Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Letter to Eva Armstrong Re: Babcock Ranch  (Read 2545 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:31:07 PM »

To Whom It May Concern:

I just finished reading an article in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel regarding the purchase of the Babcock Ranch.  In the article, the Honorable Eva Armstrong, Director of the Division of State Lands, was quoted as saying "the land would be people-friendly too, with ``every type of recreation you could possibly want,'' and urged Floridians to visit it."  It pleases me that Ms. Armstrong has taken such a stand, recognizing that this purchase was made by and for the people of the State of Florida.  As one of the citizens of this great state, I would like to address a subject that has been very difficult for many people.  That subject is public land set aside for OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) Use.  The State of Florida Legislature developed a plan in 2002 to set aside monies and state land for OHV use.  The first of these promised facilities was located within Tate's Hell State Forest, near Tallahassee.  I propose, that with 70,000 acres at the state's disposal, that at least 2,500 to 3,500 acres of the Babcock Ranch be set aside for OHV use.  This would be roughly the same size as the Croom Motorcycle area in the Withlacoochee State Forest and is desperately needed by South Florida sportsmen who must drive 200-300 miles each way to utilize facilities provided at Croom or Ocala National Forest and as much as 500 miles, each way, to utilize Tate's Hell.  As you are surely aware, development and conservationalism in South Florida, on both coasts, has virtually eliminated nearly all the areas that were historically used by OHV enthusiasts (e.g. Badluck Prairie in Collier County is one of many areas that come to mind).  I am very interested in what the Division of State Lands intends to allow within this newly acquired area.  For over 100 years, much of this land has been a working cattle ranch so the presence of OHVs would not be anything new; the ranchers have travelled the land in trucks, tractors and ATVs for years, tracking and maintaining the land and herd.  I hope you consider my request and look forward to your response.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
sbripple

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:29:04 AM »

Well written.Any response yet?
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:20:21 AM »

I have to give you a big Thumbs up for writing such a letter, we need more people like yourself to come together and be a force for change. I have to tell you though, that this state is probably the most ANTI-ATV state in the union. When the state bought the land with our money, they made the seller put in a NO ATV/ORV clause in the contract.So  just that you know, the stste wipes their hands clean by saying that there's a contractual stipulation, but they dont tell you that they REQUIRED IT....

Trust me, once you start dealing with these people, you will understand what the word SPIN means....
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  After reading the conditions of the sale from the Babcock family to the developer and then the developer to the state, I realized it would be nearly impossible to get any portion of that land for OHV use.  It's very disappointing that the state would make such a purchase with that type of deed restriction in place and exclude a large portion of the recreational public.  I would really like to know where our funds for OHV-areas are going.  If Tate's Hell is any indication, this fee-based legislation is, as you put it, pure spin (the only thing the state did at Tate's Hell is designate existing forest roads for OHV use; as I understand it, there are no truly offroad use areas anywhere within Tate's Hell).  The least I would have expected was a conciliatory email informing me of the deed restrictions negating the possibilty of any type of OHV use within those lands.  While disappointing, we will just have to keep our eyes and ears open so that we can get an earlier opportunity to voice our opinions in any future land acquisitions.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:44:50 AM »

sweet. hope they listen.
SWFRider

Nothing to see here , Move along !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »

I was wondering why the state wouldnt put asside less than 5% of the land in Babcock for OHV park. As I said in other posts all the legal riding areas are in the North part of the state. Good job on the letter. I am not holding my breath though. I aggree that a croom size park is needed in the south of florida. It only makes sense. You would think the local south florida law enforcement would get involved to help get this done also.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:13:12 PM by SWFRider » Logged

http://home.earthlink.net/~chstevens04/quads/my06raptor.jpg
06 Yamaha Rator 700 - AC Nerfs and Bumper , GYTR Air Filter Complete,Yoshi RS 7 Pipe,Dobeck TFI
05 Yamaha 350 Raptor K&N Filters , HMF Slip-on, Edelbrock Carb, GYTR Air Filter Complete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com