Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CBS: ATVs: Too Dangerous For Kids  (Read 5826 times)
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:40:12 AM »

Cry   Cry

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/11/earlyshow/living/ConsumerWatch/main666185.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/14/eveningnews/consumer/main617621.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/13/eveningnews/consumer/main617362.shtml
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:37:59 PM by kawgirl » Logged

jackinthebox23

Life is good.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:44:51 AM »

maybe we should all start raising h*ll about how dangerous those little two wheel motorized scooters are to kids.  Those things probably kill or injure more kids than quads do.  Why aren't they taking the heat off of us?  Let's create a diversion from us and maybe we'll all get our land back.  Wink

in that first story, it wasn't the quad the broke that kids leg...it was a car who broadsided him.  He was crossing the road.  As if kids don't cross the road on bicycles. Are we going to take bikes away from kids too?  When are parents and parental guardians going to start receiving some of the blame for their kids actions?  OKay, getting too mad.  better go Huh

2005 Polaris Sportsman 400
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 11:55:36 AM »

Are we going to take bikes away from kids too? ?

and scooters, being able to go out, halloween, christmas, toys that arent 100% safe etc etc...

I feel bad for anyone just being born becuase by the time there older we are going to be so policlty correct and sh*t the drinking age will be 36 drivers licesne will be 25

and hillary clinton will be in office Angry
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

Just a good ole' boy never meanin no harm.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 12:23:56 PM »

God that makes me STEAMED! Only watched the first two soo far and the first one wasnt the atv's fault. And the second wasnt the ATV's fault. I mean come on. Kids walk, ride bicycles, scooters, gopeds. You naem it across roads. Why dont we ban all of them too!? But i mean i cant even put it into words how i feel.

2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft
innocent_bystander

Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ Blue Bug Lights

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:37:48 PM »

This is what annoys me. In the article it reads:

Part of the problem? Kids are riding ATVs that are too big for them. There are smaller machines made for children, but many parents simply buy one full-size model for the whole family to use.

"They are not toys. These are vehicles," Dr. Upperman says, "If we put children behind the wheel of a car, and said, 'Why don't you go down to the corner store?', we'd expect them to have injuries. Children should not be able to jump on one of these things and drive down the road."

Safety experts say what's needed is mandatory training for young riders.

According to the ATV Safety Institute, more than 90 percent of child injuries are caused by improper driver behavior.

Sheryl Van Der Leun of the ATV Safety Insitute says, "They're riding without the right protective gear like a helmet. They're riding without supervision. Parents should always supervise their children. They should never ride on public roads. They should never carry a passenger."

So what the experts are saying is that kids should be supervised by parents, wear protective gear, and have mandatory training. OK, makes sense. Seems obvious. Now where did the experts say ATVs are too dangerous. People just read headlines, they dont take the time to read articles unless it pertains to them. The ATV community gets a black eye because the news media fails to remain unbiased.

Also:

Because there was no law prohibiting it, the Rabes thought it was safe.

"It would have saved our son's life if there had been a law that said he was too small to ride that," says Sue Rabe.

...Others, like the Rabes, never thought the dealer would sell them an ATV that wasn't safe for Kyle to ride.

I hate to be this way but what ever happened to responsibility and parenting, do they not coexist anymore? It always seems to be someone elses fault. Do we need the government to establish laws in everything. Maybe we can just drop our kids off and let the government raise them, because from the above quote, it seems as if we cannot make our own decisions.

Everytime something happens we look for someone else to blame. "It wasn't the killers fault, it was the gun manufacturer." "It isnt the parents fault, its the ATVs."

Jack your right, in the next couple of years we will all be walking around in pressurized protection bubbles, with no contact, and anything to do.

Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »

Adult supervision would have probably prevented the kids from getting hit by the car. Parents need to be with their kids when riding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
bumblemoose

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:09:30 PM »

I was thinking the same thing about those scooters, they are everywhere and most don't even have brakes.

87 TRX 310R (Sold)with a bunch of stuff on it.
Shotgun
Supreme Member

2003 Yamaha Kodiak, 2004 Suzuki Eiger, 2007 Seadoo

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:50:36 PM »

The knee jerk reaction is always the same, we had better ban them. Ban everything that could possibly hurt people. You can't protect epople from themselves. Stupid.
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »

Yeah they better ban swimming pools while there at it, how many kids die each year from drowning.

TurboBanshee_kid
Supreme Member

banshee's 4 life and 2stroke's 4 life!!!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 06:25:35 PM »

I'm 15teen I have been riding ATV'S for 4 0r 3 years now I started off riding a honda 300ex and I do stopyes and wheelies and all that good stuff  but never was did get hurt I think I'm a good rider but some dum kids should not ride ATV'S.
AND THERE THE ONE'S THAT ARE GOING TO OUT LAW MY BIG BAD DS650. [smiley=Angry.gif] [smiley=Angry.gif] Angry Angry Angry

New to the Engine 421cc Cheetah Cubs that are fully race ported, Hot Rods 4mm Stroker Crank, Ricky Stator fly wheel and 200watt stator also timing plate is at +5, NOSS Head with 17cc domes, V force 3 reeds and 36mm MIKUNI Flat Slide carbs
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »

Atv keys need to be locked away so kid dont have access to them. parent at work, kid get out of school and off there go

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 07:21:41 PM »

More kids get killed riding their bycicles then ATVs. Also whoever says that you have to be 12 to ride a 90 has lost his mind. I think it should be based on the childs skill level and size. NOT by how old the kid is. Angry

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MOKAS

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 10:17:29 PM »

exactly, you have a better chance dieng while taking a trip on an airplane Sad

MIKEMOKAS

'06 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI,
2in front
Highlifter clutched
Highlifter reduced

'02 Sportsman 500HO -Traded-
2in front
26in PXT Take-Offs

00 Yamaha Blaster 67.75mm Wiseco Piston, and a couple other things... Gone but not forgotten..

'96 trail boss 250.. Gone and forgotten.
superstar
Supreme Member

YALLMINEHAULS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 11:36:54 AM »

Usually kids that are dumb enough to ride out in front of a car, should be banned from atvs. Kids and atvs are the same as kids and guns. Take the time to teach them right from wrong, and kick their a$$ when theyre wrong. I guarantee you they wont do wrong.
wakeriderof87

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 08:25:14 PM »

The first article wasn't to bad, mostly good info.  But the second two were just plain off.  It was a Yamaha 80 4 moto.  My parents were always there when I rode it.  And I always wore a helmet.  Never once was injured.  My sister inherited that bike and was never hurt on it once.  She is getting a TRX250 sportrax tomorrow.  

I ride on two wheels
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com