, dismantling, or change of an off-highway vehicle in such respect that it is not the off-highway vehicle described in the certificate of title; or

(5)  Violates any other provision of this chapter or a lawful rule adopted pursuant to this chapter;

shall be fined not more than $500 or imprisoned for not more than 6 months, or both, for each offense, unless otherwise specified.

History.--s. 56, ch. 2005-164.

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 10:41:05 PM »

what bout Brevard county?
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 06:46:09 AM »

I think you would have gotten more complaints until these people who complains knows that it is now legal. You probably had more atvers on the roads and when some people see them they just call (rather someone is violating the law or not) and complain. When you tell them it is now legal, they will not call as often.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
SpringHill Riderz

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 07:02:51 AM »

I saw it last night on FOX13 news, they interviewed some people @ Croom.  Hernando, Pasco, and Citrus counties are going to opt out.  I dont think they are out yet, but are heading in that direction.  Alot of people at croom said they were gonna do it anyway  Cheesy
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 07:23:17 AM »

Thats good news ATV DEP. I will print out what you wrote & keep a copy of it with my registartion in a zip lock  Wink for other deps who may not be aware. See ya out in the back roads! Thank's your imput is always appreciated!

Bushwacker 

LeBlanc Outdoors

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »

Hey, since Marion County didn't opt out, registered atv's are the same as a registered vehicle on dirt roads under 35mph.  So does this mean we can now ride on the numbered roads in ONF with the sand rails and trucks?Huh?
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »

ONF is a national forest, not the same as any public road.

Best to check with a forestry official for the rules in the forest.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »

Went riding today in acreage, didn't even see a cop all day.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
FordForever

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 09:07:21 PM »

Roger that...It figures that now that it is legal we wont see any cops. I havnt seen one yet either but I ride lox...I think im gonna take a tour of the acreage tomorrow. I ride a green kodiak with a black and silver motocross looking helmet and goggles.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:27:07 PM by FordForever » Logged
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

Were a family of Prairies 2-700 & 360 greens we will be out touring the back roads off the whoops this week hehehe!  Wink

MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »

I might head out to 59th tommorow for a little bit in the afternoon. We ride what's in my sig, I'll be the one on the Red Rancher in the middle of the pic.

SomBch

beer....its whats for dinner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »

Figures, I sell the four wheelers and the law passes! doh!!!!!!

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.
SomBch

beer....its whats for dinner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »

Just have to speed up the buggy project.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 10:29:48 PM »

Good to hear, guys PLEASE, PLEASE keep it safe.  We all represent each other.  Wear your helmets !!!

1FasterBlaster

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 11:27:36 PM »

Does this mean I can go to Daytona and ride my quad on the beach strip?Or Fernandina Bch.?
  How bout the Gandy bridge?I rode there a couple of times and got run off.I'd love to be able to ride on the beach again.
Tgal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 08:14:19 PM »

We do have an ATV that we ride around the acreage / Loxahatchee and I am glad to hear of this law. But I was wondering, is it legal to ride golf carts? I know, a little off subject, but if ATV's are legal shouldn't golf carts be? Does anyone know the law on these?
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »

I don't know if golf carts or UTVs are considered in this law. Someone with more knowledge could tell us. Deffinately had some fun yesterday, good that we didn't have to worry so much about cops. What do you ride Tgal?

kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »

We do have an ATV that we ride around the acreage / Loxahatchee and I am glad to hear of this law. But I was wondering, is it legal to ride golf carts? I know, a little off subject, but if ATV's are legal shouldn't golf carts be? Does anyone know the law on these?

HeyThere Girl friend!!! Grin
When are we riding again?  I miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We may heve take a drive out and say HEY Tongue  I'll bring the rum  Wink

MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »

omg.

There should be a group ride in the acreage. Who would be interested?

kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »

Roll Eyes

X-DreamChick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »

Group ride sounds great, count me in. Just give me the when and where.

Quod me non interficit me confirmat
FordForever

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »

Ill group ride, and my dad will too!
FORD4X4GIRL

TRX's Baby Mamma !

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 05:37:52 AM »

Ill group ride, and my dad will too!

We should set up a ride to ride out the back of 60th & out to the L 8 canal . . .

"What lies ahead and what lies behind us are only tiny matters to What Lies Within Us..."
.gif
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »

You mean 59th, the sugar sand road? I don't think the maintenance road or whatever the heck you'd call that next to 60th really counts as a dirt road. We might be out there later today, not sure though. I'd really like to go for a ride today, nice and cool out.

Eric5555
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »

did this law pass in boca raton?Huh

http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »

did this law pass in boca raton?Huh
Yes....Boca is in PB County...please make sure you READ the law Roll Eyes There is a speed limit and it's only on dirt roads.

MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »

Had an awesome time riding around yesterday. Smiley Heads up to anyone listening that this was a great idea and should be kept up.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com