Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How old are your kids who ride 4 wheelers  (Read 12696 times)
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »

I have a daughter who is 9 that rides with me. I bought her a Baja 90 last year because it was proportional to her size and a good entry level bike. She's about 4' tall and 70 pounds. She fits the bike. Here is my problem. I'm looking to get her a Yamaha 125 Grizzly because of her size and she wants to ride her bike in ONF. Her present bike is good to ride on our farm but it doesn't do too good in ONF.  Of course the dealers and manufacturers have age limits according to the CC's of the bike. Am I wrong to put her on an ATV like that or are the manufacturers and law makers wrong in the guidelines? I don't think they accounted for kids who have bigger frames. Grin I have a friend who's son rides a 250 Honda quad and he's 13. If he was to ride a 90 it might not go. He's a big boy. He's been on a 250 for 3 years by the way and no injuries or accidents as to date. I'm hoping to get a lot of feedback from other parents who have bought a bike larger than reccommended for their childs age. I want to see her have a good time but to be safe as well. What do you do if your kid is too big for say an 80 or 90? Any ideas will be helpful in making a decision. Grin

Thanks,
Donnie

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:54:10 PM »

I think a key factor in your decision making process should be your childs "skill" level.

I think that's far more important then size and age.

Since your child already rides, I would think you would have a good idea of her skill level and her abilities.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »

My 9 y.o. has been riding a Bombardier Rally(200) for 2 years. I'm moving him up to the Can-Am 250 for Xmas.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »

I forgot to mention she WILL be right with me on any ride she goes on. When she was 6 I let her ride my Rancher 350 in granny gear and the throttle set to like 3 miles an hour and of course I was almost holding the bike. She was wearing a helmet as she always does even atthat speed. I think the biggest reasons kids are getting hurt and killed on ATV's is because the lack of adult supervision. I see little 12 y/o kids riding on the side of roads like in Palatka and stuff.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »

I started my son on a Honda 90 when he was 9.  That didn't last very long.  He was too big for a 90.  When he was 10 I moved him up to a Honda 400EX.  He stayed on the 400EX until he was 15.  He is now on a Honda TRX450R and we are just waiting on him to turn 16 (in about 1.5 months) so that he can race in the FTR Motocross series and the Quad Only Series. 

The biggest issue when you have a child (or anybody, really) on a 4 wheeler, no matter what size, is to have the proper safety gear and using common sense when riding.  He NEVER rides without a helmet, goggles, chest protector, riding boot, gloves, knee braces and neck brace.  When he rides, it is always with me in ONF or on a racetrack where we supervise him. 

I think that the age/cc restrictions that the Government places on the ATVs are intrusive and violate my right as a parent to make decisions about my kid and what is best for him.  He is my child and I will determine what is best for him.

Mrs.Nightbreed
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »

My oldest is 11 on a Blaster. He was 10 when he got it. We are looking into putting him on a 300EX soon. My youngest is 5 on a 50. He was 4 when he got it. We will likely put him on a Cobra 50 when we can afford it and keep him on that until he is 8. However, we ride MX and don't trail ride. If we were trail riding I would put my smallest on a 90 sooner but the way the classes work for racing he is better to wait a while.
NPRVinson

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »

I bought my daughter a 250 Ozark for her 11 th birthday and she never rode a quad prior. I set the throttle screw and didn't even tell her it had gears, and I rode on the back for a while coaching her. After a while I gave her a little more throttle and taught her to shift gears. It took patience and I never pushed her to go faster, I let her get comfortable on the quad and as she gained confidence she gained speed. She has never had an accident and is a very safe rider. SHE NEVER RIDES WITHOUT AN ADULT WITH HER. I think that is key. She is turning 13 in a few days and I'm glad I didn't get her a smaller quad now as it would be time for an upgrade. In my opinion she will do fine with a bigger quad just don't slack on the supervision, I believe that is more important than any manufacturer or government guidelines because you know what your child is capable of, they don't.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

o just go get a 450R. they arent too big. great bikes too.
Ex Racer

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »

My daughter is only 6 months old, so I have a while until it is her time! But this thread reminds me of when I was introduced to the ATV world in 1985 when I recieved a brand new honda 250sx for my 12th birthday. That was a full size bike for the time!! By the time I was 14, I was on a 250x (one of the first grey ones) with mods, etc. I was taught to NEVER EVER ride without at least helmet, goggles, and boots and still adhere to these rules to this day. My point is that there was nothing at all wrong with it when we were kids (as long as the rules are followed) So I don't see what should be wrong with it now. Skill level, and Physical size should be the factors, in my humble opinion.

2006 LTR, CB, deleted air box lid, baffle........
tat2mike
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »

my son is 5 and has a lt80 its a good bike for him to grow into

Formally tecatemike
fire20

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 09:49:05 PM »

2 5y\o 1 9y\o  1 11y\o 1 13y\o  1 15y\o all do fine  under close adult supervision

Dave
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »

my brother is 9 months old and already has a xr50. it is bad too. big bars and full exhaust and all sorts of stuff.
PLEDGER#76

1971 Honda CB350, Honda TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »

My daughter is 15 and rides a 300ex and a rm125 dirtbike,,, my son is ten and rides a polaris 90 and a kx65 dirtbike...

1971 Honda CB350 and its mint
Honda TRX450R
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 09:23:42 AM »

my grandson just turned 2 he has apower wheels raptor.he loves it and he is not allowed on it without his helmet just to get him in the habit of always wearing a helmet.so when he gets a little older and can get a mini quad he will know he has to wear his helmet.

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 04:30:57 PM »

My son is 13 and he rides a YFZ450, but he never ride without me being with him. When my daughter turned 3 I bought her the powerwheels Kawiaski orange one. Now I just bought her a Dinli 50 two stroke she is not used to it yet but she is only 3 1/2 y/o.

rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »

im 16 and have a 450r i had it when i was 15 and i had a rancher when i was 14 and had a bunch of  other bikes

i always where a lid when im  on my 450r

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »

Pffft, all this talk abotu young kids on quads.
Man, when I was three I had my own chevy!
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »

Missing teeth and a muddy Chevy... You must be from Ocala.
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »

Hialeah Roll Eyes
qt314nfla

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 08:18:08 PM »

No dude he's a beaner.  That's the slums of mehico in the back ground.   Shocked  Grin
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 08:43:54 PM »

Nah, he's as redneck as they come....notice the gallon jug of high grade moonshine in the cab.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 08:51:12 PM »

i was 11 when i started on a 250 yamaha 4x4. when iwas 12 almost 13 i got my rancher. now im 7 weeks shy of 15. i personally think that the 125 will be fine, friend of mines little brother got one ( not sure how old, under 9 or 8 i think) he rode it fine, i think there was a throtle limiter on it. and I feel that the govt. restrictions are wrong. legally im supposed to be driving a 125, yeah right, I'm 6' tall, think I'll fit that? I wouldnt worry about the restriction if your going to be with her the whole time and she wears a helmet, and she has prevous experience.

99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
aftrmath99

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

definitely bullsh*t!!  as parents we know our kids limitations! i have an 11 year old and he has been riding since i addopted him 5 years ago. he started on a yz 60 and then went to a yamaha 80 and now can ride any bike he can touch the ground on. with proper training a kid can safely ride anything that moves. i taught him that just because there is more throttle dosnt mean you have to go full blast.he has ridden all types of bikes and 4 wheelers from a honda 50 to a yamaha 350 warrior. he rides only with a helmet and only with supervision. my problem is sometimes he is to careful and i have to wait for him to catch up. what ever happened to go out  have fun and break some bones? getting hurt teaches respect. thats how i learned. i dont let my kid go crazy but i do encourage the balls to the walls attitude. and yes  i only let him ride when im right there riding with him
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »

My 13 year old ONLY rides with a Helmet now that she has her own bike...she has a 400 Kodiak 4x4 and the Throttle screw is a great tool to keep them safe. She never rides with out supervision. Get the bike and ride it and find what speed you think is unsafe for her and turn the throttle screw to just below that.

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
Mulchman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »

My 7 y/o daughter rides a 50 BMX ( I know a piece of s**t) but a good starter. My 13 y/o rides a 90 Adley, been riding it for 3 years now. And if not to many know, a 90 Adley is a 2-stroke rocket. Next year I am getting her a 125 Grizzly also. Then the 7 y/o gets the Adley.

The good life is just an ATV ride away !!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com