Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter to Division of State Lands Re: Babcock Ranch  (Read 2442 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »

To Whom It May Concern:

I just finished reading an article in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel regarding the purchase of the Babcock Ranch.  In the article, the Honorable Eva Armstrong, Director of the Division of State Lands, was quoted as saying "the land would be people-friendly too, with ``every type of recreation you could possibly want,'' and urged Floridians to visit it."  It pleases me that Ms. Armstrong has taken such a stand, recognizing that this purchase was made by and for the people of the State of Florida.  As one of the citizens of this great state, I would like to address a subject that has been very difficult for many people.  That subject is public land set aside for OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) Use.  The State of Florida Legislature developed a plan in 2002 to set aside monies and state land for OHV use.  The first of these promised facilities was located within Tate's Hell State Forest, near Tallahassee.  I propose, that with 70,000 acres at the state's disposal, that at least 2,500 to 3,500 acres of the Babcock Ranch be set aside for OHV use.  This would be roughly the same size as the Croom Motorcycle area in the Withlacoochee State Forest and is desperately needed by South Florida sportsmen who must drive 200-300 miles each way to utilize facilities provided at Croom or Ocala National Forest and as much as 500 miles, each way, to utilize Tate's Hell.  As you are surely aware, development and conservationalism in South Florida, on both coasts, has virtually eliminated nearly all the areas that were historically used by OHV enthusiasts (e.g. Badluck Prairie in Collier County is one of many areas that come to mind).  I am very interested in what the Division of State Lands intends to allow within this newly acquired area.  For over 100 years, much of this land has been a working cattle ranch so the presence of OHVs would not be anything new; the ranchers have travelled the land in trucks, tractors and ATVs for years, tracking and maintaining the land and herd.  I hope you consider my request and look forward to your response.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »

Nice work digginfool.  It's great to see members of this site take a stand.   We need more people like you.  We're getting there. 

Thanks

Dennis

AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:18:10 PM »

Great job!!! lets hope it all goes through.

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
logger

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:38:18 AM »

I read something entirly different in yesterdays star banner - According to the star banner it sounded like some of it was going to be developed, and the rest kept as like a wildlife preserve.
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »

The total size of the Babcock Ranch was 90,000 acres.  It was sold last year to a developer who, in turn, sold it to the state.  His reward for his action is that he gets to keep 19,000 acres to develop as a 'Green City' (i.e. ecologically friendly).  The balance of the land, the 70,000 acres, is now owned by the State of Florida.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 08:43:14 AM »

And I understand it was bought with a stipulation that no OHV use is permitted on this property. Here is link to talk about it on this site.

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,8337.0.html
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:17:52 AM »

Get letter, at any rate our voices are being heard.  I read the above thread mentioned, was it ever clearly proven that part of the sales agreement "no OHV use is permitted", and if so you have to wonder was it really the previous landowners provision or something that was suggested to the landowner.  Cause it would be hard to beat if that was part of the stipulation of the sale. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
rednipj

Just Hanging Around

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,16420.0/topicseen.html
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »

Sucks that we can't get a piece of this pie.  Even if they were to give a couple thousand acres, it would still be less than 10% of the entire land acquisition, I don't see that as being unreasonable.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com